RFID Theft Concerns and Prevention.

frayne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
A piece of aluminium foil the size of a dollar bill kept in the folding wallet should take care of snoopers. Some walletts have a liner which can hide the foil.

My DH and DS have RFID protected wallets. I have sleeves that fit around each chip card. We have RFID sleeves for our passports.

AAA has all these products. Worth it IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Just curious what the crowd thinks about RFID theft. Saw this pop up on Amazon today and since DW has been suggesting I need a new wallet, thought I might just try one of these things out. I know of one person, a lady who was ripped off (RFID theft) out in Vegas awhile back.

What say you oh wise denizens of the ERF ?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BT0KJ88/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2KDS4GLUM0J1B

Read the Amazon review from the guy who holds his wallet up everyday to get into his lab and it has no problem reading his ID (Aug 27, 2015).

I don't worry about this.

You're probably confusing your chip-and-signature or chip-and-pin card with an RFID card. Chipped cards that have to be inserted into a reader to work are not RFID-capable. RFID cards would be cards you could just bring near the reader without inserting or swiping the stripe. The only RFID card I've ever had is the access card for my workplace.

You're probably confusing your chip-and-signature or chip-and-pin card with an RFID card. Chipped cards that have to be inserted into a reader to work are not RFID-capable. RFID cards would be cards you could just bring near the reader without inserting or swiping the stripe. The only RFID card I've ever had is the access card for my workplace.

That would be any of the "tap and pay" type cards. If all you've got is magnetic strip/chip reader cards, no need for the RFID blocker. And if you have one of the tap and pay cards, still no need, IMHO. Getting your CC info stolen the good old fashioned way (hack the server) is much much more likely.

That would be any of the "tap and pay" type cards. If all you've got is magnetic strip/chip reader cards, no need for the RFID blocker. And if you have one of the tap and pay cards, still no need, IMHO. Getting your CC info stolen the good old fashioned way (hack the server) is much much more likely.
Right, thanks, I didn't remember the "tap and pay" name. I think in the US at least, "tap and pay" is mostly being used with people's smartphones, although cards are available. Your card would have the contactless symbol on it.

Attachments

• contactless.jpg
    contactless.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 92
The Citi Costco card and my passport and global entry cards are the only RFID things I own.

I haven't worried about it too much although I'm more inclined to protect my passport. The Global Entry card was sent with an RFID shield sleeve to keep it in.

FWIW, the last time I was in an REI store they had a staggering array of wallets, card sleeves, passport wrappers, etc., etc. with RFID protection.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Read the Amazon review from the guy who holds his wallet up everyday to get into his lab and it has no problem reading his ID (Aug 27, 2015).

^This.

I w*rked with a dude who was all about the latest and greatest technology. He came in one day with one of these "blocking wallets" that he paid about $70 for. I took my flightline badge, stuck it in there and went to access the flightline. I didn't even have to put the thing outside my car window to open the gate. :D

what is rfid?

if it's something that can steal my credit card info I'm not too concerned - after I had my ID stolen in 2014 those kind of things don't bother that much

^This.

I w*rked with a dude who was all about the latest and greatest technology. He came in one day with one of these "blocking wallets" that he paid about $70 for. I took my flightline badge, stuck it in there and went to access the flightline. I didn't even have to put the thing outside my car window to open the gate. :D
+ 2, double this.

I have a supposed RFID blocking wallet. I didn't get it for that feature, it just has it. I put my Megacorp badge in it as a test. Fail. The reader had no problem letting me in.

As someone else mentioned, the real problem isn't RFID, the problem is server hacking.

Back
Top Bottom