Right in the thick of it

I don't have to imagine it . I was on a cruise ship during a hurricane 11 years ago .I could not believe how a boat that big could be tossed about .We were only in open sea for one night as they were trying to get the boat to Miami .It was so scarey .People were sleeping in the lobby in their life vests .

My FIL went through the infamous typhoon in the Pacific during WWII. He was on a tin can (destroyer) and said the only thing that saved them from capsizing was they had refueled the day before and were riding low in the water. Two other destroyers were not so lucky and capsized drowning several hundred sailors.

He said that they were in the typhoon for over a day and routinely rolled over 45 degrees. Several members of the crew had broken bones from getting thrown around the ship. He also said that there weren't too many athesists on the ship during the storm.

My understanding is that the Navy wanted to court martial Admiral Halsey for leading the fleet into the typhoon but becasue he was a national hero they decided to let the matter drop.

2soon

Back
Top Bottom