Run, unclemick! (unclemick checks in on page 8!!!)

Interesting article - for a Yale person - I knew all the people/places shown in the pictures.

Alas - like Hayne boulevard camps(after 1998 hurricane) - I suspect rebuilding will not be permited - historical memory now.

Lola's stuffed crabs are now in the Gulf of Mexico - along with our frigerator.

We're going to take the day off and putz around St. Joe.

Hmmm - I just counted - 5 Jimmy Buffett shirts(Aloha?) - 5 shorts and two pair Dickies coveralls summer weight.

Heh, heh, heh, heh, - DUH? - when does winter come to Missouri?

I'm so glad to hear from you UncleMick! It is amazing how someone you've never met can make you worry so. I do hope that you get settled in ok in Missouri.

I also hope that your S.O. will be able to rebuild her chunky jewlery collection ~ ha!

Martha said:
UncleM:  data on St. Joe, including climate data:  http://www.city-data.com/city/St.-Joseph-Missouri.html

Starts getting into the 40s in November.

St. Joe, birthplace of Walter Cronkite and Eminem. 
Looks like a pretty nice area to live. Gonna be a temperature adjustment though. Fairly cold during the winter compared to what he has been use to. A complete change of seasons might be nice tho. Don't get much of that in the deep south.

Unclemick and Dog 51, VERY GLAD to know that you are both safe!

Momtwo

So glad to hear that you and your family are safe!

Uncle Mick: I spent some time on GoogleEarth investigating St. Joe. I believe I've found two possible donut shops for you. I'm currently trying to appraise the quality of the Bismarks and other jelly-filled products.

I also have a used piece of junk snowblower to help you begin the new accumulation phase in Missouri--if you want it. Sometimes all it takes to start a new pile is one item. :D For septic, you're on your own.

--Greg

Do you know what it means, to miss New Orleans..?? Glad you made it UncleMick. Hope you like St. Joe. You traded a hurricane every so often for months of snow and cold weather. Oh well, if you're retired and got the moola, why not? :)

How about a little blow-by-blow on Katrina? Anything you want to share? Did you escape on Sunday or wait till it actually hit??

Hey unclemick,

While I don't have much info on St. Joe, if you've ever thought about the great metro St. Louis area, I could give you the low down on my backyard :)

Good luck on finding a new place.

--Peter

unclemick, glad to hear that you and yours are safe!

Sorry to hear about your camp  :(

St. JO MO?  Yer almost to... Nebraska!  I assume you're staying with relatives, to end up all the way over there.  But really, there are more Norwegians in Wisconsin...  ;)

Hey UncleMick:

I had been thinking about you the last several days whenever the news came on about the flooding/disaster in NOLA. So glad to know you made it out safely! Good luck on finding a new home, and take care.

Our neighborhood is collecting money and putting together personal hygiene kits (i.e. towels, toothbrushes, soap, combs, gallon zip-lock bags, etc.) to help out with the relief efforts down there. I can only imagine the horrors and hardships of all those who lost so much in this tragedy.

Yep - weird is all I can say.

Did the drill - in spite of certain reluctance to leave - so we are in relatively good shape compared to the horror stories on TV.

So Red Cross is giving us money and toletries, FEMA is paying the hotel room as of today for 14 days - relatives keep trying to 'help me' and so on.

Now if I were a 'Terhorst' with no disaster - I'd be a normal tourist spending my own money - this is weird - I also get get the impression - to refuse help - would hurt their feelings and/or piss them off.

I would take the voucher and if you didn't use it return it to the provider. If it is stuff then accept what is offered and give it to an evacuee who needs it more than you. Families with kids go through 'stuff' fast.

Hi Unclemick, I'm new to the southeast - just transplanted from Kansas City and parts northeast of there. Know St. Joe some, surrounding areas better... Anything in particular you want to know just ask, between me and my dh I'm sure we can help. Glad to hear you made it out ok and had a nice dry place to land (in spite of the tornadoes).

We're looking at Ophelia right now, from St. Augustine, FL. If it hits it will be our first (and possibly our last). Moved aboard in January and been all over Florida. Nice timing-just when they say the seasons will be getting worse each year.

Regardless, feel free to pick our brains about Missouri... sure miss it sometimes!

Back
Top Bottom