Sad Day for Boy Scouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
DH was a scout and loved it, until a bunch of the other parents raised a stink about FIL leading so many activities, since he was an atheist.

I was friends with a guy in high school who was an Eagle Scout, until I found out that he'd raped a friend of mine. So I'm not convinced that being an Eagle Scout means anything about a reliable judge of character.

Then there was the whole "we don't want the gays" thing.

And any organization that aids and abets child abusers deserves to go down (I'm looking at you, Catholic church).

I'm not really crying. I don't see the Boy Scouts as being all that beneficial, actually.

+1

Being an introvert, I never had any interest in being a Boy Scout. And if anyone there ever found out I was an atheist, that would have exposed me to bullying in addition to the day-to-day bullying I got in school (assuming they didn't kick me out).

In a recent news report, they interviewed Mitch Garabedian, a Boston lawyer who represented Boston-area sex abuse victims of the Boston Archdiocese. I recognized that name from the 2015 movie, "Spotlight" which told the story about how the Boston Globe exposed the scandal.

I have no respect or time for any organization that perverts justice by either failing to produce records/ or fail to respond completely to court requests. Or, in the case of some faith based groups lie under oath and/or move assets out of the country in contravention of a court order in order to avoid payment.

Very sad to see this this. Just wish that those who aided and abetted these cover ups would be dealt with in the same way the perpetrators are AND held personally liable in litigation settlements.

Bottom line is that these abusers look to join any organization or faith group that gives them access to victims. Preferably those organizations that are well known for covering up the abuse such as faith based groups.

Last edited:
Thanks for the interesting discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom