Safely Storing a Snowblower/Lawnmower

marko

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Quickie:
For 45 years I used to keep my trusty Ariens snowblower in our garage which, more accurately was more or less a large drafty barn, separate from the house. I'd just shut it off and leave it there.

Now:
We just moved to a new-built house that has a large garage under the house and I'm wondering how safe it is to keep it in the garage (gas fumes). There's no ignition sources like water heater/furnace there, just two cars.

We go in/out several times a day so fresh air comes in regularly.

My only outdoor storage space is behind our deck which, in a snowstorm would make it impractical to access.

A few of our new neighbors have their lawnmower/snowblower in their garages but 'airtight' houses are new to us and I'm just wondering. For a few personal reasons I'm overly, overly paranoid about such things.

Any insight appreciated.

I've always stored my mower (riding and push) and snow blower in the attached garage. As well as a gas can with an open vent. I've always had garages on the same level as the 1st floor of the house. I keep the gas can as far from the house door as I can. I never run the engines while the garage door is closed. I've never noticed gas smells in the house and I haven't died or had a fire yet. But that's my approach. Short of building an outside shed (which is the ideal), there aren't many options.

I got an electric lawnmower last year and learned it can't be stored out in the garage all winter here in MN - I store it in my basement. It can't be stored in subfreezing temps. Snow blower is still in the garage.

From another recent and related thread (Link below)... Here is what I said on the subject... Never had any problems,,,, so far! YMMV.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/ugh-power-outage-106441.html

I usually keep up to ~30 gallons of "extra" fuel (~10 gals of gas ~20 gals of diesel) in one of my barns to run all the machines/equipment I use... I do use approved containers and store it securely. I say "extra" fuel since I also have my two cars typically parked in the same barn. Both of those have 20+ gallons fuel tanks so there is another 40+.... Add the fuel that's sitting in the tanks for all the equipment (tractor, riding lawn mower, portable generator(s), chain saw, weed eaters, power washer, etc, and I probably have ~100 gallons in total in that barn at times...

Last edited:
I always drain the fuel or run it dry at the end of the season. Whatever fuel is left should evaporate. This is to to protect your motor from skanky fuel, esp when it’s equipment that sits 9 mos of the year. Obviously it’s safer and less concern for odors entering the living space. I do sometimes have a gallon or so of fuel in a vented can in my attached garage and no issues. If it was detectable in the garage or in the house DW would let me know.

I always drain the fuel or run it dry at the end of the season. Whatever fuel is left should evaporate. This is to to protect your motor from skanky fuel, esp when it’s equipment that sits 9 mos of the year.
I use sta-bil whenever I am storing (or don't expect to use) a piece of gas equipment for an extended period of time... There are those who have "claimed" that fuel system seals/gaskets/hoses/etc can dry out and crack without fuel in the system for long periods of time.... Honestly, I've done it both ways and never really have "many" problems either way.

Last edited:
We always keep snowblower in the garage.. for both our current detached garage and our previous attached garage. Along with a few cans of gasoline. Not a problem.

There's no ignition sources like water heater/furnace there, just two cars.

There being no ignition sources is key when storing gas. That’s good.

Having said that, I store my snowblower in my attached garage in the winter. As you said, if I store it in my shed, it wouldn’t be very accessible in the event of a snow storm and of course, that’s when it’s needed. I’ve never had a problem. I actually do have an ignition source in my garage (water heater and furnace) so it concerns me enough not to store any gas in a gas can in there. However, it is not air tight and the equipment room is one step in height above the garage floor. Fumes tend to drop from what I understand. Been here 4 years now and now issues. The previous owner stored his lawn tractor in the garage year round (I built a shed).

Also, the equipment, assuming it’s relatively new is probably pretty air tight. Probably close to as air tight as your cars which obviously have a lot of gas stored. I don’t think you have anything to worry about.

One other thing, I never add gas to the snowblower while it’s in the garage. If I spill, I don’t want it in the garage.

As Jazz mentioned, I would run the unit dry for storage. Fumes are much more likely in a warm/hot temp. Plus, it’s a good step IMHO for long term storage. I run mine dry and have never had a problem getting them started the next season. Been doing that for decades and have always kept my machines a long time.

Thanks all!
In the summer I can store it under my deck, making a bit more room in the garage. I was mainly concerned about gas fumes when I bring it into the garage for winter use.

Assuming your equipment is in good repair, any gas fumes are negligible to begin with and will dissipate given the large volume of air in a garage.

I stored both the mower/snowblower in a tuck-under garage for 30 years with no fume smell in the house or even in the garage.

Attached garage. mower. snow blower, 5kw generator. 5 gal Jerrycan of gas. Several 1 gallon cans of flammable solvents. 25 years. So far, so good.

The Sta-Bil people have done a wonderful job of sowing FUD re gasoline storage. I have never used the stuff and never felt a need.

In the garage is safe and fine. I agree that it is best to run the fuel out of both the tank and the carb since it is a seldom used piece of equipment. New gas with 10% ethanol goes bad quicker, and can cause corrosion in the small passages in the carb. This will cause issues when you want to get the snowblower started and running it If dry, just fill with fresh gas and it's ready to go.

A modern home is built to seal off automobile exhaust fumes from the attached garage. Gas fumes should be similarly eliminated to the house by design. I keep all sorts of gas equipment and spare gas containers in my attached garage. No issue.

Gas fumes are heavier than air which is why water heaters and gas driers, if in the garage, are required to be above the garage floor about 18 inches to the burner.

I got an electric lawnmower last year and learned it can't be stored out in the garage all winter here in MN - I store it in my basement. It can't be stored in subfreezing temps. Snow blower is still in the garage.

I store my Ego in the garage in sub-freezing temps all winter. What's the problem? Keep the batteries in the house but the lawnmower should be fine in the cold, right? I've done it for 4 winters.

Also would have no problem leaving gas snowblower in garage.

Interesting note- Briggs and Stratton recommends filling the gas tank before storage for prolonged periods.

"Top off the fuel tank before storing.
Filling the tank helps prevent moisture from condensing in your fuel tank, and stops rust and scale before it starts.
Before you fill up add STA-BIL Storage, according to package directions. After adding the treated fuel to the fuel tank, run your mower for a few minutes so the stabilized fuel circulates through the engine's fuel system."

couple things. 1 - electric mower, agree that only battery needs to be indoors. B - StaBil, or any other gas stabilizer has an expiration/spoilage date. if you use only a portion of it every year, after coupl3 yrs, it will be no good

When I'm a good boy, I run my various engines dry. Even pull the choke and try to restart to get every drop out I can.
Then take out the spark plug and drip in some car oil, and lightly put the plug back on and pull the cord again to spread the oil around.

One engine I did this to very religiously worked fine for 40 yrs. Finally had to stop using it as the attached pump totally rusted shut.

Interesting note- Briggs and Stratton recommends filling the gas tank before storage for prolonged periods.

"Top off the fuel tank before storing.
Filling the tank helps prevent moisture from condensing in your fuel tank, and stops rust and scale before it starts.
Before you fill up add STA-BIL Storage, according to package directions. After adding the treated fuel to the fuel tank, run your mower for a few minutes so the stabilized fuel circulates through the engine's fuel system."
I inherited a 6.5kw generator (w/10hp engine) a few years ago from my DD. It still had about 1/2 a tank of gas that was treated with sta-bil "at least 5 years before". I know, because I poured it in myself... I also know the generator was never used since my dad couldn't have pulled it through in his later years. But he liked knowing it was in his garage, just in case....

Anyway, when he passed away, I hauled the generator home figuring I could empty the gas tank, clean it up and try to get it going again... Much to my surprise, I sprayed a little (well a lot) of starter fluid in the air filter, pulled it through and it started up on the ~third try.... I ran it about 30 mins on the old gas, shut it down and then just filled it up.... Still runs great. Did the sat-bil help? I don't know, but it made a believer out of me.

Last edited:
1. SNOWBLOWER: It doesn't snow in New Orleans. Actually I have never even seen a snowblower in real life.

2. LAWNMOWER: I have a lawn guy who brings his own equipment, so I do not own a lawnmower or edger any more. He mows and edges, and this costs me an average of $24/week. He does the same for numerous others in the neighborhood as well. Mowing lawns is not just an occasional income boost for him; it is his sole occupation and has been so for decades.

To me, having a lawn guy is worth what I pay. This clears out my weekends for more enjoyable activities, plus I have no need to buy, maintain, or store lawn equipment. Not only that, but I feel that my money is going towards providing employment for a hard working, reliable, decent person who does good work.

In the garage is safe and fine. I agree that it is best to run the fuel out of both the tank and the carb since it is a seldom used piece of equipment. New gas with 10% ethanol goes bad quicker, and can cause corrosion in the small passages in the carb. This will cause issues when you want to get the snowblower started and running it If dry, just fill with fresh gas and it's ready to go.

Yes. Because of the ethanol, check to see if premium gas is available without ethanol in your area. For the couple extra bucks high-test may be worth the expense.

The snowblower will be fine in the garage. I keep mine there in the winter too, as while I can get if from the shed, doing so is cumbersome when there's a foot or more of snow. In the spring I drain the entire fuel system, tank, fuel lines, and carburetor bowl (there's a screw or bolt on the bottom to drain that). Past experience with leaving fuel in the tank notwithstanding, the fuel that goes into cars now is not the same stuff we got 30 years ago. If you leave it in the tank bad stuff happens to most people's equipment. Just ask the guys at your local small engine shop.

Yes. Because of the ethanol, check to see if premium gas is available without ethanol in your area. For the couple extra bucks high-test may be worth the expense.
Yes this is what I do. All of my small engines run premium with no ethanol. Never had an issue with bad gas after over-wintering or over summering. Snowblower is in garage in the winter along with several other Stihl gas powered tools. No issues.

I believe most building codes specify a fire barrier (drywall) between the garage and the rest of the house. Even the door going from the garage to the house should be spec'd to impede fire burn through. If you basement garage has been constructed using similar standards - drywall on the walls and on the ceiling, appropriately rated doors - then it seems like you should be able to store your equipment down there.

Back
Top Bottom