Sea Lion Attacks

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
PERTH, Australia - A sea lion leaped out of the sea and attacked a 13-year-old girl as she surfed behind a speedboat off Australia’s west coast, a newspaper reported Sunday.

This story reminded me of something I saw a few years ago in Bodega Bay. There was a big sea lion that would always hang out in the water at the end of one of the floating docks.

I was watching him, when a high-heeled tourist, in very glitzy clothing, walks up to the end of the dock, leans down, gets her face very close to the sea lion, and starts making kissy noises.

After a few seconds of this, the sea lion lunged out of the water at her with a roar, coming several feet up onto the dock. That lady moved fast, and didn't get touched, but it was close.

Better than any Sea World show than I've seen.

Seals have popped up near me and barked aggressively in the past. It is unnerving since they are large wild animals and who knows if they are sick or pissed off. It is one more part of the wilderness experience.

Meet 'Humpy', a Hawaiian Monk Seal that frequently accosts tourists on South Maui and Molokini.

hawaii12.jpg
More photos here

He likes surf boards too!

monk_seal_humpy010706a.jpg

JB said:
Meet 'Humpy'
Strikes me that the humane thing to do would be to round up a female sea lion name "Humpess" (or something) and deposit her in that same spot of ocean. 8)

Please don't unless MS Lion is on birth control. Killer Whales isn't sufficiently numerous to keep the Sea Lion & Seal population in balance. The last whale that came my way was lost. I wish she had stayed around long enough to discover the neighborhood bounty and share the news with her pod.

Back
Top Bottom