Share One Fact About You Almost Noone Knows............

shiny said:
Was it a short term one like "Richard Reid" or longer term?

It was short term. Very similar to Richard Reid.

From my birth in the early 1950's to the early 1970's, I resided in 2 different hotels managed and operated by my parents near downtown Seattle. The two hotels were located side-by-side. One hotel was occupied only by Whites, and the other was occupied only by Blacks. The hotel occupied by the Blacks was remarkable in that it had a nice piano center-stage in the relatively large lobby that was played on by some of the great Black musicians of the 1940's and 1950's - people like "Satchmo" (Louis Armstrong), Duke Ellington, and Sam Cooke. The Harlem Globetrotters had also stayed at the hotel. The hotel was definitely not a fancy place, but because of rampant discrimination back then, the Blacks were not allowed to stay at the first-class hotels in town. By the time my parents purchased the hotel business (where the Blacks stayed) in the late 1960's, all the famous people no longer were staying there. But the former owners still had the hotel registrations showing the names/signatures of all those famous guests from the past. Unfortunately, my parents did not gain possession of those hotel registrations; they may have even been tossed by the former hotel owners. What a pity if that was the case 'cuz they may have served as wonderful pieces of archival information and historical interest. Luckily, the aforementioned piano is now sitting in the living room of my brother's home. And a beautiful embroidered tapestry "painting" (of flowers and birds framed in mother-of-pearl) that used to hang in the lobby of that same hotel is now hanging on the wall in my home. Brings back some very fun and fond memories from that time growing up. It was definitely different from living in the proverbial house with a white picket fence in the suburbs!

From my birth in the early 1950's to the early 1970's, I resided in 2 different hotels managed and operated by my parents near downtown Seattle. The two hotels were located side-by-side. One hotel was occupied only by Whites, and the other was occupied only by Blacks. The hotel occupied by the Blacks was remarkable in that it had a nice piano center-stage in the relatively large lobby that was played on by some of the great Black musicians of the 1940's and 1950's - people like "Satchmo" (Louis Armstrong), Duke Ellington, and Sam Cooke. The Harlem Globetrotters had also stayed at the hotel. The hotel was definitely not a fancy place, but because of rampant discrimination back then, the Blacks were not allowed to stay at the first-class hotels in town. By the time my parents purchased the hotel business (where the Blacks stayed) in the late 1960's, all the famous people no longer were staying there. But the former owners still had the hotel registrations showing the names/signatures of all those famous guests from the past. Unfortunately, my parents did not gain possession of those hotel registrations; they may have even been tossed by the former hotel owners. What a pity if that was the case 'cuz they may have served as wonderful pieces of archival information and historical interest. Luckily, the aforementioned piano is now sitting in the living room of my brother's home. And a beautiful embroidered tapestry "painting" (of flowers and birds framed in mother-of-pearl) that used to hang in the lobby of that same hotel is now hanging on the wall in my home. Brings back some very fun and fond memories from that time growing up. It was definitely different from living in the proverbial house with a white picket fence in the suburbs!

Fascinating! (these types of posts are what keep me cruising the archives listed at the bottom of current posts) Anyone want to add their secret facts?

I was hired by Hooters, but chickened out on actually starting work! (too many fellow sailors frequented the place!) Did you know that even the pantyhose they wear must be "uniform" by Hooters issue?

My sister and I helped capture a crook who broke into my neighbor's house while my Dad who was a sergeant in the state police watched football.My Aunt had the clipping from the newspaper laminated and still carries it around .

Fascinating! (these types of posts are what keep me cruising the archives listed at the bottom of current posts) Anyone want to add their secret facts?

When I was much younger, I was the state chess champion for my age group. Most people I know today have no idea I even play chess.

Nobody today knows that I always wanted to be a musical comedienne and a stand-up comic most of my life; but, unfortunately, the business world and making money took precedence as I had to support myself. I keep hoping that when my son has a child/children that one of them will take up the gavel and become a successful comic. Goofy goal, huh?
I did, however, talk a niece into doing stand-up for a living; but, at 300 plus pounds, she couldn't be the love interest very believably. She's doing well, too, and getting up there in popularity slowly and surely (well, she is getting more tv all the time, anyway).

Here's a slice of life: When I worked for the Minority Leader of the US Senate, Everett Dirksen, Mrs. Dirksen used to send me home with canned goods when I worked at her house. Go figure? Since they lived on the interest of their money only, I don't think that she had to can goods...but she did. Guess she got pleasure from it. They were--whether you agree politically with them or not (and my folks were diehard Dems)--down to earth people if nothing else. Now nobody but you guys know that, and who would ever figure that one?

Last edited:
I was on the Joan Rivers show to promote a book I wrote. Not fun---an introvert on national TV with that horrible woman who already had had a zillion face lifts even back then.....

:bat:

That reminds me: When Joan Rivers made her movie "Rabbit Test" with Billy Crystal about a man being pregnant, I went to see the movie when I was about 7-8 months pregnant as she would be there meeting and greeting theater goers. I stood last in line to shake her hand at the front of the theater as I was so paranoid about people bumping into me...but I had a 10 lb. whopper, and looked like I had twins even then. I was SO big that people in innercity Chicago actually turned around and stared at me even then! I tell you...big...and I have the stretch marks to prove it, too...BIG!!!!
Edgar, her now dead husband, was there; and he laughed his head off when he saw me in line I was so big. Seemed like a nice guy.
Joan Rivers offered to buy the baby if it was a boy. Damn her...during the times I would have gladly sold him because he was being a pain in the rear, I couldn't find her. She makes offers she doesn't go thru with....don't trust her....ha!

I lay awake at night and worry about what's going to happen to the family treasures that have been passed down. My daughter us unable to have children and my son has no plans of ever getting married....and no he's not gay. Of course both kids will get this stuff, but what then?
My grandfathers Marine Corps decorations, my great grandmothers cast iron stove, a collecion of old and rare firearms...the list goes on. It just wears on me that at some point their true history will be lost.

I once danced on a robot.

OK, guess I need to explain. This nightclub had a big robot (6-7' tall) that had a platform on the front of it. It had flashing lights, etc. and would move around the dance club floor. Girls would take turns hopping on and shaking their stuff...

I once danced on a robot.

OK, guess I need to explain. This nightclub had a big robot (6-7' tall) that had a platform on the front of it. It had flashing lights, etc. and would move around the dance club floor. Girls would take turns hopping on and shaking their stuff...

I wanna party with you! :)

My naked tush is available in print.

I sat on a snake in the bathroom when I was 15. Pics of the injury site and ensuing treatment were published in a couple of med books.

It just wears on me that at some point their true history will be lost.
I donated my midshipman parade uniform to the Smithsonian, and no doubt someday they'll get the rest of my seabag.

My naked tush is available in print.

I sat on a snake in the bathroom when I was 15. Pics of the injury site and ensuing treatment were published in a couple of med books.

Was this a snake in the toilet kind of thing? This is horrifying! (naked tush aside)

I lay awake at night and worry about what's going to happen to the family treasures that have been passed down.......

My grandfathers Marine Corps decorations, my great grandmothers cast iron stove, a collecion of old and rare firearms...the list goes on. It just wears on me that at some point their true history will be lost.

We have a Historical Society in our county, that has a very nice museum. They are always happy to receive things like that. Perhaps there is such a place in your area that you could donate your treasures to, and then they could be enjoyed (and treasured) not only by you and yours, but by many others too.

Also, our local Historical Society accepts things on 'consignment'. They protect, care for, and display the items.....but you remain the owner, and can take the things back any time you want to. That makes it nice, because they have the benefit of displaying the articles, but if you decide to 'pass it on' to family or friends....you still can! Or you can allow them to just be care takers while your alive, and then either become the new 'owners' at your demise, or your offspring can regain possession. All decisions are solely up to the donor.

So you may check into something like that to ease your mind.

In my twenties I was in a training film about face lifts and no I was not the patient .I was the surgical nurse .

Was this a snake in the toilet kind of thing? This is horrifying! (naked tush aside)

This was a copperhead on the seat kind of thing. It didn't appreciate being mooned and then mashed in the middle of the night. Now i turn on the light.....

In the 19th century, one member of my ancestral clan murdered a man. That's all I know about him.

I was on a speed roller skating team in my late 20's or early 30's.

My only request for my funeral is that "All Along the Watchtower" by Jimi Hendrix be played.

Back
Top Bottom