Shark Attack at My Break

But you know what scares me? Copperheads. And all you Southerners are acting like that's no big deal. My grandparents lived in SC for a while and the day grandma woke up to find a copperhead in her Kleenex box on the veranda is the day they called a realtor and put the house up for sale. I love to garden but I don't think I could hack it if there were snakes in the bushes. At least the poisonous snakes out here (CA) have the good grace to rattle and warn you when you're too close (unlike the sharks)...

Cottonmouths don't rattle either and their bite is a lot worse than a copperhead.

Out here we have a few rattlesnake species, scorpions and the occasional tarantula. No copperheads, no cottonmouths, no fireants, darn few mosquitoes, no fleas, no killer bees (yet) and no sharks. The Great Salt Lake does have brine shrip and a Killer Smell but that is about it.

I have encountered black bears and rattlesnakes here in Southern California -
both seem more afraid of me than I am of them. The black widows around my
house are in a running battle with me - I am ahead so far, a couple hundred to zero.
I am a little more leery of the grizzlies I may see in my upcoming Alaska trip - I
will be cycling at each of the 5 stops, and 4 have grizzlies (none at Ketchikan).
I had no problem with the Killer Shrimp in Marina Del Rey.

My ex-FIL had a place in Buckhorn, KY that was crawling with coppermouth rattleheads. I was out drinking with a bunch of [-]good old boys[/-] fellows one night, and one of them commented that he wished he had "arn legs"... :p

The alternative was to wear sections of stovepipe on each leg... :D

I had a scary encounter with a water moccasin in Talledagga onetime.........:(

I had a scary encounter with a water moccasin in Talledagga onetime.........:(

They are very aggressive, especially in water. One dropped into our canoe from an overhead tree and we let him have the boat.

I had one "eat" a whole stringer of fish once. I pulled up the stringer which had 4-5 good sized crappie on it and the darn snake had bitten and swallowed them all. In the end I won and wore his skin on a hat for a number of years. You don't mess with my fish. :bat:

Another surfer (an American) was killed recently, this time by a gray shark at Troncones, a popular Mexican surf spot near Ixtapa. Shark attacks are reportedly very rare in Mexico. Of course, in the places I've surfed there, no one would generally have known if I'd been et.

Nice. If the boat towing the guy and the fake shark had a little more line you wouldnt have seen the wake. ;)

Back
Top Bottom