Shorttimer's disease

doneat54

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
{Random Thoughts Here, feel free to add...}

I spent some time in a meeting creating my "days left" Excel spreadsheet calendar, anguishing over whether to start with today and just do next cell = prev cell minus one, or start with last work day, cell =0 and all previous add one. I chose the latter.

84 work days left.

When I tell people I am retiring many ask me "How old are you??". I find it amusing because my wife has been asking me that for decades, but usually doesn't have anything to do with retiring.

In meetings, the term "FY2017" shuts down my attention span in nanoseconds.

I don't worry about what I am going to do with my time. I have always had far more interests that I had time to spend with them and, prioritized, "W*rk" never was very high on that list.

A former boss of mine recently said, "Yeah, work has always been kind of an inconvenience for you, hasn't it?"

I just made a 1 week vacation in Europe next summer into a 2 week vacation. Because I could.

I paste the attached picture into interoffice chat conversations often.

I will miss seeing some good friends every day. Many are also getting "dispersed" due to a megacorp re-org, but we have vowed to meet for lunch a couple times a month.

I have cut my own hair since 1994.

feel free to add your own.......

Attachments

• do-i-look-like-care.jpg
    do-i-look-like-care.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 269
When I was approaching my end date, I changed this over to my screensaver background... And wasn't at my computer much anyways by then, :D

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1471375323.207226.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

For about the last 6 months, I used this as the closing page of several powerpoints, even with big audiences several pay grades higher than me:
url2.jpeg

As somebody who is 2 weeks away (only in the technical sense) from retiring, I give this thread two big thumbs up!

For the last two weeks, I began telling random off-color jokes in mixed company durng work hours. I tried to make sure the HR director (who was in the office next to mine) was always within earshot. I'm sure this was the longest two weeks for her.

Because I was generally a very well-liked employee, this was great fun for everyone else.

OK, since this thread seems to be veering towards irreverence... When I was a contractor with the Dept of Energy, the cultural standard Powerpoint format always had slide 1 with your name and job title. So whenever I had to do a presentation I would start mine as "J.J. Quantz, Petty Bureaucrat 2nd Class" or some such. Always got a laugh and I never was called on it.

I certainly have no concern about issues that go beyond my remaining time (about 7 1/2 months).

Funny stuff. And yes, my propensity for "snarky comments" in meetings is on the rise.

You could always make suggestions in meetings that will create extra work for those who annoyed you the most over your career.

Lots of possibilities come to mind, but the fact is I work with some great people (many of whom are also losing their jobs and NOT in a position to retire) and I have animosity for no one (at least no one that I would be in a meeting with!). But the opportunities to inject humor where I might have otherwise kept my mouth shut are great...

I had it the first time I "retired". Then the group desperately needed physicians to take care of the patients. I filled in here and there and more people left. I finally said enough. The second time my last day of work was just like any other day. The turnover on our unit has been very high. Nurses have become nurse practitioners. Most of the docs have left and they have a lot of moonlighters. So no long goodbyes--I did that 2 years ago.

Two weeks into retirement and I'm struggling to find a routine. It's been so hot and sticky and I've been feeling lazy. That is finally changing this week.

I'm retiring at the same time DS is job hunting. DH who hasn't had a j*b in about 7 years spends all his time doing music..some of it for pay. It's weird having all of us around much of the day. Job hunting is mostly online nowadays, so DS doesn't get out much. He went to college out of state and didn't party, so he made no lasting connections. He feels almost friendless. He spends each evening chatting with his best friend and online gaming at the same time. Best friend is a computer geek and lives an hour away. He's happy then.

DS and I both feel a little like we're adrift at sea. He's been a bit lost in the job search since music teaching positions are few and far between.
He has two part time jobs lined up starting in September.

It's distressing to him and I am distressed for him. So I felt stuck too.

Then last week a former teacher of his and neighbor called about a position that opened up in a neighboring school district. It is perfect for him. Will he get it? The competition is fierce, but we'll see.

It really helps to see DS finally moving forward.

Once he gets working I will feel much more at peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Total of 34 w*rk hours and counting that remain. Mailed in the signed documents yesterday. Cruising through the week on a nice glide path. Definitely have the shorttimer's disease, but I really don't care! lol

Once my pension vested (concurrent with reaching my other FI goals) I sort of relaxed and slipped into OMY mode. That lasted almost 7 years. Didn't really experience Shorttimer's disease in the classical sense. It was the best time of my c@reer - until it wasn't which is when I pulled the trigger. No time for Shorttimer's disease, I guess. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom