Sibling Doesn’t have a dime to his name

Your description of your DD is a carbon copy of my 20 year old niece, my DS struggles daily with every item you just talked about. Someone who hasn't been thru it can't understand the emotional and financial toll mental illness takes on the entire family.

Indeed. I think part of what is so hard is that it is so difficult to know when to pull the plug on the financial help. It wouldn't be that hard for an adult child with no mental illness. Our younger son had graduated college and was sort of aimless about what he was going to do next. Looking for a job but being picky/not liking options. We were clear with him that, hey, he had graduated so needed to support himself. In his case, that went fine. He thought about and decided to go to grad school (on his cost). SO that was fine.

But, with mental illness it makes it hard. You want to help so much. And, with each cost it is hard to know where to draw the line. This one won't bankrupt you but cumulatively it can really affect standard of living over time. And, eventually, we realized that we aren't really helping her. She isn't using the help to help her to try to get better.

ection 8 housing usually has huge waiting list. It can easily take a couple of years. But there is another program where you find an apartment and if the landlord is willing to take the amount directly from the housing authority that they are willing to pay the apartment can be rented. Many landlords will do this as it guarantees them the rent. This type of funding is also a lot easier to get.
Or option B, she could just get (and keep) a job and support herself without gaming the system.

GoBears can speak for himself, but I don't have the sense that he wants to coach his daughter in the most efficient way to enter welfare dependency.

Daycare is so expensive that she is going to need supports to be able to support her child. I was not suggesting going on welfare. Sometimes there are programs based on income to help pay for daycare too. If she is working a minimum wage job she can't probably afford an apartment let alone the costs of raising a child which includes daycare. When I was a social worker we helped people get off welfare by using the government programs that they qualified for. Often they would get health insurance on their job which saved the government a ton of $.

Illness of close family members -- be it physical or mental -- impacts the whole family. Katsmeow, I wish your family the best. You sound like a thoughtful, caring parent to both of your kids. I agree that protecting your financial future is very important. You'll still have the option to support your daughter and grand daughter in non-financial ways, as you see appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom