Single-serve latte makers?

steelyman

Moderator Emeritus
I think I’ve been retired long enough to move past my trusty drip coffee maker. I’m interested in a good latte maker and bet there are good opinions here.

I’m not too fancy or snobbish but would like something good and consistent/reliable. Any opinions?

I searched on this topic but found a thread about ten years old and bet things have changed since then.

DW is another latte person. At least two every morning. She got one of these a few years ago and loves it. She uses the "fill it yourself" K-cups rather than the single use ones.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-01 at 10.52.53 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-04-01 at 10.52.53 AM.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 69
DW is another latte person. At least two every morning. She got one of these a few years ago and loves it. She uses the "fill it yourself" K-cups rather than the single use ones.

This.
We recently bought this when our other regular Keurig went kaput.
I love it! We use both single use and refillable/reusable K cups.
Makes good foam, whole milk works best, soy and other non milk, not as much.

La Pavoni Europiccola.

Much more expensive than anything likely to be suggested.
Steep learning curve.
Dangerous if misused.
Buy a real tamper because the plastic one that comes with is worthless.

But it makes coffee as good as anything you can get in Italy, every single time. And you only need buy one per lifetime. My coffee journey which ended with "me retiring to a coffee farm" started with a Europiccola more than 30 years ago.

These look interesting, thanks for the replies. I’m leaning towards the Keurig as it seems simplest. Don’t want to spend lots of time cleaning and tuning/tweaking.

I find Nespresso tastes better than Keurig, and they have some nice units to do a good milk froth that you need for any latte.

A good latte isn't simple. I make one every morning, starting with grinding the beans. Takes me a few minutes, but so worth it.

I also have a Nespresso and don’t drink milk. My children do and DW used to, so I bought a Nespresso frother (link) which is fabulous. It is stand-alone so DW uses it for other drinks as well. My children love it

I also have a Nespresso and don’t drink milk. My children do and DW used to, so I bought a Nespresso frother (link) which is fabulous. It is stand-alone so DW uses it for other drinks as well. My children love it

OK, you have me interested. :D

Can you quickly describe the process, how it works and how long it takes to make the frothy milk? I am considering giving it as a gift, and I know that person will not want anything that is complicated or takes too much time to setup, use and cleanup.

OK, you have me interested. :D

Can you quickly describe the process, how it works and how long it takes to make the frothy milk? I am considering giving it as a gift, and I know that person will not want anything that is complicated or takes too much time to setup, use and cleanup.

The product page at Amazon includes a video showing how it is operated (here) It really is as simple as it looks.The newer models have warm and regular modes. There are 2 whisks. The one in use is held in place magnetically, the other is stored in a compartment in the base. The inside is stainless, so quick and easy to clean.

I’m a big fan of Nespresso (original capsules). I rarely use milk, but when I do, I use the Aeroccino3 frother that Michael mentioned. My kids use it all the time. Easy to clean and does a good job. I prefer this setup over lattes at most coffee shops.

There's nothing like espresso made with freshly ground beans. Consider the Breville Bambino Plus and a burr grinder. The Bambino Plus is an excellent espresso maker without all the fuss of pulling shots and it has an auto milk frother that'll deliver perfect lattes every time. Plus you can try a world-full of beans that are freshly roasted at any roast level.

Heaven in a cup.

La Pavoni Europiccola.

Much more expensive than anything likely to be suggested.
Steep learning curve.
Dangerous if misused.
Buy a real tamper because the plastic one that comes with is worthless.

But it makes coffee as good as anything you can get in Italy, every single time. And you only need buy one per lifetime. My coffee journey which ended with "me retiring to a coffee farm" started with a Europiccola more than 30 years ago.

Much respect -- a true classic! I'm biding my time to get a lever machine. The Flair 58 has been intriguing me lately -- no milk steaming though.

Much respect -- a true classic! I'm biding my time to get a lever machine. The Flair 58 has been intriguing me lately -- no milk steaming though.

Amortized over its life (I think I paid $300 for it), it has cost me $0.83 per month for the ability to make coffee just as good as I enjoyed in Italy.

If I lacked funds, I'd buy a Bialetti Moka Pot. I have several coffee makers from Turkish to the MoccaMaster. But mostly I use the Europiccola. It really spoils the user.

Last edited:
We love our Nespresso and milk frother. Look at their website for the different pod flavors. Very easy to use and tastes a lot better than Keurig.
We use the Vertuo line.

The product page at Amazon includes a video showing how it is operated (here) It really is as simple as it looks.The newer models have warm and regular modes. There are 2 whisks. The one in use is held in place magnetically, the other is stored in a compartment in the base. The inside is stainless, so quick and easy to clean.

MichaelB thanks for the link. I actually have a milk frother and now I know how to use it.

From my travels in South Florida and in NY I have become partial to Cuban coffee latte. I may need to get a machine and make some myself. But I want max benefit from min effort, so I'm a bit torn but this definitely helped.

Good article.
We chose the Keurig special edition because it was less expensive to buy and to use (almost any coffee pod brand fits, as does generic refillable/reusable ones)
We buy fresh beans and grind day of use, and use filtered water.
DH prefers regular, strong coffee, I like the cappuccino/lattes.
Delicious!
Good luck in your decision making.

While it may be too close to your drip process, the Bialetti for about $30 makes great coffee, in less than five minutes, which I just add to milk to have a latte.

If you are looking for steamed foam, like a cappuccino, this is not your answer.

Keurig is what we have and enjoy it very much.

Jura Ena Micro 1.

Been running for 6 years now. Still as good as new.

I bought one of those that stayed with the ex. It lasted about 2-3 years before it stopped working. I suspect it might be due to a maintenance issue.

Do you perform any regular maintenance?

I debate about getting one again to replace the Nespresso, but not sure it’s worth the cost.

Back
Top Bottom