Skylight repair options

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have one skylight that is leaking. I got an estimate to remove trim on all 4 skylights, recaulk and replace for $790. There are no warranties.

Other option (same company) is to replace all skylights with new skylights, incl flashing, etc. That is $3900 with 2 yr workmanship and 5 yr manufacturer warranty.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

My Velux skylight started leaking and I was surprised to find that they have a lifetime warranty. Long story short, I got them to just send me a rebuild kit for free and I fixed it myself. Not a bad job.

To T-Al: how big are your skylights? Mine has a cracked dome, and needs replacement. It's fairly large at about 4'X4'.

Why mess with all 4 if only one is causing trouble?

-gauss

If the skylight is leaking, I am hoping that they are taking the trim off on the roof, not the inside.

Also, that $790 is almost all labor, so if you do not mind a bit of roof work, it appears easy. $790 seems a lot for 2-3 hours of work.

I would not hire any roofing , window , or waterproofing contractor that will not back up workmanship for at least 10 years , on a new install.

I'm doing all four because there are two kinds of skylights. Those that are leaking, and those that will leak in the future. Another one leaked a few years ago, and I fixed that myself, but I'm getting too old and too rich to be messing around on the roof. I think they don't want to guarantee it because they aren't convinced that the leak comes from the edge of the window. I am. They are about 2' by 4'.

My Velux skylight started leaking and I was surprised to find that they have a lifetime warranty. Long story short, I got them to just send me a rebuild kit for free and I fixed it myself. Not a bad job.
Thanks for posting that! My Velux skylights are dual [-]pain[/-] pane, that have failed, so have fog between the glass. No leaking, but I'll see what they say.

I have one skylight that is leaking. I got an estimate to remove trim on all 4 skylights, recaulk and replace for $790. There are no warranties.

Other option (same company) is to replace all skylights with new skylights, incl flashing, etc. That is $3900 with 2 yr workmanship and 5 yr manufacturer warranty.

Thoughts?

$3900 seems way too much. I had 2 Velux skylights replaced for $950 total. I do realize they come in all shapes and sizes.

I'm doing all four because there are two kinds of skylights. Those that are leaking, and those that will leak in the future. Another one leaked a few years ago, and I fixed that myself, but I'm getting too old and too rich to be messing around on the roof. I think they don't want to guarantee it because they aren't convinced that the leak comes from the edge of the window. I am. They are about 2' by 4'.

I understand no guarantee on reworking the existing units, but don't buy that for new installs.

Update: I had it done for, IIRC, $600, with no guarantees. Two started leaking again.

I went up and redid them myself today. I had an advantage over a company, since it didn't matter to me if it looked neat.

So, score another point for doing yourself.

Those things seem designed to leak, with poorly placed seams, etc. Next time they leak, I'm going to get some nice, thick plastic and wrap them with it.

Back
Top Bottom