Small SUV recommendations

We have his and hers RAV4's, both white. The determining factor was cargo space-at the time, the RAV4 was reported to have the most. DW needs to haul his drum kit to gigs, and everything fit!. 4WD was needed as well, for driving to trailheads on sketchy roads. We went for the 4 cylinder, which has proven to give great gas mileage. We liked it so much we bought a second one. The ride is a little clunky, but both cars have been trouble free. Each cost approx 20K out the door -Toyota certified used vehicles each with about 37K miles at the time. We're happy, but may sell one to buy a camper van or truck now that we're both retired.

I've hauled pinball machines in my forester

Just from curiosity, have you pursued redress under your state's lemon law?
It certainly sounds as if you have one.

I have researched it but it does not apply . This car was a great car for the first few years and if it was only the air issue I probably would get it fixed but the peeling paint pushed me towards trading it in .

Several years ago in the Netherlands we were on a street that had all of the high end car dealerships . We went into a dealer selling Audi's . A salesman asked us what seemed to be the favorite car of Americans , We told him the Japanese cars because they can go 100,000 miles and the engine is error free. One thing he said all cars today will go 100,000 miles but it is the little things that cause the problems . Just like your AC unit. I think your car would go many more miles engine wise but could be a snake and you could have many little problems . I drive a 2006 Ridgeline and I believe Honda builds the best . You might have just got a snake.

For anecdotal evidence, I was a Honda/Acura fan, but 2 of the last 3 had A/C problems, and the other had some problem that clogged the radiator that baffled a couple repair places. Also brakes warped easily in my last one, a Pilot. I wouldn't necessarily avoid a Honda now, but it stopped being an automatic choice for me.

One Toyota long ago, transmission didn't feel right and I gladly parted with it in a divorce. Not specifically avoiding Toyota, but the only one I've seriously considered since then is the Lexus RX.

97 Mazda Miata, bought used in 99, zero problems other than a couple of false O2 sensor issues, and I think one battery. I was going to replace the sensors if it happened again and it hasn't in 4 years. EPA rating is 22 mpg combined, but I regularly get 28-32 even with a lot of mountain driving. Oh yeah, there is that lousy plastic window which yellowed and then tore, but it's a fair weather car anyway. Point for Mazda, but I haven't found one to met my needs best for my primary car.

14 Subaru Forester, still early, but zero problems. My personal favorite feature is X Drive. It lets the car takeover gas/braking at slow speed, which is really useful on snowy hilly roads in my neighborhood. I think it is better than the Pilot at off road too. My only complaint is that some of the controls aren't as intuitive as a Honda. My son's 13 Impreza is great too, though he did recently have the oil consumption problem.

If you wanted to go to something larger our 2012 Mercedes M Class we purchased used has been flawless. The steering is very light and the turning radius better than most sedans.

If you wanted to go to something larger our 2012 Mercedes M Class we purchased used has been flawless. The steering is very light and the turning radius better than most sedans.

Count your blessings if you've had such good luck. My family owns a luxury car dealership, and EVERY Merc. they trade for has problems needing repairs of some kind. And every one is expensive to fix. They wholesale out every Mercedes trade. They & BMW are just so doggone complicated in the electrics.

After 2 Camrys I bought a Rav4 in 2012. Better visibility, able to carry just about anything and easy to get in and out of it. After back surgery and continuing sciatic problems, I just have to slide in or out of the Rav4. In the Camry, I had to fall into and pull myself out of it.
The mileage is good and it's a good fit for me and 4 grand kids. I've had this 4 years and just turned 70K miles. I'll definitely be getting another Rav4.

I'm in the process of buying a Highlander. For 2017 it has the standard Toyota safety package that includes automatic braking for pre-collision or pedestrians, lane departure, laser cruise control and automatic headlight dimmer. Also has a ton of air bags and other safety features.

2015 highlander had uncomfortable seats. One poster said, LE, had 4 way
adjustable seat, More expensive versions had 8 way adjustable seat.
Problem may be limited to LE, version.

You should google this. Am also considering 2017 highlander. Seat problem
only occurs on long trips.

2017 Honda CRV, remodeled. Everything a bit larger. Has CVT tranny.
Toyota Rav4, still has regular tranny. Which I prefer.
Seating in the back seat, the CRV seems roomier.
Both, base versions, have manual adjustable driver seat. Seems the CRV
allows you to raise the seat a tad bit higher than the RAV4

2015 highlander had uncomfortable seats. One poster said, LE, had 4 way

adjustable seat, More expensive versions had 8 way adjustable seat.

Problem may be limited to LE, version.

You should google this. Am also considering 2017 highlander. Seat problem

only occurs on long ............

Thanks for the tip. I've not heard the seat complaint, but having worked in seating, I know that comfort is very subjective. I'm getting the LE Plus which has the more adjustable seat including lumbar and thigh support.

Thanks for the tip. I've not heard the seat complaint, but having worked in seating, I know that comfort is very subjective. I'm getting the LE Plus which has the more adjustable seat including lumbar and thigh support.

We have lumbar and thigh support in the XLE. It really made a difference for me on our long drive. And the back-up camera is also a wonderful feature.

Most cars have a backup camera, in fact I think they become mandatory next year.

My 04 Honda Pilot had the most comfortable seats I've ever had. I could drive for many hours without fatigue. Not sure if the newer Pilots retained those seats. Seat comfort is subjective, and hard to judge on a short test drive.

For visibility, which is a good safety factor, the Subaru Forester is like a greenhouse. Big windows with narrow pillars.

This is a timely thread for me as I am going to purchase a new car within a couple years in anticipation of retirement. I currently drive a VW 2007 golf. I'm single and drive very little--my choice as I walk to work and live in an area where I can walk to nearly everything. Maybe accumulate 3000 miles/year. But my real concern with the mean streets/aggressive drivers these days is safety and snow/ice driving (MN). I'm tired of being a little car in a sea of SUVs, mini vans, trucks! So I'm thinking of something like a Subaru Forester. Thoughts on this?

Marita, the Forester would be a good choice. Sitting high and having good visibility, along with AWD helps a lot. Of course the CRV and RAV 4 and many other small SUVs fit that pretty well too.

I only really know about the newest generation Forester, which is 2014 and newer. For 3000 miles a year, better gas mileage with the CVT isn't that important so maybe older is fine. My only experience with older Subarus is that people are loyal to them but riding around in them they do seem pretty rough. If you want to stay with a smaller car, the Subaru Crosstrek would be good as well. I think that was introduced in 2014. It's basically the Imprezza, but it sits up high like the Forester or Outback.

I think the Subaru people have drank the cool-aid....

According to CR, they are good on repairs at first, but seem to drop to avg or worse after 5 years.... except the Legacy...

The VW Tiguan is just horrible.... someone might like it and have a good one, but I would not go buy one on what I see....

I recently purchased a Tiguan, and would be interested in what information you seeing?

I will jump on the Highlander bandwagon. We have a '12 Limited and it currently has about 55K miles on it, and have had no issues. We also make an annual pilgrimage with it to see the DW's family out in "fly over country". That trip is two days each way (total of 15 hours) and I can say it's one of the most comfortable road trip vehicles I have ever had. Also, not sure if you would tow anything with it, but we made that trip once with a 5,000 trailer attached and it handled/performed as well as (and was more pleasant to drive) my '06 5.4L F-150 did.

I just read an article a couple of days ago about the cars that people keep for more than 10 years and the Highlander was #4 on the list (right behind the Rav 4).

Forbes Welcome

Last edited:
no cool aid here, I've had 6 subarus, five of which were foresters

not sure I'd trust any other vehicle to get me to/from w*rk in a foot of snow and ice

As far as reliability, I use True Delta. They get data from actual owners and compile that data over several years. If you register and tell them about your car, there is no cost. There are a LOT of data points to look at, especially for the more popular cars.

Car Reliability Comparisons

not sure I'd trust any other vehicle to get me to/from w*rk in a foot of snow and ice

Ah..one of the wonderful things about retirement. Snow? Ice? Yeah...not going outside and dealing with that. As long as my coffee maker works, I am a happy man. :D

OK..back to the original topic...

I am a dealer trade driver for a greater Houston Toyota dealership. I have driven quite a few RAV4s and Highlanders the last few years. These drives can be 300 miles or more one way.

My impressions of RAV4s is that they are great for city and short term driving but not so good on long drives due to their somewhat choppy ride. Gas mileage is good approaching 30 mpg on the highway. They are easy to park and maneuver.

The Highlander is a larger vehicle with a much more comfortable ride making it better for long drives. Being a larger vehicle the gas mileage is not as good and it is not as easy to maneuver. I recommend you get the V6.

I don't think you can go wrong with either vehicle.

JMHO

Ah..one of the wonderful things about retirement. Snow? Ice? Yeah...not going outside and dealing with that. As long as my coffee maker works, I am a happy man. :D

hey don't rub it in - I'll get there eventually

plus we're having a 30 year weather issue

:dance:

OK..back to the original topic...

I *need* :D to get out to the ski slopes in snow. Ice, not so much.

I will jump on the Highlander bandwagon.

No doubt in my mind that the Highlander is a great car. But it just doesn't fit my idea of "small" as requested here.

In my garage, the CR-V fits really well, and I could see another model that was maybe four inches or so longer. But the Highlander would be out of the question.

So garage space is an important factor IMHO.

I *need* :D to get out to the ski slopes in snow. Ice, not so much.

that's why i have the forester - getting up the ski hill and all 172 turns in 15 miles

plus it holds a crap ton of cargo and has basically no blind spots

No doubt in my mind that the Highlander is a great car. But it just doesn't fit my idea of "small" as requested here.

In my garage, the CR-V fits really well, and I could see another model that was maybe four inches or so longer. But the Highlander would be out of the question.

So garage space is an important factor IMHO.

I haven't measured our new Highlander, but it does seem smaller than the previous models. When I first saw it, I thought it was the Forerunner. It doesn't seem too different in size from the CR-V.

Now I'm curious and will have to get each of their measurements.

Edited to add:

2016 Honda CR-V 179.4"
2016 Toyota Highlander 191.1"

Last edited:
I haven't measured our new Highlander, but it does seem smaller than the previous models. When I first saw it, I thought it was the Forerunner. It doesn't seem too different in size from the CR-V.

Now I'm curious and will have to get each of their measurements.
One of the things that attracted me to the Highlander is that it doesn't seem so bloated as a lot of the newer models.

Back
Top Bottom