Small SUV recommendations

One of the things that attracted me to the Highlander is that it doesn't seem so bloated as a lot of the newer models.

It is much sleeker, less boxy. I was ready to look at just about any SUV/CUV in our search to downsize from the Sequoia. We had seen the Highlander on the freeway and were surprised at how much we liked the looks of the updated body style. Our former neighbors had had the earlier, boxier model, and that didn't grab us.

When we shopped and test drove, it just felt right to both of us and we're happy to have it. I love driving it. It's very smooth handling, too,
and has enough gumption for our freeways!

Our former neighbors, we noticed on our recent visit to our old 'hood, also updated to a new Highlander.

Most cars have a backup camera, in fact I think they become mandatory next year.

FWIW, if that is true it is a sad commentary on the skills and training of todays drivers (IMHO).

If the average driver needs a backup camera to get their Honda Civic into a parking spot, they should maybe go back (ha) to driver training.

---

In a related opinion, get them damn kids off my lawn....:D :LOL:

If the average driver needs a backup camera to get their Honda Civic into a parking spot, they should maybe go back (ha) to driver training.

I must respectfully disagree, at least in part.
I consider myself a very good driver (well, who doesn't?) and I have no difficulty whatever with parallel parking in a crowded downtown street.

BUT, there are times when the backup camera is truly a godsend.
I'm thinking of one particular street where I normally park to go to a certain restaurant. The posted requirement is back-in parking only, and it's at a 45 degree angle. The backup camera makes it a snap, whereas without the camera it can be a struggle.

Another good use is when I back out of my garage at home. The backup camera lets me see the street behind me so I can tell if there is any traffic.

Not essential by any means, but I'm very glad to have it!

I think car designers love the soon-to-be-mandatory backup cameras and the other assisted driving stuff--they don't have to worry about blind spots or incorporating sightlines through windows and mirrors. The new designs seem to help with the mileage, but the rear windows are so small in a lot of cars that no way you can back up just by turning around and trying to see what's directly behind you.

I have a backup camera and I always use it when backing up my car (if lighting permits). However, personally I think they are best used in addition to turning around and looking directly, rather than as a substitute for turning around and looking directly. I turn and look in both directions several times when backing up.

I think backup cameras can actually increase the dangers when backing up, if people don't look for themselves, too, because often these cameras have a more limited field of view and resolution. It's easy to get lazy, though.

My car is pretty good when it comes to blind spots so turning around and looking is practical. If it wasn't, I'd use the backup camera and I'd get F to go out there and steer me with hand signals as I back up. He's really good at that.

Last edited:
FWIW, if that is true it is a sad commentary on the skills and training of todays drivers (IMHO).

---

In a related opinion, get them damn kids off my lawn....:D :LOL:
I think the mandatory thing came from cases where people ran over children, even their own children, backing down their driveways. The kids are to short to see from the driver's seat.

That may be a comment on our risk-averse culture -- spending $___ billion to prevent a couple dozen tragic deaths. But, I don't think it says much about driving skills.

Ignoring that safety issue, a backup camera is just a convenience. Yes, I can parallel park in front of my daughter's older house when I need to. I'm looking forward to getting a camera, it will be quicker and easier.

Didn't we have a discussion about the back up cameras not too long ago? We get it, some folks don't like 'em. And they didn't like seatbelts. And they didn't like airbags. The fact of the matter is that they DO make cars safer.

I personally love the one on my car. Often, I will have two large SUVs or pickup trucks parked on either side of me and guess what? You CANNOT see if vehicles are coming or not...so without the camera, you take a risk in backing and HOPE no one hits you. With the camera, the field of view is such that (fish-eye, if you will) I can see approaching cars that otherwise are impossible to see.

Now..back to the original subject. I didn't think about the size of the Highlander too much. Our house was built in the 70s, so we can actually park BOTH cars AND open all the doors FULLY. It's hard to do that nowadays with the smaller garages.

No CX-5 experience personally, but DW did a ton of research last year and was on the verge of buying one until she fell in love with the HR-V.

Does anybody have an opinion on the MazdaCX5?

Why I hate my CX-5:

1) Key fob remote weighs about 6lbs and there are no other options
2) It takes 20 min to warm up the cabin, even after the engine is warm
3) The transmission programming is TERRIBLE. I run around lugging the engine constantly unless I go to manual override
4) Gas mileage stinks (for its class)
5) The stupid A/C comes on automatically when you turn the temperature knob all the way to cool.
6) The auto lock proximity detection doesn't......always (long story here). It's a stupid system.

Don't ask me why I bought it (it was a cheap off-lease deal). I'm stuck with it now, because I'm too cheap to switch it out. These things may not matter to others and they may love the car. Some may be things wrong with my 2015, but I doubt it.

Sorry for the rant - finally found a reason to unload :angel:

I will jump on the Highlander bandwagon. We have a '12 Limited and it currently has about 55K miles on it, and have had no issues. We also make an annual pilgrimage with it to see the DW's family out in "fly over country". That trip is two days each way (total of 15 hours) and I can say it's one of the most comfortable road trip vehicles I have ever had. Also, not sure if you would tow anything with it, but we made that trip once with a 5,000 trailer attached and it handled/performed as well as (and was more pleasant to drive) my '06 5.4L F-150 did.

I just read an article a couple of days ago about the cars that people keep for more than 10 years and the Highlander was #4 on the list (right behind the Rav 4).

Forbes Welcome

Interesting.... but #1 is the Honda CRV... which OP wants to get rid of....

Because I've always been a VW fan I'm also going to test drive the VW Sportwagon. It is a larger Golf with AWD and excellent reviews. Yes, VW has had company troubles but I've driven Golfs/Rabbits for years with no problems at all except routine care. But I do need AWD now. . .and something bigger.
Actually, if we didn't have such lousy ice/snow issues much of the year, I'd get a Cabrio and have more fun.

The funny thing I found out doing my car research is a lot of the dealerships will give you a $25 American express card for test driving the car . I am retired so this could be fun. I am sure they will put the pressure on but I am a former Jersey girl so that does not work .

My 2010 Highlander was a POS from the Indiana truck factory. Mileage for the 4 cylinder was WORSE than the six. Always thought the computer was programmed incorrectly but the dealer did not agree. Started having electrical problems at about 4 years and 40k miles. Started with the radio and eventually spread to the power windows and door locks. Last straw was not being able to lock it parked on a busy commercial street late one morning. Had to go to my medical appointment with an unlocked car. Went home, ate lunch, and it was gone by 3 PM. The Lexus gets better mileage and it's a six cylinder. Not much more money than an equivalent Highlander would have been, and it was made in Japan.

Back
Top Bottom