Solar system tax deductions?

wanaberetiree

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hello

I installed a solar system in 2022.

Paid ~30% of the total cost and will pay in full this year.

Question - can I deduct the full cost in the 2022 tax filing?

Thx

Depends. Which galaxy is it in?

Sorry, just couldn't resist. :D

I think it is tied to the year you actually spend the $$. I know that you can carry the deduction forward as a credit, but not sure for how long.
Why can't you file for the credit next year too?

I think it is tied to the year you actually spend the $$. I know that you can carry the deduction forward as a credit, but not sure for how long.

I’m not saying I can’t just trying to understand this better

Thx!

A solar system deduction?!?!?

That makes Mr. Musk a two time winner. Once for selling you a photovoltaic system for your house. And the second time for selling you a ticket to Mars.

I am in the process of possibly adding a more efficient heat-pump mini unit to my home. So I am interested in the answer.

Last edited:

The tax credit can be carried forward for up to 5 years. So, if you have a $5000 credit, you can use $2000 of it this year, and $3000 next year.

In my case, I plan on carrying the tax credit forward for 2 or 3 years before I use it.

The tax credit can be carried forward for up to 5 years. So, if you have a $5000 credit, you can use $2000 of it this year, and $3000 next year.

In my case, I plan on carrying the tax credit forward for 2 or 3 years before I use it.

Ok sounds good 👌
But can I claim full credit instead of carrying forward if I paid it in two years.

Back
Top Bottom