Solutions for easily locating light pull chain in dark room

jollystomper

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Since there are a lot of veteran tinkerers on this forum, I am looking for some ideas...

I have installed a LED shop light with a pull chain to provide more light in a section of our basement. Because of where I have to place it, it is some distance away from the entrance to that part of the basement, and when it is dark you sometimes have to flail your arms around a bit to locate the pull chain and turn on the light.

My idea is to attach something to the pull chain chord to make it easy to see in the dark. Some initial ideas:

1. Attach some type of "glow-in-the-dark" string/chord. The question is how long with the glow function last until requiring replacement.
  2. Attach a small LED light with a long lasting battery to the chord. Only concern would be remembering to turn it off when the light was turned on, and vice versa, to preserve its light.
  3. Attach a solar powered light, similar to those lights one would install outside, that only power off when there is no light, and recharge when the light is on. I am not sure how well that will work in a area where the only light will be from the LED shop light.
  4. The shop light has an outlet for stringing several of them together. Perhaps plug in an AC-to-USB adapter and then use a small USB light aimed towards the chain. I will need to test this -e.g. will the outlet still be live if the light is turned off.
These are my current ideas, but not thought out completely, and I am sure there are others. So suggestions are welcome.

Add a small "cat" bell, lengthen the chain, and keep flailing away.

If the light is plugged into an outlet, you could use a device like "The Clapper" to make it sound activated. There are also IFTTT devices to work with something like Alexa/Echo.

Mechanically, you could extend the chain and drape it through a few eye loops to move the pull down area.

Perhaps use those little screw-in eyelets to put a long string into, tie one end to the chain and lead the other end to near the door entrance where it is easy to see.

Or put in a light switch, not that hard.

#1 - For the pull chains in my basement, I added a heavy string, and attached the other end 5 feet or more away, so it hangs down and goes horizontally for that distance. I also put some red tape on it. That way, I can grab it anywhere along that length, really don't even need to look for it, just wave your hand across that area and you'll hit it.

#2 - Plug in an LED night light nearby. They use almost no power (mili-watts?) so just leave it on 24/7/365, and that will help you find the cord.

If you have an outlet near the door, a motion sensor nightlight might work.

tritium fob to attach to the end of the chain? (ie glow in the dark that last for years at a time)

Carry along a pocket flashlight :D.

I installed a motion sensor LED in the garage. Whenever the power flickers enough to affect most of the household devices, the LED turns on and gets struck. The only way to reset it is to turn off the power at the breaker for a couple of seconds. Some searching online brings up a fair number of hits that this is not uncommon.

How about wiring in something like this to your light

th

I installed a motion sensor LED in the garage. Whenever the power flickers enough to affect most of the household devices, the LED turns on and gets struck. The only way to reset it is to turn off the power at the breaker for a couple of seconds. Some searching online brings up a fair number of hits that this is not uncommon.

This is a feature!

And I'm not kidding. The motion sensor lights (at least the ones I have, with this 'feature') are meant to be controlled by another switch. The motion sensor light comes on for X minutes, then turns off. But the 'feature' is, if you want it on longer - if you turn it OFF then back ON quickly, it will stay on until you turn it OFF. You then wait a few seconds, turn it ON, and it will be back in 'motion sensing mode'.

But of curse, a power glitch can simulate this OFF/ON/OFF switch sequence and leave the light ON. If you don't have a separate switch, you need to go to the breaker. I have this problem a few times a year, I think about adding a switch, but then I take a nap instead.

- ERD50

People have suggested all the one's I thought of. I would go with putting in a switch if it were in an unfinished area, remote switch or motion detecting fixture otherwise.

Plug a low watt LED (say 5 watts) in an outlet that's always on and just leave it on forever.

Is the shop light hard wired or plugged into an outlet? If plugged into an outlet they sell an outlet that plugs into the outlet and has a hand held remote. I got it for my husband when he was sick so he could turn lights on across the room without getting up. Think I got it from Costco and it was a 3 outlet pack.

Is the shop light hard wired or plugged into an outlet? If plugged into an outlet they sell an outlet that plugs into the outlet and has a hand held remote. I got it for my husband when he was sick so he could turn lights on across the room without getting up. Think I got it from Costco and it was a 3 outlet pack.
Right - same basic concept as I mentioned in post #13. The one I posted sticks to the wall and looks like a switch.

Back
Top Bottom