Solutions for easily locating light pull chain in dark room

You must be a SW engineer. Take a bug and call it a feature. :)

Have done some SW, but not really a SW engineer.

But in this case, it really is the truth. That was an intentional design feature, not a bug at all. It provides a way to over-ride the motion sensor time-out. Some people mount these lights in places that can only be reached by a ladder. So if you want it to just stay ON for, say an hour or two while you are doing something where you need that light ON, instead of the several minute time-out, you just flip the switch from ON to OFF to ON in about 1 second, and it latches ON until you turn it OFF.

No extra switches required. Pretty clever.

But, if you have it on a hard-wired line, you (and I, that's how mine is set up) have the problem that a glitch can latch it to ON. The only solution I know (other than going to the breaker), is to put a switch in somewhere. But they were designed to be put on a switched circuit.

-ERD50

Thank you for all of the suggestions!

In this part of the basement, there is only one power outlet available in a 15 foot range (old construction when the codes did not require outlets every few feet), and is behind some cabinet storage. The shop light is plugged into it (its main purpose is to illuminate the cabinet storage area so it has to be close to it). At the moment I am not interested in rewiring that part of the basement (that is task for when the entire area is redone).

The sound, motion sensor, and remote to put in the outlet, and tritium to hang from the pull cord, are ideas I had not thought of, and will add them to the list to investigate.

It is about 8 feet from the entrance to that part of the basement to the shop light... I am mainly thinking of DW, who hates entering dark or semi-dark areas before a light can be turned on, and the thought of waving her hands around in the dark to locate something is creepy ("what if I touch something and it isn't really the cord??"). I blame myself, too many practical jokes I have played on her. :)

Right - same basic concept as I mentioned in post #13. The one I posted sticks to the wall and looks like a switch.

+1. This will solve your problem. Forgot, my elder mom has one in the kitchen.

1. Plug your shop light into, this " box" which plugs into your wall outlet

2. Comes with a "light switch", LOOKS like a wall light switch with panel.

3. You can attach the "wall switch" remote to the wall.

4. Only maintenance, is to change the battery in the "remote wall switch".

Very neat. No wiring additional wiring required. :greetings10:

I guess same principle as our TVs. TV is plugged in. (ie your shop light),

TV remote turns on the TV. (ie. remote light switch turns on you shop light).

Right - same basic concept as I mentioned in post #13. The one I posted sticks to the wall and looks like a switch.

Didn't know if the OP had the ability to wire the receiver to the light. The one I recommended, you only have to make sure that there's room to plug in the outlet and remember not to wander off with the remote. Though you could Velcro the remote to the wall. Battery for ours lasted about a year with daily use.

Plug a low watt LED (say 5 watts) in an outlet that's always on and just leave it on forever.

Home Dept sells lights like this in a two pack. We have them all over the house lighting stairs, hallways, in the garage. Off in the light, on in the dark. Never get hot.

An older relative just used the "install a longer pull cord" that runs through an eyelet screw so the end of the cord hangs down vertically.

All he has to do is open the door and reach to his right for the pull cord connected to the fixture 8 feet away.

Perhaps use those little screw-in eyelets to put a long string into, tie one end to the chain and lead the other end to near the door entrance where it is easy to see.

Or put in a light switch, not that hard.

Hah! I did that as a kid in my bedroom. I think I used high test fishing line if I remember correctly. I was able to turn the overhead light on and off from my bed...

Was at Home Depot and they have screw in light bulbs at work with WIFI. Can turn it on even before you go down into the basement to scare all the mice into their hiding places first so you don't have to see them.

:LOL: Actually been there. Done that (not on a pull cord, but dropping onto her head as she walked into a room). Great joke. And I am fully healed now. :LOL:

If I did that she'd have a heart attack and probably die on the spot. Then her brother would kill me. There's just no future in it.:LOL:

I bought one of these, and I have to tell you I think the light switch light is a stupid idea for a light.

The problem with it, is you are looking at the switch and turn it on. BLINDING LIGHT is what you get since it's so natural to look towards the switch as you turn it on.

It's such a bad idea, that when I was next in Harbor freight and had a coupon for a FREE one, I didn't get it.

I bought one of these, and I have to tell you I think the light switch light is a stupid idea for a light.

The problem with it, is you are looking at the switch and turn it on. BLINDING LIGHT is what you get since it's so natural to look towards the switch as you turn it on.

It's such a bad idea, that when I was next in Harbor freight and had a coupon for a FREE one, I didn't get it.
I have a different take on these and I have a number (free with coupon). It is true that it is blindingly bright, but the key is to quit looking at the light. ;)

You don't need to be able to turn that light on in the dark. You need to be able to turn on a light in the dark. Mount one of those stick on battery lights by the entrance where you'd normally find a light switch, and turn that on as you enter so you can find the cord. If you don't trust the battery lights, run an extension cord around from behind the cabinets and plug in a similar light, or a night light.

I've read some overly complicated solutions. If the room is rarely used, simply screw a motion sensor light into the socket. It takes 20 seconds, no wiring has to be done, and the light will turn on when you enter and turn off when you leave the room.

It amazes me the breadth of solutions suggested. At some time in my life, I have used all of them. I have had limited success with motion sensors. In my workshop, I was often still enough to have it turn off. I like the always on LED night light that turns off when the light is on. I switched all our night lights to that type.

When my youngest son was a teenager, he would turn on every light and TV and then leave. So I had to revert to motion sensors. "All the lights on but nobody home!"

From amazon... key chain flashlights...pack of 10 led for about $6. including shipping.
I've been using similar lights on my keys, for years. At the price, one for the glove compartment, dark closets, the kitchen utensil drawer, reading instructions in a dim light, etc..
All kinds, all prices. Worth a look and maybe an add-on to your next order.

Last edited:
Funny how often we look for some new technology to fix a problem that was solved many decades ago. This was already mentioned earlier. Simply extend the pull string to the entrance door. I have one tied to the studs just inside the entrance to our crawl space. I reach up and tug at the line. No fumbling to find the end of a string. No ensuring that I have a key light with me. No motion sensors to try and trigger or to time out. No facy radiation glow-in-the dark string fobs to deal with. It works every time and has been fault-free for over 13 years now. Who knows how many years it was in service before we bought the house. It probably will still be working when I am long gone.

Sometimes simplicity IS the answer. It is for us. YMMV.

Solution installed with DW's testing approval. Remote control outlet sensor that the shop light is now plugged into, with remote mounted on wall at the entrance to that section of the basement. Easy push button on/off to control the light in the area.

Thanks again for all of the ideas - this one works best for us!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom