Something for thought

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We all have fond memories of the past. We had goals that we met or tasks that we accomplished and are proud of.

In 20 years from now, 2017 will be the past. The goals or accomplishments you are working on right now, will become memories of the past in just a few short years.

If you are resting on past achievements and not pressing forward with new goals, you aren't adding anything to those memories for 20 years from now.

This is just for thought and kind of interesting as life changes for us all.

...............If you are resting on past achievements and not pressing forward with new goals, you aren't adding anything to those memories for 20 years from now...............
Thanks, I feel better now. :blush:

I'll be glad to have memories of my past achievements. I better write down before forget.

Last edited:
If you are resting on past achievements and not pressing forward with new goals, you aren't adding anything to those memories for 20 years from now.

I have a 20 page CV to look at if I want to reminisce over my past career achievements. I have no intention of updating it. My goals these days involve enjoying myself. No achievements necessary.

I think the validity of this depends on your definition of "goals"...

For me goals are like new years resolutions.

I don't need no stinkin' goals - :)

I have plenty of goals now.. and had plenty in the past. I've spent the last 9 months getting my DMIL into an aging facility and moving her stuff on. It really should not take that long. But leaving here in the middle and felling part of it did. Hopefully DW and DMIL will appreciate it. I'm not designing major product lines anymore. But to people involved.. maybe it counts. Maybe when I'm older I might be helping a grandchild afford a college dream... or starting a business... who knows. No grand kids yet. I expect to have some kind of goals... even if it ends up being to remember my name.

Goals?

You mean like have more nice vacations, grow more nice stuff in my garden?

Ok then.

Goals?

Ok then.
yep.... white mountains, NZ mountain hikes... and we will be adding to the garden. Plus I need to learn to make more cakes and pies... and pressure cooker pulled meat!... proper goals

I got one!

Imma gonna ride Rita (R1200RT) thru Yosemite before the end of May.

Yosemite is a nice day ride for me - :)

sounds like a nice ride. All I have is a V-Strom 650. Would be a long ride from here. But there are nice rides out here... good goals. Enjoy

I'll be glad to have memories of my past achievements. I better write down before forget.
I am with you. I wrote a blurb called "My 50 years in Electronics" for a journal.
But I will tell you, the last 10 years have it beat!

Attachments

• My recollection of 50 years in Electronics.doc
    27.5 KB · Views: 10
Goals might not have been the best word to use. In life and in my life I like to achieve and work towards something that has meaning and value. It may be a foundation you help support or volunteer work etc. It can be anything you want it to be and work to get there. For me I don't want to look back in 20 years and said I didn't do anything in the last 20 years and I had all the time in the world to do it. I truly want to make the most of my life from now till death.

I read something along this line a while back and it kind of stuck in my mind and reminded me of retirement.

I have a 20 page CV to look at if I want to reminisce over my past career achievements. I have no intention of updating it. My goals these days involve enjoying myself. No achievements necessary.

+1! DH & I just retired in November. In January I sat down to develop my 2017 goals and realized I only have one for this year - explore a new way of life!! Don't want to pressure myself to have specific achievements. Maybe I'll feel differently after being retired for a while, but maybe not. Doesn't mean I'm not making new memories that will be fun to look back on in 20 years.

Doesn't mean I'm not making new memories that will be fun to look back on in 20 years.

Exactly! Some achievements make nice memories but not all great memories are based on achievements.
We retired 3.5 years ago. These years produced wonderful memories but only very few that could be counted as achievements.

Goals?

Ok then.

+1

Last year, I was able to grow some tomatoes for the first time. Never had luck with that before.

I have been learning to make more new dishes by watching youtube videos. My wife too. Later this year, my goal is to survive the 6-week road trip through Europe.

Goals might not have been the best word to use. In life and in my life I like to achieve and work towards something that has meaning and value. It may be a foundation you help support or volunteer work etc. It can be anything you want it to be and work to get there...
The last few years, I have been donating a lot to charities that feed poor orphans and elderlies in 3rd world countries. I hope that counts.

Last edited:
My goals in retirement are mostly health focused, eat better, exercise more, and have fun, with the later being more mental health related.

Nice! The things talked about keep us going and learning and does create memories.

I plan to stay in touch with interesting friends.
I plan to keep myself as healthy as possible.
I plan to continue to make new interesting friends.
I want to travel to places I love and places I think I might love every year.
I plan to give to people that it will make a difference to.
I promise not to waste any time talking about things I cannot influence.

20 years from now.... I'll be happy to be able to look back "and recall" the last 20 years.

Back
Top Bottom