Space - The Final Frontier

I think Musk had a bit of a jealousy reaction there on all the press attention :)

A great day for humanity, and happy that a few billionaires are doing this type of stuff.

Denies the laws of physics, as we understand the laws of physics today. So much we don't understand yet. So much more to learn and unlock the secrets of.

It is amazing what some rich people are able to do with a small budget that NASA has not been able to do with many billions of dollars...

And most countries can not even think about doing what these private companies are doing....

I think Musk is a bit wrong in what he said... I read an article and it pointed out that his rocket that they are trying to land does not achieve orbit... now, it is trying to land a long distance from where it started, but it is not an orbital part of the rocket....

With all respect, NASA has done and will continue to do many amazing things. Landing rovers on Mars, flying by Pluto, orbiging Mercury, etc. Blue Origins accomplishment while very interesting is not nearly the same as actually putting a crew into orbit and getting them back again.

NASA's big problem is that the politicians have meddled with it to the point that they spend far to much of their budget on supporting the re-election campaigns of certain politicians. (ie. rocketry jobs in certain districts and states.)

SpaceX has, I think, bigger issues of energy and trajectory to solve, than Blue Origin has. The Blue Origin rocket is essentially a 'pop-gun' compared to a vehicle that puts satellites into low earth orbit.

Still, it is a noteworthy accomplishment and we are better off because of their work.

And most countries can not even think about doing what these private companies are doing....

+1

A good point. And I can't help but notice that Musk came the the USA to build his business, and, amazingly enough, to California. (Isn't that state doomed by drought, earthquakes, traffic jams, illegal immigrants, taxes and environmental zealots? :D)

That was incredible! Wish I was back in Florida for the live launch and landing, but got stuck up north for some holiday stuff.

It was amazing. Should dramatically change the economics of launch vehicles. DIL is Space X employee and she is stoked.

Sent from my XT1575 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

It was amazing. Should dramatically change the economics of launch vehicles. DIL is Space X employee and she is stoked.

That's great! I watched the live feed, and the Space X employees were REALLY happy. It's not easy to get that many engineers jumping, dancing around, and hugging.

Score another few points for the disrupters.

I wonder how much a 'refurbished' first stage costs?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I clapped along with the SpaceX employees. What a remarkable achievement, especially for young private company, started by an immigrant.

A perfect time for launch, too. Prime time, night launch. And the employees could work until 7:00 or so, then hit the launch party. Wonder if they served beer :)

I really enjoyed watching the reaction of the SpaceX employees. Seeing these modern young energetic people who have accomplished so much in their young lives fills me with hope and anticipation for the future.

They may not all be males dressed in white shirts and ties, but they share the brains, creativity and enthusiasm that put humans into space and our robots onto other planets. It's inspiring.

Last edited:
Score another few points for the disrupters.

I wonder how much a 'refurbished' first stage costs?

That's the big question. $60 million investment in current Falcon 9. $200,000 for new fuel. The rest of costs are estimates.

Sent from my XT1254 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Phenomenal accomplishment ...not as grand a goal as NASA set for itself with its many variations of returnable components, but this will form basis for being able to do it in a repeatable fashion with larger boosters and payloads.

We are kinda stuck at LEO until some black swan event occurs wrt propulsive technologies.

BTW - while NASA gets the glory, just like the AF does when "they" launch something, most of the work, including development, engineering, production, etc, is done by American industry - under contract. Kinda like the Navy building ships - they don't, but they do hire American industry to do it for them.

Phenomenal accomplishment ...not as grand a goal as NASA set for itself with its many variations of returnable components, but this will form basis for being able to do it in a repeatable fashion with larger boosters and payloads.

We are kinda stuck at LEO until some black swan event occurs wrt propulsive technologies.

BTW - while NASA gets the glory, just like the AF does when "they" launch something, most of the work, including development, engineering, production, etc, is done by American industry - under contract. Kinda like the Navy building ships - they don't, but they do hire American industry to do it for them.

True, but LEO is where we need tot be in order to perfect various technologies. We will go back to the moon and Mars soon enough.

Sorry...would have responded earlier, but been out of town.

I'm not sure what propulsive tech can be developed at LEO that can't be developed on Earth.

And, sadly, I believe the Chinese will be next back to the moon ...the US goal of going to Mars is admirable, but not likely to happen if we continue to insist on bringing the folks we send there, back.

NASA also does not have and is not likely to ever get enough budget to address Mars for real ...it would need to at least double for 10 years.

SpaceX has created an edited video of the landing.

It never gets old watching this. I also think this has to be the ultimate recruiting video. Hell I'd come out of retirement if I could work there.

The next launch will attempt to land the Falcon 9 first stage on the barge again. Apparently, some launches either require so much fuel they can't get back to land, or the direction they take precludes getting back to land. Thus the need to be able to land the rocket on a barge. Given the accuracy they have shown, the biggest problem will probably be keeping the barge steady.

http://www.gizmag.com/spacex-falcon-9-sea-barge-landing/41255/

Hell I'd come out of retirement if I could work there.

Maybe. But do remember they are well known for long working hours. Typically 16 hour days 7 days a week when trying to hit deadlines, which is pretty often.

Maybe. But do remember they are well known for long working hours. Typically 16 hour days 7 days a week when trying to hit deadlines, which is pretty often.

You are right, and it would be a lot easier at 26 than 56, but maybe for a year or so. Realistically, I have a better shot of winning the Powerball lottery than getting hired.

Still, it would be cool to be part of such an amazing company.

Update. A teacher friend of mine said she was going to show this to her 6th graders.

DIL works there. Work life balance - not so much.

Yep. Also you can hit a glitch and do the hurry up and wait. Two years working on other stuff, Skylab, etc while Mars got back to the right spot.

We weren't ready the first time.

heh heh heh - :cool: Wish I was young again to do another 30 years. :LOL: :facepalm:

The next launch will attempt to land the Falcon 9 first stage on the barge again. Apparently, some launches either require so much fuel they can't get back to land, or the direction they take precludes getting back to land. Thus the need to be able to land the rocket on a barge. Given the accuracy they have shown, the biggest problem will probably be keeping the barge steady.

SpaceX to try another Falcon 9 sea-barge landing

It takes less fuel to launch at the equator because the earth is moving faster there. That is the ideal launch site.

Back
Top Bottom