Space - The Final Frontier

More or less what I am getting at. If the past 40 years had proceeded at the same pace as the first 15, we would have lunar bases, Mars bases and probably have landed rovers on all the interesting outer moons and planets.

My brother was an Apollo era scientist who retired from NASA after 42 years at the Houston Spacecraft Center.

Many years ago I asked him why we never went back to the moon and he said it was "political" and the main interest at the time was "lower space" [space shuttle and space station.]

Sad to think about how comparatively little has been accomplished in those 37 years. With the exception of the lunar and Mars rovers, "we" haven't really left low earth orbit.

Dovetails with my post above.

My DS and I have decided to dash down to Cape Canaveral to see the Falcon launch next Thursday (he's on break from grad school at the moment and I've certainly got the time!)

The launch is scheduled for Thursday at 8PM. Our plan is to view it from Port Canaveral. That should allow for decent viewing of the launch and an even better viewing of the 1st stage return landing. We're planning on getting setup a few hours before launch.

My question is: has anyone seen one of these launches and if so, do you have any advice for where to view it.

My DS and I have decided to dash down to Cape Canaveral to see the Falcon launch next Thursday (he's on break from grad school at the moment and I've certainly got the time!)

The launch is scheduled for Thursday at 8PM. Our plan is to view it from Port Canaveral. That should allow for decent viewing of the launch and an even better viewing of the 1st stage return landing. We're planning on getting setup a few hours before launch.

My question is: has anyone seen one of these launches and if so, do you have any advice for where to view it.

Former Elon minion here.... Try to watch from Fish Lips or one of the other restaurants next to it. Get there early to get a good spot. IF you would rather watch from the hood of your car lots of people start lining up on the Causeway just before Cape Canaveral.

There it is, or was. Apparently, they have lowered Falcon Heavyt down. Engine static testing is Jan 6 and launch is tentatively scheduled for Jan 15. All of this can, and probably will, change.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2017/12/28/falcon-heavy-raised-on-pad-39a-for-first-time/

Assuming it flies, it will be the most powerful rocket in the world. Of course, Mr. Musk has stated that just getting it to clear the pad would be considered a success. If there is a RUD (rapid unplanned deconstruction) and the launch pad is not damaged, it's a win. :eek:

Last edited:
Anywhere somewhat close is awe inspiring on a night launch.

Kind of a long story, but I found myself one year in Christmas, FL (about 1/2 way between the cape and Orlando) during a shuttle launch. We knew it was coming, but I swear to you, I thought it was the end of the world as the sun was suddenly rising at 11PM. I could not wrap my brain around the amount of energy being expended, and the incredible site rising in the east. I wish we had made it to the causeway where everyone parks instead.

Thanks!

We'll probably get dinner at Fishlips and see what the situation there is like. Alternately, we'll walk down to the Jetty park or somewhere around that area.

Some sad news. John Young who flew three different spacecraft in his career has died. He was 87. He flew the first manned Gemini spacecraft, two Apollo missions and two missions on the Space Shuttle.

With his passing, just five living human beings have walked on the Moon: Buzz Aldrin, 87; Alan Bean, 85; Dave Scott, 85; Charlie Duke, 82; and Harrison Schmitt, 82.

He is the only person who made the first flight of two different manned spacecraft - Gemini and the Space Shuttle.

Thanks for the helpful input.

DS and I did get to see the latest Falcon launch (Zuma) and landing(so cool!). It was delayed a few days, but we stayed and found some things to do - visiting KSC, some nature (manatees!) and visiting family a few hours away.

We saw the launch from Jetty Park in Port Canaveral (near the mentioned Fish Lips restaurant) and it was a great location.

Took this photo of the launch. Nothing special, but proves we were there ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_4167.jpg
    IMG_4167.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 9
An interesting week or so in space flight:

The Electron rocket put a few satellite in orbit. Another way to get small cheap satelites into LEO.

We lost David Scott, one of the few humans who has walked on another celestial body. At this rate in a decade or so, no human who has left Earth's gravity will be alive.

SpaceX static fired the Falcon Heavy. So far it is looking good.

At this rate in a decade or so, no human who has left Earth's gravity will be alive.

Except, hopefully, SpaceX or Virgin or someone will be selling tourist passes to orbital flights. And soon after that, the Hilton Space Station or something like that.

The Electron rocket put a few satellite in orbit. Another way to get small cheap satelites into LEO.

We lost David Scott, one of the few humans who has walked on another celestial body. At this rate in a decade or so, no human who has left Earth's gravity will be alive.

SpaceX static fired the Falcon Heavy. So far it is looking good.

Except, hopefully, SpaceX or Virgin or someone will be selling tourist passes to orbital flights. And soon after that, the Hilton Space Station or something like that.

But he said 'left Earth's gravity'.... being in orbit by definition is still in
Earth's gravity....

Last night, our local Weatherman Bill Walsh said on his 6pm weather report -- The ISS would be visible overhead at 7:11pm traveling west to east.

I had not seen the ISS before, so I went outside......and there she was right on time !! That thing is pretty big !! It was haulin' too. At 7pm it must be high enough to reflect the sunlight below our horizon.

Very Cool, Bill....thanks for the head's up.

Last night, our local Weatherman Bill Walsh said on his 6pm weather report -- The ISS would be visible overhead at 7:11pm traveling west to east.

I had not seen the ISS before, so I went outside......and there she was right on time !! That thing is pretty big !! It was haulin' too. At 7pm it must be high enough to reflect the sunlight below our horizon.

Very Cool, Bill....thanks for the head's up.

Go to this site:

Heavens-Above

enter your location, and you'll get ISS sightings and much more. I like to try to catch an Iridium flare, they last ~ 10 seconds, and are very localized - it's the effect of the sun reflecting off the rotating, shiny antenna plates of these satellites.

My first ISS sighting was just after they separated from the module that delivered supplies. You could see the reflection of the two units, and the separation increased as they crossed the sky. That was pretty cool.

-ERD50

Don't discount the Chinese either. They say they want to put a taikonaut on the moon in the early 30s. They are aggressive enough to stick to the time frame as well.

Speaking of Rocket Lab, their little stunt of putting that "Humanity Star" into temporary orbit is also dividing people.

I find it a little arrogant but harmless but hope it just doesn't set a precedent where any yahoo can put whatever they want into LEO.

Rocket Lab secretly launched a disco ball satellite on its latest test flight
The "Humanity Star" can be seen with the naked eye

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/24/...ty-star-secret-satellite-electron-test-launch

Thanks for the link. Even Musk (normally known for hyperbole) is only saying 50/50 to 2/3 chance of success. No paid for cargo on board, too risky to put an $$$$$$ satellite in there.

<snip>

This will be awesome if they can pull it off. Hope they do.

-ERD50

IIRC, the first Dragon spacecraft that orbited the earth and returned carried a big wheel of cheese. At least Mr. Musk and team could pass that around and enjoy it!

Yea, I hope so also, but realistically, they might be wiser launching after sunset on July 4. :D

Looks like it has been delayed:

Live in 110 minutes
February 6, 2:10 PM (adjusted to my Central Time) - ERD50

Back
Top Bottom