Space - The Final Frontier

Wow, pretty amazing video with the Starlink connection to the Starship. It was really wild watching the atmospheric reentry live from onboard cameras and seeing that red heat build up, watch fins moving etc. Great views from the Starship overall.

I don't think there has ever been a camera view of re-entry heating like that before? It has always been artist conception.

It was a fantastic and spectacular launch of Starship 3!

Hoping the next one will fly sooner.

Last edited:
The camera is located in the trailing edge of the front control surface, which explains the changing point of view as that surface articulates in flight. It is quite remarkable. I'd like to see that temperature telemetry.

There was a lot of talk on the live stream about the "wake" of plasma possibly affecting the signal. They seemed genuinely shocked it worked as well as it did. There were four StarLink arrays up near the nose of the ship, opposite the heat shield. Apparently they worked great... until whatever happened.

The feed showed it struggling to maintain attitude, then cut out. I think some engines either didn't light, or otherwise failed. I'll be watching for more insight on what went wrong in those final moments, but kudos to the team for getting as far as they did!

Oh, and those videos showing the plasma were fantastic. I'd like to grab a few frames of that to use for a Zoom virtual background!

Last edited:
I saw an article that said the Starship stack was the height of 39 African elephants.

I couldn't really grasp that, so I asked ChatGPT how many golf balls glued into a 2 dimensional pyramid would equal the height of the Starship stack.

"3,966,855 golf balls in a two-dimensional pyramid"

edit: On further reflection, I don't think the golf ball thing is any clearer than the African elephants, so I asked ChatGPT how many toenail clippings there would be if they were arranged in a cylinder the diameter and height of the Starship stack:

"Therefore, approximately 4.886×10^13 toenail clippings would be required to fill a cylinder with the diameter and height of the SpaceX Starship launch stack."

I am starting to think articles should just not do oddball height comparisons...

Last edited:
Last edited:
I saw an article that said the Starship stack was the height of 39 African elephants.

I couldn't really grasp that, so I asked ChatGPT how many golf balls glued into a 2 dimensional pyramid would equal the height of the Starship stack.

"3,966,855 golf balls in a two-dimensional pyramid"

I’ve seen one in person, and yes it’s really big, and stacked on the booster itself on the launch ring the whole thing is just enormous! Of course the launch tower is even taller!

Every once in a while some video or news story will show a photo of the launch pad or some other component of the Starship facility, and I suddenly notice a tiny little pickup truck or something. It throws my whole sense of scale out of balance. Kind of jaw-dropping.

Voyager 1, which had recently been unable to communicate with NASA, has apparently phoned home in a manner that could allow a fix to be made. Absolutely amazing for a spacecraft that has been operating for 47 years and is more than 15 billion miles away.

https://blogs.nasa.gov/sunspot/2024...rogress-toward-understanding-voyager-1-issue/

https://www.yahoo.com/news/voyager-1-sputters-back-life-172910976.html

Here's some information I copied from Steve Gibson's latest Security Now podcast. I only post a partial quote. It's rather long. And perhaps not yet correct. :)

https://crookedtimber.org/2024/02/19/death-lonely-death/

Billions of miles away at the edge of the Solar System, Voyager 1 has gone mad and has begun to die.

Let’s start with the “billions of miles”. Voyager 1 was launched in early September 1977. Jimmy Carter was a hopeful new President. Yugoslavia and the USSR were going concerns, as were American Motors, Pan Am, F.W. Woolworth, Fotomat booths, Borders bookshops, and Pier 1. Americans were watching Happy Days, M*A*S*H and Charlie’s Angels on television; their British cousins were watching George and Mildred, The Goodies, and Tom Baker as the Fourth Doctor. If you turned on the radio, “Hotel California” by The Eagles was alternating with “Dancing Queen” by Abba (and, if we want to be completely honest, “Car Wash” by Rose Royce). Most cars still ran on leaded gasoline, most phones were still rotary dial, and the Internet was a wonky idea that was still a few weeks from a working prototype.

_The Thorn Birds_ was on top of everyone’s bestseller list. The first Apple II home computer had just gone on sale. The Sex Pistols were in the studio wrapping up _Never Mind The Bollocks_; they would tour on it for just three months and then break up, and within another year Sid Vicious would be dead of a heroin overdose. Barack Obama was a high school junior living with his grandparents in Honolulu, Hawaii: his grades were okay, but he spent most of his time hanging with his pot-smoking friends in the “Choom Gang”. Boris Johnson was tucked away at the elite Ashdown House boarding school while his parents marriage was slowly collapsing: although he was only thirteen, he had already adopted his signature hair style. Elvis had just died on the toilet a few weeks ago. It was the summer of Star Wars.

And Voyager 1 was blasting off for a tour of the Solar System.

This video with Dr. Scott Walter explaining things during the starship test was pretty interesting.

Voyager 1, which had recently been unable to communicate with NASA, has apparently phoned home in a manner that could allow a fix to be made. Absolutely amazing for a spacecraft that has been operating for 47 years and is more than 15 billion miles away.

I mean, is that thing nuclear powered? HOW is it still functioning:confused:

Both Voyagers are powered by Plutonium so yes nuclear powered. They lose a little power each year due to decay. They think it will be out of power sometime in 2025.

And both Voyagers use traveling wave tubes in their microwave transmitters. Yes, vacuum tubes, still working after 47+ years.

Last edited:
Both Voyagers are powered by Plutonium so yes nuclear powered. They lose a little power each year due to decay. They think it will be out of power sometime in 2025.

My understanding is that over the years as the amount of power produced has gone down, NASA has been turning off various devices in Voyager to keep it working and in contact.

From the article I quoted above:

Voyager has grown old. It was never designed for this! Its original mission was supposed to last a bit over three years. Voyager has turned out to be much tougher than anyone ever imagined, but time gets us all. Its power source is a generator full of radioactive isotopes, and those are gradually decaying into inert lead. Year by year, the energy declines, the power levels relentlessly fall. Year by year, NASA has been switching off Voyager’s instruments to conserve that dwindling flicker. They turned off its internal heater a few years ago, and they thought that might be the end. But those 1970s engineers built to last, and the circuitry and the valves kept working even as the temperature dropped down, down, colder than dry ice, colder than liquid nitrogen, falling towards absolute zero.

Another interesting tidbit about Voyagers Mission Control headquarters:
Voyager Mission Control used to be a couple of big rooms full of busy people, computers, giant screens. Now it’s a single room in a small office building in the San Gabriel Valley, in between a dog training school and a McDonalds. The Mission Control team is a handful of people, none of them young, several well past retirement age.

Now that is job security!

Last edited:
This group seems more interested in voyager than in starship.

This group seems more interested in voyager than in starship.

Come back when a Starship has been going for 47 years and ask again.

Not trying to be snarky. I just find it fascinating that any technology can last that long in the harsh environment of space.

Starship is some pretty nice technology too. But it's hard not to marvel at what the Voyagers' builders accomplished.

I am in awe of the engineers who designed and built Voyager. When they get all the kinks worked out of their spacecraft, I'm sure I'll be in awe of the Starship engineers too.

Good design and workmanship is always admired. One example is the Pont du Gard in France. It’s one heck of an aqueduct bridge. 2000 years old, still standing, and no mortar was used to hold it together. How did the Romans do it?

Those Starship engineers look awfully young to me. Those Roman engineers were probably pretty young also. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom