Star Wars - are you going to see it?

DW got us tickets for Wednesday. We like Star Wars and Star Trek.
Harrison Ford turned in wretched performances in two recent flicks (Ender's Game and I forget the other)
Regardless of what you think of Harrison Ford in it, Ender's Game is a very good story and movie. The film is very faithful to the book.

FWIW: I suspect it is resonance with what has evolved into the principles by which the Jedi depicted in the series abide:With those first four words removed, it's eerily parallel to the principles of my own religion - the highlighted phrases seem to have been lifted directly from those of the UUA. Such pop culture conceptions* of such a belief system serve to many folks walking into our churches for the first time as the door that opened their minds to some way to believe other than that of the religion of their birth. Lucas describes himself as "Buddhist Methodist," and so the parallel between the beliefs of the Jedi and our religion is not surprising, given that our principles reflect the integration of Eastern philosophies with Judeo-Christian philosophies.

_____
* The Jedi principles aren't the only one fictional set of principles that are so parallel to those of my own religion.

Yeah we have a lot of those in UU - I call them dual addictions. We have a lot of fun in discussion groups. 'Jewish UU, Catholic UU, Buddhist UU, Methodist UU, etc.

As a recovering SciFi addict and 30 year worker bee in the Space Program I plan to give the film a few years to 'mellow'. But watch it I will - 'resistance is futile.'

heh heh heh - born again ER I can procrastinate as long as I wish. :rolleyes: ;) :dance: :cool:

Meh, we'll see it once it's out on Redbox.

we (DS, DD, DW and me) are going to watch Star Wars on Tuesday, December 22nd. DS(27) is paying since he got a raise last month and a nice Christmas Bonus. :)

I feel like I am one of the rare few who not only doesn't have much interest in seeing the new one, but I couldn't find a way to be interested in the originals. Don't judge me too much haha

We actually do not have a TV and we do not watch many things unless it is on Netflix or something similar. Since I have quit watching TV a few years ago I have found so much free time to dedicate to other things. (many not much more productive than watching tv haha)

Saw it, loved it. We'd re-watched the original 6 as "prep"... I feel like this was the best of the 7 star wars movies. Definitely leaves you hanging on for more. The acting was good. Lots of humor. Lots of effects. Very good plot... Leaves you with lots of questions that you know you'll get answers to in the next 2 films.

It's been a long time since I saw a movie that I wanted to watch again immediately. DH and I already made plans to go see it again in 2 weeks when the kids are back in school.

If you're on the fence about it - go see it.

Saw it, loved it. We'd re-watched the original 6 as "prep"... I feel like this was the best of the 7 star wars movies. Definitely leaves you hanging on for more. The acting was good. Lots of humor. Lots of effects. Very good plot... Leaves you with lots of questions that you know you'll get answers to in the next 2 films.

It's been a long time since I saw a movie that I wanted to watch again immediately. DH and I already made plans to go see it again in 2 weeks when the kids are back in school.

If you're on the fence about it - go see it.

Rodi, that post makes me very happy. Seeing it on Christmas Eve at noon. :dance:

I'm not sure if I even watched the first one all the way through, it was so long ago. It didn't really grab my attention, so I won't be going to see this one. Haven't seen any of the sequels/prequels or whatever they are.

Sometimes I wish I was more into popular culture, but I wouldn't know how to "get into it". I did like Dr Who when I was a kid in the late 60's and early 70's though. Every time a Dalek came on the screen, I went and hid behind the sofa :LOL:

Never saw any of the trek movies. Not into sci-fi at all even though I did enjoy Flash Gordon when I was a very young buck. Had to love some flying soup cans on a string.:LOL:

Last edited:
Never saw any of the trek movies. Not into sci-fi at all even though I did enjoy Flash Gordon when I was a very young buck. Had to love some flying soup cans on a string.:LOL:
I don't feel so bad now, because the thread is actually about Star Wars and not Star Trek :D

My bad - senior moment. Never saw any of the Star War flicks either.

Now that I'm thinking about Sci-Fi, I am guilty of watching that God awful tv series - Lost In Space!

Star Wars and not Star Trek

Star this, Star that...I get so confused....I was waiting for Charlie the Tuna to show up...now he had good taste.

Saw the first 3 in the theaters, didn't see any of the next 3, not even on TV. Heard they were bad.

But one of them led to this:

Yeah I generally prefer to watch at home but I do have theater gift cards, though I may use them for other movies.

hahaha...this video is crazy!:LOL:

I have not seen any of the Star Wars movies and I don't plan on seeing this one either.

Saw it, loved it. ....Definitely leaves you hanging on for more. The acting was good. Lots of humor. Lots of effects. Very good plot... Leaves you with lots of questions that you know you'll get answers to in the next 2 films.....

+1 DW and I went tonight. Good flick... enjoyed it. I would have preferred the 2D but we ended up at the 3D as that time fit our schedule better...$20 for the both of us with a large popcorn and large lemonade... hard to beat that.

Not having been in a movie theater for years, I will watch this Star War episode when I can get a DVD from the public library.

I did watch two or three of the early Star War movies in a theater, and the rest by DVDs. The truth is I hardly remember what each episode was about. And just last week, on a cruise ship cabin TV, I watched one episode I was sure I had not seen.

Saw the movie, it was good, great special effects. The plot was almost a rehash of the original Star Wars. But I have to admit with all the build up of what this movie had to accomplish it was an impossible task to achieve. The big spoiler was seen a mile away. The one thing I have to credit George Lucas (in his prequels) was that the Jedi Battle scenes were pretty intense and flowed very well, almost like a ballet, these seemed rushed and standard. The way the 'force' was used seemed inconsistent with previous movies (maybe due to special effects limitations?).

I did have the fear that is might be a rehash when JJ Abrams did the same with the last Star Trek movie, it was almost a copy cat version of the original 'Wrath of Kahn'. Characters were reversed, but the same story. I guess the benefit they had was that most of the young people (30 years and younger) I mention that to hadn't seen 1st 'Wrath of Kahn' so they had no clue....not a chance with Star Wars.

I will definitely be seeing the sequels though. :LOL:

After carefully avoiding anything that might have a spoiler (including this thread), we saw the movie last night. It was an interesting group. DH and I had both seen the originals when new. Our 21 year old son grew up seeing them and loved them and the prequels when they came out (someone had to love them). His girlfriend, though, had never seen any of them. To prepare her he had her watch A New Hope (the original movie) and The Empire Strikes Back. She didn't like either one and he admitted that on watching them again they seem dated particularly in their special effects. He had originally intended she would watch all 6, but they only made it through 2 of them.

Having said all that, we all loved the new movie (even his girlfriend). I thought it was well done. And, no, I didn't see the big spoiler coming. I knew something was coming, just not that. And the end of the movie certainly sets up the sequel.

Oh, one more thing, the two "new" leads were really good. I liked both of them a lot. One problem with the prequels (Episodes I to III) is that some of the actors weren't very good and it dragged down the movies. This one didn't have that problem.

Not having been in a movie theater for years, I will watch this Star War episode when I can get a DVD from the public library.

I did watch two or three of the early Star War movies in a theater, and the rest by DVDs. The truth is I hardly remember what each episode was about. And just last week, on a cruise ship cabin TV, I watched one episode I was sure I had not seen.

I forgot to add that, even though I am not a real fan of Star War movies, I was surprised to read about posters who have not watched a single episode. And this is despite exposure over the years to after-theater releases on DVD, or cable channels.

Then, I remember that I have not watched a single Star Trek movie. I used to watch a couple of TV episodes decades ago, but that was it.

On the other hand, I believe I have watched all of James Bond movies, though many were rerun on TV nor DVD releases and not in a theater.

It's strange what tickles a person's fancy. Perhaps we are all creatures of habit, and what we happened to watch and enjoy as a kid follows us through our life.

Last edited:
I watched Star Wars today. (***some spoilers***)
It was good - great action, special effects, and some nostalgia of the old actors playing their roles again. Some observations - They did copy a bit from Episode IV (A New Hope), where the movie revolved around the secret info inside the droid. New Death Star is 10 times bigger. Sith Lord Master is 10 times bigger - the guy used a giant hologram to make himself a giant projection. Jedi-wannabe teen girl's background and character was not really well developed, but I guess that will unfold in the next installment. Nevertheless, it was entertaining and that's what movies are for. The showed some cool trailers for summer of 2016:
Captain America vs. IronMan
Batman vs. Superman
Star Trek 3
Independence Day 2
The 5th Wave

Now I have watched Space X's successful first stage three point landing at least half a dozen times.

Also admitted on another thread to being left-handed and a tad quirky.

heh heh heh - :cool:

OK, just got back. It was pretty good; happy I went, but for me it was a little short of the hype. I found that some places were predictable and/or too closely copied from the earlier movies. DW thought it had the feel of Ep. IV, but not for me.

Re ear plugs ... yep, started wearing them at about age 25 ...at the time it seemed reasonable to make sure I could continue to pass my flight physicals ... as time went on I experimented with options to tailor the amount of audio I got ... so, now I grab a piece of tissue or even a napkin as I am entering the theater ...add or subtract as necessary!

BTW - definitely plan on seeing the latest SW ...as I and spouse try and see as much new as possible - waaaay better than the option of not doing things like this cause they aren't like they used to be :)

Saw it yesterday at the $6 senior afternoon rate to boot. DW and I enjoyed it.

Appears that I am in the minority. I saw it last night and thought it was terrible - on par with the phantom menace.

I guess my expectations were improper. I didn't expect to see a remake of the 77 Star Wars. Also the bad guy was a bit of a wimp.

On the positive side my wife loved it.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom