Starting Wage WOW 1967!

It seems a lot of us did the gas station job. A great one for a HS kid. I did that for two years at $1.25/hour 1967-69 and bought a Yamaha Twin Jet 100 motorcycle for $300.

Then went to work for Sears as a "gofer" for the service techs in the heating and A/C section while in community college. It was more than minimum wage but not by much. Full time during the summer and worked in the office evenings two or three days a week when school was in.

Then got hired by the county PD and didn't know what to do with all that money - $11,500 a year! Half again what my Dad made just before he passed away. Interesting side story:

I was still living at home during the academy training, didn't have a bank account, so when I needed more gas/lunch money I'd just take another paycheck off the dresser, cash it at the local bank and just use that until the money ran out, then cash another. The academy was a "total immersion" experience for about six months - classes/range/driving all day and studying 3-5 hours every night, all day Saturday and half of Sunday so there wasn't time for spending money.

Well, the paychecks sort of accumulated so toward the end of the class I had a small pile of them. The Sgt. went to the front of the class one morning and asked me to stand.

Sgt.: We received at call from the county finance office about you.

Me: What about, sir?

Sgt.: You have too many outstanding paychecks and you're screwing up their account reconciliations. They ask that you please cash your paychecks.

Bearing in mind that a lot of classmates were married and had children so were struggling on that paycheck, I got a lot of strange looks. Some of them asked if I was independently wealthy. Not by any stretch, but by the time the academy ended in August of 1973 I had about $3,500 in my new bank account. That was more money than I'd ever seen.

my first real job was 1972 for 1.60 per hour washing dishes ... yes washing dishes... had to start somewhere ... in 3 months got promoted to 1.85 per hour washing pots and pans... the rest is history...

first car bought brand new was a 1973 Vega for 1995.00... remember those... aluminum blocks...lol

It seems a lot of us did the gas station job. A great one for a HS kid. I did that for two years at $1.25/hour 1967-69 and bought a Yamaha Twin Jet 100 motorcycle for $300...

I can't remember my hourly rate from 1969 but a YL-1 was my first "car" too! I'll never forget that.

Attachments

• Yamaha-YL1-1968.jpg
    Yamaha-YL1-1968.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 1
When I signed up for Social Security this year I was told I made a whopping $5,000-something in 1965. The lady said if I thought that was bad it was equal to something like $43,000 today. They have a chart that can tell you what the equivalent is in today's terms, and we both had a good laugh out of my sad little $5,000+ salary...yeah, pretty funny today I agree.
I, also, had a new Chevy Vega in 1974, which I purchased for $2,000 as it was one they were trying to get rid of. I drove it on the streets of Chicago, and, after a mere 4 years, it had rusted so much underneath that the battery was just wedged between the motor and propped there. The metal sheet the battery was bolted to had completely rusted thru!!!! One big pothole and that battery would have fallen down and into the street!!!! What a piece of crapola those Vega's were..whew!

My 72 Vega was a rolling rustbucket. But, it was more reliable than a Pinto.

In '69 I was making $2.00/hr as a sailing instructor/ski boat driver in Hawaii. Also was going to college on a sailing scholarship. Tough life!

Back
Top Bottom