Stolen License Plate

Teacher Terry

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Today I came out of a store and put my items in the trunk. I noticed my license plate is gone along with the frame. What a hassle to deal with this in Nevada. The DMV doesn’t give good information on their site. A friend tells me I have to make an online police report. I try to do that and their site says I have to call. It turns out I have to turn the other plate into them and then take a form they give me to the DMV.

I can’t get an appointment with the DMV for 2 weeks. The police said the information gets put into an online database and then a person is pulled over at gunpoint because it’s a felony. I bought the car from a friend when he was dying.

The special frame commemorated his service in Vietnam. He barely survived a horrific battle and spent a year in the hospital. I feel terrible about losing the plate frame. It was a nice reminder of who he was.

Anyone else experience this? Maybe it’s easier in some states to deal with this. If I was still working I would have to take time off.

Last edited:
Oh, that's terrible. What a hassle.
Sorry you lost that memory plate of your friend.

In Texas it is not hard to get replacements for lost, damage or stolen plates. A ~10 minute stop at my local county tax assessor-collector’s office and less than $10 and I'm done. Last time I did this is was 50 cents, since I wanted to replace my current plates with personalized plates that I already had from another car.

Of course in my case, the county tax assessor-collector’s office is never busy and super convenient for me.

Last edited:
Just DO make sure that the theft is reported and you get the replacement tags ASAP. There is a reason someone wanted the tag and you don't want to have to be explaining why you aren't the person who did what they did.

Just DO make sure that the theft is reported and you get the replacement tags ASAP. There is a reason someone wanted the tag and you don't want to have to be explaining why you aren't the person who did what they did.
Yep

Dear TT,
So sorry for the hassle. I took a look on eBay, and there are all kinds of Vietnam veteran plate frames. You might be able to find a replacement.

The DMV doesn’t give good information on their site. A friend tells me I have to make an online police report. I try to do that and their site says I have to call. It turns out I have to turn the other plate into them and then take a form they give me to the DMV.

I can’t get an appointment with the DMV for 2 weeks.

This is absurd. It also warrants a strongly worded letter from you to the state congresscritters and the governor.

You're supposed to drive around with either no tags or the remaining one that is reported stolen? State DMV people have never been noted for smarts, at least where I've lived, but this is a new low of stupidity on steroids.

Oh, that's terrible. What a hassle.
Sorry you lost that memory plate of your friend.

Agree. The loss of the memory frame is sad.

I had my plan stolen once but it was relatively easy (in MI) to just go to the DVM and get a new plate. No police involved. Sorry it will be more difficult for you to deal with this.

FWIW, they make some bolts that are easy to screw in and difficult to unscrew. Probably won't stop a determined thief but may make it difficult enough to have them move on and leave your's alone.

I’m at the police station right now waiting my turn. They said they get at least one report a day of stolen plates. The soonest I could get a dmv appointment was in 2 weeks. Until then they gave me a form to carry with me if I get pulled over.

Walt, no they take the other plate because now that it’s in the database as stolen you definitely don’t want to be using it. Thanks to others for the suggestions on the commemorative frame and hard to remove screws.

Why do you want an appointment at the DMV?
I’ve never heard of that. You go in and stand in line. No such things as DMV appointments in every state I’ve ever lived in.

I’ve never heard of that. You go in and stand in line. No such things as DMV appointments in every state I’ve ever lived in.

Because they don’t take walk ins. They used to 27 years ago when I first moved here and literally it would take all day. They would lock the doors at 5pm and it would take hours to finish.

Dear TT,
So sorry for the hassle. I took a look on eBay, and there are all kinds of Vietnam veteran plate frames. You might be able to find a replacement.

I went on eBay and looked and the Vietnam plates are very generic. I’m guessing he had his custom made because it had a lot of specific information on it.

I must have a black cloud around me today:)). When I got home from Walmart I noticed that I was charged twice for the same item. I usually check in the car before leaving but I had my mind on my license plate.

Then I walked my 2 dogs that are only 5lbs around a small pond close to my home. A man had 2 big dogs off leash on the walking path which is not allowed. His 2 big dogs came running up to us and it was scary not knowing if they are friendly. I had picked mine up and I asked him to leash them and he went crazy. His wife was yelling at him to get them away from me and he just started to yell at both of us.

It’s becoming more of a problem lately and although my dogs love going there because we know so many people that pet them I think I will just walk the neighborhood where dogs are always leashed. Ugh!! Now I realize that these are all little problems in the big scheme of things:)).

Last edited:
Amazon has some plate holders available. Maybe Nords can direct you to other sources.

Bad clouds do crop up from time to time. Hang in there!

That is terrible to have to go through that. You would think something like that could be made a lot simpler to go through.

Good Luck and wish You the best.

I'm sorry you had this happen to you Terry.

The DMV in Texas is moving to appointments only for driver's tests and drivers license renewals.....slowly, but it is coming. And you make the appointment online.

The DMV in Texas is moving to appointments only for driver's tests and drivers license renewals.....slowly, but it is coming. And you make the appointment online.
In Texas you get your cars license plates at your local county tax assessor-collector’s office. That's a walk-in. Drivers license OTOH are issued by the DMV and that's getting to be by appointment only.

Sorry for your troubles, Terry. In Maryland they often issue paper temporary tags until the metal ones are available, I guess NV doesn't do that? If you have a form, you might want to leave it on the dash or back ledge (if your car has one, and if your state doesn't require front plates), especially when you're parked. I've even seen some people tape the form or receipt to the inside of the back window (on the driver's side, so it's not blocking your rear view).

Sorry for your troubles, Terry. In Maryland they often issue paper temporary tags until the metal ones are available, I guess NV doesn't do that? If you have a form, you might want to leave it on the dash or back ledge (if your car has one, and if your state doesn't require front plates), especially when you're parked. I've even seen some people tape the form or receipt to the inside of the back window (on the driver's side, so it's not blocking your rear view).

No paper temporary tags here unfortunately. Considering one of the guys in my condo complex has been driving around for 3 years without license plates I probably won’t even be stopped.

Stolen plates are often used on vehicles that will be used in robberies or other illegal behavior so deal with this asap before the cops show up at your door with guns.

I threw mine in the trash after we transferred the car from DH’s name to mine (no, DMV wouldn’t transfer the plates) and they were later retrieved-no idea where or how-and used by people running through EZ Pass lanes! Lesson learned.

My DMV went to appointment-only during COVID. I actually liked it. I think they’re back to walk-ins now.

I threw mine in the trash after we transferred the car from DH’s name to mine (no, DMV wouldn’t transfer the plates) and they were later retrieved-no idea where or how-and used by people running through EZ Pass lanes! Lesson learned.

My DMV went to appointment-only during COVID. I actually liked it. I think they’re back to walk-ins now.

I never threw them away but I did give one to a colleague for his collection. The lesson I learned was to turn them in to the DMV and GET A RECEIPT. Here in MD they have an unmonitored dropbox but you are supposed to stand in line a get a receipt. I needed proof that the plate was not in use but I hadn’t bothered to get a receipt. I think DMV claimed there was no insurance policy on file for that plate.

Back
Top Bottom