Stripped Screw Head Removal

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Has anyone used these type tools for removing a wood screw head that is stripped out? Do they work or another tool or method would you advise to use?

Attachments

• screw removal.jpg
    screw removal.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 454
Has anyone used these type tools for removing a wood screw head that is stripped out? Do they work or another tool or method would you advise to use?

Yes, they work very well.

Unless you care about the wood, I just gouge out enough wood so that I’m able to get hold of the screw with some vice grip pliers. If I cared about the wood, I’d try those tools. I used to use them when I worked on cars and they usually worked. Of course with metal, you usually needed to have patience to let the penetrating oil work unless you wanted to get the torch out.

ETA:

There’s also these pliers.

https://www.vampiretools.com/shop/products/pliers/vampliers-6-25-screw-extraction-pliers/

Last edited:
The ones I have have a longer taper. I think that might be better than the short taper on this particular set. But yes they work just fine. The trade name is Easy-out although I think it's kind of become generic like Kleenex in terms of describing these little tools.

I've used them for metal screws, not in wood. Can you share a picture of what you are working with? You might get better suggestions on how to approach the problem.

The ones I have have a longer taper. I think that might be better than the short taper on this particular set. But yes they work just fine. The trade name is Easy-out although I think it's kind of become generic like Kleenex in terms of describing these little tools.

Thanks, something else to add to my Christmas wish list :).

Yep, I have a few... They work well. (Usually)

Hint for the OP: The hardest part of the exercise (in my experience) is getting the drilled hole started somewhere near the center of the victim and then keeping it there. A Dremel can sometimes be helpful for preparing the surface with a center punch to locate the starting point. If the victim has a Phillips, square (Robertson), or Pozidriv head then getting the hole started in the center is quite a bit easier.

Last edited:
You need to drill a hole to use the tools pictured. Use a left handed drill bit to drill the pilot hole and chances are that the screw will come out using the left handed drill bit and you won't even need to use the tools in your picture.

I don't know if it actually works, but I've seen videos of hacks where you use a rubber band in the stripped screw head to give screwdriver some bite.

You need to drill a hole to use the tools pictured. Use a left handed drill bit to drill the pilot hole and chances are that the screw will come out using the left handed drill bit and you won't even need to use the tools in your picture.

Good idea, I keep my left handed drill bits, with my left handed roofing nails for when I get to that side of the roof on a job. ;)

Good idea. You're never too old to learn, I guess. I have number, letter, fractional, metric, brad point, spade, and Silver & Deming plus a bunch of center drills for the lathe, but have never owned any left twist anything. Something new to buy!

Just got back in and see I got some great advice!!! I will look at the tapered longer bits that you have links and names for. Thank You!

So, with these tools I have pictured you still need to drill a hole in screw head, in order for these extractions bits to work:confused:

I don't have a picture of the project they need to be used on. They are spindles that attach to a stairway that is in my son's home. He mentioned he need to move some items up and down and would need to remove spindles along stairway to make it easier. He said, he had a few screw heads that were stripped out.

So, I was planning on getting him the proper tool so he would have them.

Just got back in and see I got some great advice!!! I will look at the tapered longer bits that you have links and names for. Thank You!

So, with these tools I have pictured you still need to drill a hole in screw head, in order for these extractions bits to work:confused:....

Something like this might help to get the drilled hole centered:

https://www.harborfreight.com/hinge-drill-bit-set-3-pc-61550.html

image_25546.jpg

You might need piece of tubing (HW or hobby store) just big enough to fit over the screw head and maybe 1/2" long. That could help center this bit.

Or drill a hole the size of the screw head in a piece of wood, and clamp that piece of wood in place to guide the centering drill. Or just a hole the size of the drill if you cane see well enough to get that centered over the screw head.

-ERD50

Last edited:
The bits in the original post have the left handed drill bit built into the top side, and then after drilling, you flip the bit around and use the bottom side in the picture to remove the screw.

So, with these tools I have pictured you still need to drill a hole in screw head, in order for these extractions bits to work:confused:

Not always, depends on the screw head. A rounded off robertson already has a center hole.

I didn't have to drill mine, the one time I got to use my easy-out removal bits.

jevans04, yes indeed! I never noticed that excellent observation!! Thank You!

I have a set of those screw extractors, but seldom use them.

Often I will get a new screwdriver head of high quality in my cordless drill and it'll back out most wood screws. I've given up on Harbor Freight screwdriver heads.

tfudtuckerpucker, great tutorial video.

For most of my wood working projects I use mostly square or star headed screws, much better grip and little chance of stripping the heads. For smaller screws like with cabinet hinges I just predrill and use a regular screwdriver, the bigger problem there is usually stripping out the hole, not the screw head.

It's been years since I've had a stripped screw head. Last time was some copper screws. IIRC, I cut a slit in the head and was able to use a screwdriver to get them out far enough to grab them with some vise grips.

Good idea, I keep my left handed drill bits, with my left handed roofing nails for when I get to that side of the roof on a job. ;)

...but you have to use a left handed hammer to work on that side, just like he'll need a left handed screwdriver to start the tool to remove the screw 😃

Back
Top Bottom