Stuck oil filter on a 2005 Prius

second band style wrench

Hello,

I have had great success with wrapping one layer of duct tape on the filter. Put steel wool on the duct tape then use the band type oil filter remover (you can also wedge steel wool under the band while it is on the filter). The steel wool really digs in. If doesn't work, bring it to the dealer.

Good Luck,

Wally

Off topic, but responding to the original post: I'm a crappy backyard mechanic, and visit a lot of automotive/mechanical forums (just to see if I can learn anything), so I see it a lot, but that 'lefty-loosey'--'righty tighty' just drives me up a wall. It should be 'clockwise--to tighten' & 'counterclockwise--to loosen'. This is universal, whether you're turning a nut & bolt, oil filter, or a garden hose connection (unless you have an early 50's Chrysler vehicle that had reverse threads on the lugnuts on one side of the vehicle because they thought going down the road fast would loosen the lugnuts).
In response to Al's comment on Fram---that grip on the end of the filter is a great idea, but check out BITOG or some other forums, and you'll find that Fram isn't held in high regard like it used to be.

Last edited:
Off topic, but responding to the original post: I'm a crappy backyard mechanic, and visit a lot of automotive/mechanical forums (just to see if I can learn anything), so I see it a lot, but that 'lefty-loosey'--'righty tighty' just drives me up a wall. It should be 'clockwise--to tighten' & 'counterclockwise--to loosen'. This is universal, whether you're turning a nut & bolt, oil filter, or a garden hose connection (unless you have an early 50's Chrysler vehicle that had reverse threads on the lugnuts on one side of the vehicle because they thought going down the road fast would loosen the lugnuts).
In response to Al's comment on Fram---that grip on the end of the filter is a great idea, but check out BITOG or some other forums, and you'll find that Fram isn't held in high regard like it used to be.
The coating / grip in some oil filters interferes with some filter wrenches. Some LPG tanks have left hand threads.

Success.

Wrap your wrench with some duct tape or electrical tape in multiple places to add more grip to it
If your filter socket wrench isn't a snug fit, wrapping some tape on the filter itself to take out the slack and prevent the slippage. Cloth electrician's friction tape comes to mind (if it' still being sold). It's worth a shot.
If you have a 16" pair of channel lock pliers or a large pipe wrench will work if you have room. It will deform the shell , but better than the screwdriver skewer method. Duct tape to add friction as mentioned before helps sometimes too.
Here's another vote for the channel locks if you have the room. The filter on my tractor vibrates itself so tight there is no other way to remove other than channel locks. It is a little unnerving to deform the filter, but it always has come off.
I have had great success with wrapping one layer of duct tape on the filter. Put steel wool on the duct tape then use the band type oil filter remover (you can also wedge steel wool under the band while it is on the filter). The steel wool really digs in. If doesn't work, bring it to the dealer.
Duct tape. Of course duct tape. Thanks, I wish I'd thought of that!

A couple wraps of that (in the CCW direction to grip with the tools) and then my big 14"... Ford wrench, plus a couple of scraped knuckles to sanctify the ritual [-]profanity[/-] incantations, and-- the filter moved about one millimeter. But it moved.

It took me almost two minutes to get it another 10 millimeters, and by then it was more rectangular than cylindrical (but still oil-tight). It was nearly two full freakin' turns between the wrench and a pair of channel-lock pliers before I'd consider it merely "hand tight".

The O-ring was crushed totally flat to the filter's metal rim, and they'd probably ground the filter metal into the engine casing until friction exceeded torque. I'm lucky they didn't gall the threads.

Of course now I'm wondering if the alleged "mechanic" had trouble sealing that filter to the engine casing's mating surface, but it seemed clean & smooth. I hope that the casing is tougher than the filter. The new filter's on finger-tight-plus-a-quarter-turn, and I'll leave a drip tray under the car for a couple days to see if it develops a leak.

Maybe post on priuschat . com for the prius geeks to give a shot at it.
Oops, guess the 2005 has a canister instead of a cartridge insert type oil filter.
It's just a Toyota dealer's regular cylindrical oil filter, but I thought John's photo looked familiar. I decided to post here first (it was a mechanical problem, not only Priutical) and then the duct tape did the trick.

I have so been there.
Your problem isn't really that it's stuck, but that those silly plastic cap oil filters slip, perhaps because different manufacturers make the oil filters slightly differently.
When you replace it, get the Fram filters that have a rough surface, so that you can get it quite tight by hand (and don't tighten it further).
Here's a question, Nords. When you get to the filter removal point, haven't you already drained the oil? That is, aren't you stuck unless you put in new oil?
I've never needed more than a cheap plastic filter cap and a bit of leverage from a torque wrench or a crescent wrench. Now that the first oil change is out of the way, I shouldn't need any specialized tools ever again. I like the grip on those Fram filters too.

And, yeah, we didn't encounter the filter problem until the oil was already drained, so this job took almost eight quarts of oil instead of just under four. But I buy it in five-quart jugs so we had plenty.

No great ideas here.
Where's a Machinist Mate 1st when you need one?
There are times when I really, really, miss the engineroom upper level tool box. And the ETMS equipment drawer.

I think lefty-loosey and righty-tighty are a lot more memorable than the proper mechanic's references!

Right off the top of my head, the blades on rotary saws are secured by reverse-threaded screws. Of course [-]Easy-Out[/-] screw/bolt extractors are reverse-threaded. I'm sure other posters will remember more reverse-thread situations. Luckily the Navy mnemonic for those situations is "righty-roosey", so I'm usually not confused for long.

Nords, I seen to recall an incident with DW and DD where you made a comment about me being cheap. :)
Kettle to pot: pay for an oil change.
I'm sorry. Again. I'm going to be apologizing for that offhanded comment for a long time, aren't I?

I don't mind the money-- it's the hassle factor of getting on the mechanic's appointment calendar, sitting in the waiting room, and then having him say "Eh, brah, no problem-- no girly hands for me!"

Last edited:
Glad you finally got it off! (Yes, I'm talking about your oil filter...)
I'm sorry. Again. I'm going to be apologizing for that offhanded comment for a long time, aren't I?
Once again, no apology necessary. It was true - and funny!
I don't mind the money-- it's the hassle factor of getting on the mechanic's appointment calendar, sitting in the waiting room, and then having him say "Eh, brah, no problem-- no girly hands for me!"
Do what I do in those situations. Get the DW to take it in... :)

No, I'm not going to puncture the filter with a screwdriver and try to remove it that way.

Oh, well, there goes my idea. I've done that once or twice, although not in the past 15-20 years. Big channel locks have been used, too.

Now that I have a house I may start changing my own oil again.

Can you skip the storebought filter and filter the oil using duct tape alone?

Can you skip the storebought filter and filter the oil using duct tape alone?
Great idea!

I guess that would depend on your definition of "success"... you'd have to keep pouring oil in the top of the engine faster than it leaked through the duct tape. But it'd be filtered!

This is the oil filter wrench I use after my other oil filter wrenches have failed to remove a filter. It's cheap but remarkably good quality. I've had mine for several years and I have not broken it and it always removes those stubborn filters.

Locking Oil Filter Wrench

Nords, it always amazed me why people think an oil filter has to be torqued to 150 foot pounds:facepalm: After almost 30 years in the automotive business I have seen it all. I also feel your pain. Simple things were the ones that always got me:(
I found that the 14 flute, 65 mm end cap style oil filter wrench to work best on one like you have in case you want to buy one for future use. I use this one Toyota 90915-YZZF2 and it works perfect. I have just about any tool known to man in my shop but sometimes I get whooped trying to do something simple :flowers:

Glad you finally got it off--Success is sweet. So, if I'm loosening something, and I'm looking at it and start at 6 o'clock for a reference point for lefty-loosey, then I'm actually tightening the darn thing.

Come to think of it, my tractor oil filters use O-rings. Wonder if this is the root cause of the problem having so little surface area to prevent the filter from continue to tighten itself via vibration to the point of impossible removal. My truck (desiel) uses a very large filter, but the spherical rubber gasket has large flat surfaces not an o-ring. I have never had an issue removing this larger filter from my truck. When i install my tractor filter, because of all the problems i've had removing filters, i gingerly tighten it only by hand and never give the extra twist. But even so, it is always impossible to remove.

Hope your next removal goes as planned, but i'm thinking, you will have the same experience.

The older Prius models use a conventional fiber oil filter in a metal can, that threads onto a small connector centered in a larger circular plate that the filter's O-ring seals against. It's the sort of filter every shade tree mechanic is familiar with.

The 2010 Prius and some Lexus models use a cartridge filter. This is the fiber (paper) filter element, mounted in a reusable cover or canister. Changing it is a little different. That's what the priuschat.com thread is talking about. When changing the filter on these models, you will need a torque wrench. The proper torque is important for getting the O-ring seated and properly compressed, while avoiding damage to the filter cover and mounting.

You can get all fancy with a $45 torque wrench:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00944593000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Or just go with a $20 torsion beam wrench:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00944690000P?prdNo=11&blockNo=11&blockType=G11

I find that there is enough in the way of metal on plastic and aluminum in modern hardware that these wrenches are very handy to have around.

Hope your next removal goes as planned, but i'm thinking, you will have the same experience.
Nah, see, we've owned a 2006 Prius for over three years and never needed more than the cheap plastic filter wrench. We only bought that because my daughter started changing the oil before she developed the grip strength to do it without the wrench.

Now the 2005 has the same system & filters & torque as the 2006, so it should all be smooth sailing. The most difficult part of the oil change will be arranging it to happen when my daughter's home from college on breaks, or else I'll have to actually crawl under there to do it myself.

oil filter tightness - PriusChat Forums
Just found this on a prius website. Evidently there is some sort of clip that prevents your filter froms spinning. Might want to read.
As others have pointed out, you're reading from the GenIII/2010 & up section of the board. Our 2005 & 2006 have a more traditional system-- no clips or worries about torque specs.

I don't think I'll be ready for a GenIII Prius discussion until at least 2020...

I'm bookmarking this thread, in case I ever feel any LBYM guilt pangs over taking the cars in for an oil change. I've found a place that doesn't try to up-sell me on everything, they are fast and cheap and thorough, and I just can't see going through the effort for the $ saves, even when all goes reasonably well. With the miles we put on our cars, oil changes are only 1 to 2x per year.

I'll change plugs/wires on a 4 cyl engine (not a 6-cyl, too much work for me), but that may be only 2-3x in the life of a car these days. Pretty easy job on a four-banger, and I save maybe $100.

-ERD50

I had similar problems once with my Toyota. After explaining the problem to my mechanic, he gave me a big grin and loaned me his filter wrench that he had bought from the BIG TRUCK tool company. This thing grabbed the filter with an iron grip and I managed to get it off. Next, I had my mechanic order me the same wrench he used. Never had a problem since that time. Well, oil filter problems that is....

Agreed, ERD50. The extra cost of having my local mechanic do the oild change is well worth it. He has also caught a few minor things that might have caused problems down the road. My oil filter is located under the care and I would need to jack it up, put the stands underneath to support it, and then work on the filter. My old Toyota had the filter sitting up high and it could easily grab it from the top with the hood open.

Back
Top Bottom