Price of oil change in your area

The past few years, we're driving 2-4,000 in each vehicle. My state inspection guy just did the annual oil change for $35 & $40 (DW up charge). Same exact Toyota engine... No complaints here. He's super fast too, like he didn't even change it ;)

I have always had oil and filter changed at the dealer for my 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe. They use semi-synthetic and of course a Hyundai filter. I go with the severe service recommendations: 6 months or 3750 miles. Costs me under $60. This is the first car I haven't done my own oil changes, getting too old for that. They always do a free inspection and since the car has staggered tire fitment, there is no tire rotation performed.

I change the oil myself on the Toyotas for about $25 including Valvoline oil and spin on OEM Toyota oil filters I buy in bulk. Takes about 10 minutes each. The dealer does the BMW for $129 which includes 10 quarts of full synthetic oil plus an OEM cartridge filter. They also top off anything else like washer fluid for no extra cost.

My first service with the new car cost me $95. That is for synthetic, filter and tire rotation. I think it was $20 for the tires so $75 for the oil change. Luckily I only have to do it annually since they recommend every 7500 miles and I will usually put on less than that in a year.

There was a time I could do an oil/filer change in ~15 mins, especially on my pre 70's collectables and when I had an operating lift, but not anymore. Now it's getting out the hydraulic jack(s), jack stands, wheel chocks, lots of cardboard and digging out the right hand tools, to start. Then it's removing all the dang water/dirt shields, and/or skid plates just to get to the drain plug and filter. Then it's only ~15 more mins. :) But when I'm finished, I know what's been done! Priceless. YMMV

Yeah, that sounds way more elaborate than MY oil changes….. are you driving an armored HumVee or something? :D:D
My Outback has heigh enough clearance that I could squeeze underneath to access the plug without jacking up. No shields or trim over the plug, so, trivial and fast to access the plug. I do have a set of ramps to lift up the front a little (for my other cars that have less clearance), but the plugs are easily reachable on all of them.

I admit, I probably wouldn’t do it myself on your cars and the procedures you describe….

Yeah, that sounds way more elaborate than MY oil changes….. are you driving an armored HumVee or something? :D:D
My Outback has heigh enough clearance that I could squeeze underneath to access the plug without jacking up. No shields or trim over the plug, so, trivial and fast to access the plug. I do have a set of ramps to lift up the front a little (for my other cars that have less clearance), but the plugs are easily reachable on all of them.

I admit, I probably wouldn’t do it myself on your cars and the procedures you describe….

For newer Subarus the oil filter is accessible from the top so it's easiest to buy an oil extractor for changing & not remove the plug.

No way you could slide under my Challenger without jacking it up. It's low to the ground for a reason (improved airflow). The shield(s) under the car are for better air flow too as well as water/mud protection. The chocks and jack stands are for my protection and the cardboard is for my comfort. Any shade tree mechanic worth 2 cents will have lots and lots of big sheets of cardboard. :) Sounds like a lot of stuff but it's really not bad at all and I'm in no rush these days anyway.

Now my full size 4x4 pickup is a different story... I could almost "camp out" under it. :LOL:

Last edited:
What kind of prices does everyone else have for an oil change??
I think my last "service" was $350, but includes a loaner with its own EZpass.

It's a lot of money but I didn't buy Mercedes to save money on oil changes, I buy them because they make me feel good and I like driving them.

My local mechanic charges around $80 I think for a 6 quart synth on my son's volks. I remember paying $50 or so a few years ago for 5 quart changes.

Things have gone up, everywhere.

I still do my own oil change, for expediency. When I bought a new car in Jan 2021, GM gave me the 1st oil change free. In Jan 2022, brought the car to a dealer who did it, while I waited for 2 hours, with the service shop and dealership deserted of customers. The oil-changer guy did not want his boss to know he ran out of work, I guess.

Well, they said it would cost me $100 out of pocket, but was it worth my 2 hours? Maybe. I sure was bored as heck during the wait. The showroom did not even have any new car for me to look at to spend the time.

Nope not again. Bought Mobil synthetic at Costco and did the 2nd oil change in Jan 2023. Forgot how much it cost. A lot less than $100, and much quicker than 2 hours.

Last edited:
I have let mine go for too long time wise.
I am still around 3k miles on a synthetic oil fill but well over a year. I will get an oil change in June when I renew my tags. The car says it is at 80% life still. I believe I paid 89.00 when I had it done. I can't find it on my budget schedule.
Virginia has increased tag fees for hybrid and electric vehicles unless you prove you drove less. I have to figure out how to prove that since I just don't get out and about much. My not so early ER was 15 years ago.

Last edited:
On 3 vehicles the oil change interval mostly co-incides with the required annual PA safety and emission inspections. I have the favorite shop do it, since am there, the vehicles get lifted on the rack for underside and brake inspections anyway. Usually around $75.- for filter and synthetic.

While at it they check the tranny, tranfer case and diffs as well. Am a satisfied customer.
Once I had the truck at the dealer for inspection, they tried to rip me off for rust on the inner surfaces of rotors. Could not prove that the rust on non brakepad contact area effected braking performance.
Wanted $550 for R&R, that is for the two front rotors only.. Told them to stuff it.

Last edited:
For newer Subarus the oil filter is accessible from the top so it's easiest to buy an oil extractor for changing & not remove the plug.

My 2017 Outback does have the oil filter in a very convenient place, so I do have that option. Do you know how much of the oil is removed with a consumer type extractor? I always figured that draining would remove more, but I could be totally wrong on that.

I also used to do my own oil changes but at 73 and with back, shoulder and knee issues I'm done with crawling around under vehicles. The last oil change on DW's Honda Accord was at a new place and was $99, with synthetic, which I did not ask for. It was there also for a state inspection. I'll never go back there again. Even the dealer is cheaper than that, but being in MD they can't do the state (WV) inspection.

For the truck, I just started going to a local family-owned dealer who by the looks of it started in business when they were shoeing horses. Anyway, an oil change & lube, filter, minor windshield washer hose repair, state inspection, and battery load test was $99 & change. I'll keep going back there.

I was going to a different family-owned independent shop but he retired. I'd heard it was forced by health issues but I hope not.

Have been using Firestone for all "non-dealer" maintenance for over 20 years. Oil change runs about $45 to $50 with a coupon (almost always available on line). Purchase their tires also. Free lifetime balance & rotation. Lifetime alignment runs about $150 with coupon (but have not checked lately). BTW, they emailed recently reminding me I needed to stop in for my free alignment. They also check fluids, tire pressure and are competitive with local brake shops (when using a coupon, of course).

I like that if I have a problem while traveling, there is usually a Firestone nearby, and my car's history is in the computer. Less hassle than dealership and much cheaper usually.

Couple of coffee shops/restaurants near my local store, so easy to take a book and have a bite to eat while waiting for car.

I seem to always get coupons from our local Honda dealer that coincide with the maintenance schedules for our Civic and CR-V for full synthetic oil changes and tire rotations for $50 or $60 (the most recent CR-V coupon was $49.95 and the Civic was $59.95 - go figure). So far it's worked out well for us.

Through hard experience I have learned to never to let someone else change my oil or mount my downhill ski bindings.

It’s an hour drive to get to an oil change place and I can have it done at home in ten minutes for $37 on my cars and $70 on my 14 quart diesel truck. An initial investment of about $25 for each vehicle buys a quality brass Fumoto valve (google it for your vehicle) that just dumps the oil with the flick of a small lever so no need to remove the oil drain plug. A cheap strap wrench pulls the filter. Oil is recycled at most auto parts stores or quick lube places.

Quick change places are an open invitation to scams and bad behavior. Even in honest places the incompetence factor is high.

I have a relationship with a small private shop in Maryland, that I have been using for a while. I just had a bunch of other work done to my 2011 Honda CRZ. The oil change, parts and labor was $67.85, 4 quarts of synthetic oil.

I have never been a fan of the dealer. And although price is important, trust and loyalty is more important when it comes to the trades.

Last edited:
I think it was around $75 before we moved. Have not needed that service yet at the new place. In any case, never let them change the engine air filter or the cabin air filter. These are cheap and super easy to diy.

I was born in 66. Dragged out and learned every thing about 1960-70 cars and from then on. Wix filter and 5 quarts 30ish bucks 35. Takes 15 minutes and 16 seconds.

Had to get oil change done today from a dealer. Less than a year ago it was about $55. Today it was $84.50 for 6 quarts and a filter. WOW!!

I will want to find a cheaper place the next time or start doing them myself again.

My local Wal-Mart is less than 4 miles from the house. Here's what I spend every 3000 miles:

FRAM Extra Guard Filter PH9837, 10K mile Change Interval Oil Filter for Select Buick, Chevrolet, GMC, Hummer, Pontiac, and Saturn Vehicles
(4.5)
4.5 stars out of 20 reviews
20 reviews
$4.17

Super Tech All Mileage Synthetic Blend Motor Oil SAE 5W-30, 5 Quarts
(4.3)
4.3 stars out of 43 reviews
43 reviews
$17.47

$17.47 + $4.17 = $21.61 and about an hour of my time including driving to the store and buying the stuff. I can dispose of the old oil at my place of employment as they have a used equipment oil recycling program.

If it's -20º outside and I really don't feel like laying outside in the elements, I can take it to Wal-Mart's service center. Here's what they charge in my neck of the woods:

Oil Change

Standard oil
Meets industry performance standards.
Conventional motor oil change. Basic level engine protection.
$34.88

High-mileage oil: Additional charge may apply for using non-featured oil.*
For vehicles with over 75,000 miles.
Protects against oil burn-off and leaks.
Helps extend engine life.
$44.88

Semi-synthetic oil: Additional charge may apply for using non-featured oil.*
Meets Dexos & new car specifications.
Provides better protection than standard (conventional) oil.
$44.88

Synthetic oil: Additional charge may apply for using non-featured oil.*
Synthetic oil change. Special additives maximize performance.
Provides highest level of engine protection.
$54.88

Pit Crew
Up to 5 qts. conventional oil.
New oil filter.
Chassis lubrication (where applicable).
Check
Battery performance
Check & fill
Tire pressure
$24.88

Lube and services: Some vehicles may require an additional charge. Ask for details**
Up to 5 qts. conventional oil.
New oil filter.
Chassis lubrication (where applicable).
Windshield wash exterior.
Check
Battery performance
Air filter
Wiper blades
Lights
Check & fill
Transmission fluid
Washer fluid
Power steering fluid
Differential fluid
Tire Pressure
*Additional charge may apply for using non-featured oil. Prices may vary by location.
**Some vehicles may require an additional charge. Ask for details
Walmart does not inspect tires for safety. We only check and adjust tire pressure.

I have had good luck with Super-Tech oil and Fram Sure-Grip filters. My last truck made it to 250,000+ miles (and still ran great - on the original clutch!) before it rusted so much that the driver's door kept opening up when I went around a right-hand corner. My current truck has ~145,000 miles and it doesn't use any oil between changes so I'll keep doing what I've been doing. :dance:

I hadan oil change a few weeks ago. I had a direct mail coupon for $20, but the actual charge ended up being about $25. I think that was 4 quarts semi-synthetic motor oil and filter. They did a multi-point inspection and were supposed to rotate my tires, but I found they had not rotated them.

I'm going to get the pot hole special!

29143-albums233-picture2775.jpeg

Groupon is a great place for deals. Just paid 59.95 for high mileage oil change, top off fluids, replace filter, fill tires and car wash including interior vacuuming.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom