Study shows middle age is truly depressing

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
If you folks in your 40's are too depressed to read this, I'll understand. :)

"Middle age is truly miserable, according to a study using data from 80 countries showing that depression is most common among men and women in their forties."

"...the good news is that if people make it to aged 70 and are still physically fit, they are on average as happy and mentally healthy as a 20-year old."

Study finds middle age is truly depressing | UK | Reuters

I'm glad I wasn't one of those! In my 40s I was having a great time. Remarried at 38 to a wonderful woman, I was enjoying my job doing what was then cutting-edge work, the boss left me alone to do it, past the "house-poor" stage after starting over from scratch after divorce five years earlier, had a fun hobby that I enjoyed... and the list goes on.

What depression?

If you folks in your 40's are too depressed to read this, I'll understand. :)

"Middle age is truly miserable, according to a study using data from 80 countries showing that depression is most common among men and women in their forties."

"...the good news is that if people make it to aged 70 and are still physically fit, they are on average as happy and mentally healthy as a 20-year old."

Study finds middle age is truly depressing | UK | Reuters

Do I HAVE to go back to being as happy and mentally healthy as a 20-year-old? My fifties have been so much more fun, and I've been happier than any other time of my life. I will tell you about how the sixties are in about six months. :eek:

And who says a 20-year-old is mentally healthy? I think most of us can think of things we did when we were 20, that were absolutely crazy.

I an relate to being depressed in my forties. Same old, get up, go to work, come home, make dinner, watch TV, go to bed and repeat.
Gained weight, perimenopause, hot flashes, eeeeehk I was too tired and too busy to even remember much of my forties. The beginning of my fifties were much better.

I think most people in their 40s are still trying to advance, achieve, succeed: fretting about getting promotions, raising children through teenage years, worrying how they appear to family/neighbors/coworkers, trying to hold a marriage together (or watching it fall apart), maybe trying to take care of elderly parents...

After a certain point (age 60? 70?), most of that stuff has already happened. Whether you 'succeeded' or 'failed' at any of those endeavors, that cannot be undone. You are where you are and accepting that can bring peace.

I think most people in their 40s are still trying to advance, achieve, succeed: fretting about getting promotions, raising children through teenage years, worrying how they appear to family/neighbors/coworkers, trying to hold a marriage together (or watching it fall apart), maybe trying to take care of elderly parents...

After a certain point (age 60? 70?), most of that stuff has already happened. Whether you 'succeeded' or 'failed' at any of those endeavors, that cannot be undone. You are where you are and accepting that can bring peace.

As Popeye said,

"I yam what I yam."

My ex wanted me to improve this or that. I tried. Finally I said, "Hey, I've got eyes. I am clearly on the sunny side of the bell curve. Do what you will."

Ha

"And who says a 20-year-old is mentally healthy? I think most of us can think of things we did when we were 20, that were absolutely crazy."

My stomach rolls and I cringe at the stupid things I did in my 20s. Man what an idiot I was er am nevermind.. ;)

You mean trying not to kill the children through teenage years:mad:
That was depressing!

Hey REW, I thought we were middle aged. What's with 40, my son's approaching that age?

"And who says a 20-year-old is mentally healthy? I think most of us can think of things we did when we were 20, that were absolutely crazy."

My stomach rolls and I cringe at the stupid things I did in my 20s. Man what an idiot I was er am nevermind.. ;)

I think the study covered happiness and depression, not judgment, intelligence or self-control. ;)

I hate to alarm you guys, but I am in my early 40's and don't feel depressed at all, maybe that fall I took on my head when I was 18 months old has helped........:)

Coming up on 65. Getting happier by the minute. Is the market up? Again??

Can't say that I was depressed in my 40's. But, definately happier now that ER is near. Looking forward to the dya when I start living for me and not the j*b.

Suspect that what some people that age feel is the realization that they aren't going to conquer the world. They may feel they are in a rut with no end in sight.

my unscientific theory is that these depressed middle agers were probably depressed or melancholic in their 20's etc, but that they were too busy drinking, partying, and having sex to realize it. By the time they're 40, too tired and worn out after working to do all those activities of their youth, and without other time occupying activities, they actualize depression.

Will my little buddy feel as healthy as a 20 year old? :)

Only with a blue pill or two popsickle sticks and a piece of twine.

You people are very fortunate. You have no idea how close you came to getting a picture of a weener with a gilligan hat on it.

Only with a blue pill or two popsickle sticks and a piece of twine.

You people are very fortunate. You have no idea how close you came to getting a picture of a weener with a gilligan hat on it.

I appreciate your restraint.

Back
Top Bottom