Stuff you don't see everyday

RobbieB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Like a couple of horses going down the street in front of your house.

31520856550_07d9e7f965_z.jpg

I guess it depends on where you live. :) I see horses around here everyday.

Actually saw someone riding their horse to the local Walmart about a month ago. Sorry no pictures of that, but it happens.

Last edited:
Last summer we heard music out front. We looked and the local marching band was giving the neighborhood a parade! Evidently they had raised more money in our neighborhood, so this was them giving a little back. It was nice. And you don't see that every day either.

Attachments

• Parade.jpg
    Parade.jpg
    505.6 KB · Views: 74
Give me a few weeks and I will show you a picture of horses wagons and tons of Cowboys and Cowgirls .........Rodeo time !

We have mounted police on the streets in summer--they come to my campus. Always cool to see them!

Back in 2013 we discovered that one of our neighbors has two gargoyles in his front yard. That's something you don't see every day! At least, we don't.

Attachments

• gargoyles.jpg
    gargoyles.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Gargoyle1cropt.jpg
    Gargoyle1cropt.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 78
  • Gargoyle2cropt.jpg
    Gargoyle2cropt.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 82
A home around here has one similar to the first one you showed.

Technically those are called chimeras or grotesques, although I think most of us today would simply call them all gargoyles. Gargoyles have a channel in them for use as a downspout from the gutters.

I hope that gargoyle doesn't intimidate the mail carrier.

I hope that gargoyle doesn't intimidate the mail carrier.

I don't think so! I have seen a magazine placed on the outstretched arms of the [-]gargoyle[/-], er, statue. So, I guess he's playing along with it.

Dictionary.com gives these two definitions for "gargoyle":
1. a grotesquely carved figure of a human or animal.
2. a spout, terminating in a grotesque representation of a human or animal figure with open mouth, projecting from the gutter of a building for throwing rain water clear of a building.

So, while braumeister was thinking of definition #2, my usage was according to definition #1.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on where you live. :) I see horses around here everyday.

Actually saw someone riding their horse to the local Walmart about a month ago. Sorry no pictures of that, but it happens.

We have mounted security guards at our mall and in the surrounding retail areas. I'm not sure how effective they are though.

First two I've seen here, so no I don't see turkey every day.

Attachments

• 1482788197002.jpg
    1482788197002.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 85
I live very close to the city and see turkeys frequently.
What I love is to catch them near sunset when they fly up into the trees to roost for the night. Most impressive.

In our old area I knew where they'd be, here I'm shocked when I come across wildlife.

I've seen them go to roost and that's impressive. I remember being out a half hour before sunrise waiting for deer season to open, flock of 20 came out of the roost. I thought there was a train in the woods.;)

I don't have any pictures, but I would take a side/rural road to work, and pass a nursery, and they had peacocks there. Once in a while you'd see one strutting alongside the road. Not a common site at all here in northern Illinois! The first time, it was a real double-take! Had only seen them in zoos.

Horses past our front door are not so unusual, we have a couple stables within a few miles.

-ERD50

Be thankful you didn't live near the big colorful pigeons. Loudest bird on the planet! Least pigeon tastes good.

Was in the little town of Nez Perce, Idaho (pop 466) having pizza for lunch. In walks a cowboy, wife and two kids. Tattooed everywhere, looked tough as nails. And that was the woman. They were riding thru town, looking for ranch work.

No big deal right?

They'd ridden into town with all their possessions in a prairie schooner style wagon pulled by their team of horses.

Freakin' kool!

We(and many others) saw this. Around 2000 a guy dressed as the western perception of Jesus walked with a cross on his back up 50 highway in MO. We were living west of Whiteman AFB outside KCMO. We saw him walking for 2 days, local article said he was walking coast to coast. Living with the aid of strangers across the country.

From our observations he had no support or aid. Just an image of Christ walking down the road. Never seen that before.

Speaking of turkeys, we have lots and lots of little creeks around the town where I live. And turkeys live near the creeks. Yesterday I saw about 30 - 40 turkeys walking down a street in a residential neighborhood. Not hurry, they were just walking slowly. Usually I see groups of 7 or less, so this was unusual.

When I was in college I woke up one morning, severely hung over, and saw a church steeple glide past my dorm room window. I briefly thought it was a sign that I should clean up my act, but luckily I looked more closely and saw that the church was on a trailer being moved to another location. So I went back to gaining experience.

Hind leftovers of a skinned and dressed deer in our driveway - last visit to the farm.

heh heh heh - lack of neatness. :mad: :mad: :nonono:

My truck.

Attachments

• 1482811282939.jpg
    1482811282939.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 51
Pix was long ago deleted....but...

About 7 years ago, our area experienced a 500 year flood/deluge. The holding pond in our neighborhood overflowed into the street and a neighbor boy caught a large bass using a laundry basket. The bass was swimming down the street.

My truck.

Beautiful!

Our yard backs to a 70 miles greenway that is a people and wildlife highway. We have seen horses, deer, coyotes, almost any kind of bird there is in the area (including a great blue heron that roosted in the dead tree behind the house), coyotes, etc. The elementary school is a few blocks away along the same greenway and a couple of years ago it was put on lockdown one day because a mountain lion was spotted prowling around behind the school.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom