StupidFilter

One way that it filters out stupid text is a scan for missing apostrophes.

I hope that it works and comes into use. I'll by the second generation one to put on my head and capture the stupid stuff before I say it.

See? The benefits are showing up already.

One of the early word processors I used had a feature where you could run a document through and it'd tell you what reading grade level the document was based on words used and structure. I found that by writing my customer proposals to a 9th grade level and my management proposals to a 7th grade level, I got my best results.

I think 7th grade would be a little optimistic, maybe 5th. The BOP would have to have the Ebonics version of that program O0

No lie, I actually had an Associate Warden call me in his office once to criticize me about my terrible writing skills. When I showed him every word he was questioning was in the dictionary AND in the correct context he ordered me never to write anything for him again that used words he did not know. :duh:

This doesn't go far enough. We need one that will demolish moronic ideas, as well as moronic expression.
Ha

I think this is great. In fact, I'd pay extra for a TV with this feature built in. I can just imagine looking at the channel guide with the "stupidity" filter turned on 100+ blanked out channels and 3 if we are lucky non stupid programs.

One of the early word processors I used had a feature where you could run a document through and it'd tell you what reading grade level the document was based on words used and structure. I found that by writing my customer proposals to a 9th grade level and my management proposals to a 7th grade level, I got my best results.

You can still do this on MS Word, as follows:

Display readability statistics
  1. On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Spelling & Grammar tab.
    Select the Check grammar with spelling check box.
    Select the Show readability statistics check box, and then click OK.
  2. Click Spelling and Grammar on the Standard toolbar. When Word finishes checking spelling and grammar, it displays information about the reading level of the document.
We use this all the time when writing patient education material and consent forms. The goal is to keep it no higher than Grade 8 if possible.

Back
Top Bottom