Suicide via Facebook

What's this "Facebook" thing I keep reading about?

Agree. I decided I cold never keep up with the convoluted privacy rules and frequent changes, so I deleted my account.

I lose some easy connectivity, but I feel more secure. It isn't just today that you must be concerned about, but what might be coming down the pike.

Ha

I used to have my face on Facebook...now it's the back of my head.

Got a creepy email, so I made the change. :dead:

Very little personal info about me is on that account. I don't post, but do enjoy looking at the pics of my friends.

...of course here, I'm closed mouthed as well...:angel:

It can be entertaining .... like the time one of the more junior members of my department posted that she was bored at work because she didn't have enough to do - a problem that was easily fixed :ROFLMAO:

Personally, the only thing I really get out of Facebook is tracking down a few old friends I'd lost contact with over the years.

A close friend owns her own business and does specialized recruiting. She has shared how employers are using facebook and linkedin to identify and filter prospective employees. People worry about national security efforts and their impact on privacy rights but the stuff some people put on facebook is unbelievable, and easily used to their own disadvantage without them ever knowing.

http://www.happyplace.com/4033/the-most-awkwardly-public-break-ups-in-facebook-history

I remember a few years ago some guys tried to raise awareness of oversharing with a website called Please Rob Me.
Please Rob Me

The idea was that the tweets, facebook updates, foursquare posts weren't just telling the world where you *were* - they were telling robbers where you weren't.... which is home.

But they took the site down when it seemed like robbers may have decided it wasn't just for awareness... but actually a good tool.

I've avoided facebook. I have linkedin - but it's strictly for work reasons and stays professional. And I don't tweet. I don't consider myself interesting enough to have people follow me on twitter.

A friend works as a PI - among other things doing candidate background checks on prospective employees. She is shocked by what she finds posted publicly - even for candidates for exec positions. People are stupid.

NBD. If you are dumb enough to post stuff you don't want people to see shame on you. If you are dumb enough to make everything on Facebook public double shame on you. To the extent that people use these sites sensibly they can be fun. To the extent they don't who really gives a sh** if they get embarrassed?

Keep in mind, our posts here are more public than FB.

Technically true with two caveats:

1) A lot more bots are crawling Facebook than bother to come here (and particularly for self-incriminating phrases);

2) Most of us have handles rather than our real name.

I'm sure I'm not that terribly difficult to figure out if anyone cared enough. But I'm also pretty sure they'd be disappointed in not getting any really juicy stuff. Nevertheless, point well taken. I posted stuff on Usenet as early as 1991 or so that is still archived on searchable servers, long before I knew that was possible.

I have no interest in Facebook. As Betty White said in her funny SNL monologue a few years ago, " didn’t know what Facebook was, and now that I do know what it is, I have to say, it sounds like a huge waste of time."

Same as my sentiments.

No interest in a cell phone, either. But that's for another thread LOL!

Facebook has been a huge boost at keeping in touch with our daughter. Two e-mails a semester just doesn't seem to be enough, but a FB post or two a week is nice. We can also share photos at our own pace instead of having to sit around the familyroom passing digital frames back & forth.

If FB did not exist, I'd still have [-]delusions[/-] illusions about high-school and college reunions. Now that I've gone through a couple dozen three-decade updates, I have no desire to go to reunions or do any more updates. And let's face it, some of us have not aged well. I'd rather remember their black & white senior portraits than see what they've turned themselves into.

Presumably FB has some value in marketing "The Military Guide". But the most useful social media marketing feedback has been blog comments and e-mails.

Just another handy tool I use to keep up with folks, and I love tinkering with the privacy settings, so no big time-waster for me. And well, I don't post anything I'd be embarrassed of, anywhere, here included. I'm easy enough to find.
I will say that social media like FB is invaluable for our dog rescue group, helping to match dogs and people far easier than just hoping someone would stumble on the website or search a pet adoption website like Petfinders. I love that aspect of it and the immediacy of news I might not read/hear about elsewhere.

Who needs Facebook when you have more than enough social media and entertainment on ERF:LOL:

Agree. I decided I cold never keep up with the convoluted privacy rules and frequent changes, so I deleted my account.

I can promise you it's still there waiting for you to change your mind or for some hacker to exploit ;)

donheff said:
NBD. If you are dumb enough to post stuff you don't want people to see shame on you. If you are dumb enough to make everything on Facebook public double shame on you. To the extent that people use these sites sensibly they can be fun. To the extent they don't who really gives a sh** if they get embarrassed?

And if someone believes making something private on Facebook makes it safer to post, think again.

Zuckerberg is not a fan of privacy.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/jan/11/facebook-privacy
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/29/zuckerberg-privacy-stance_n_556679.html

Facebook has a habit of diddling user privacy settings, and maybe informing users later. Or not...
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/...ibility-is-not-privacy-while-others-disagree/
http://epic.org/privacy/facebook/

Back
Top Bottom