Summer driving season?

dumpster56

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Kinda wonder about this. Sure people take vacations but people stop commuting to work school buses stop running. Quite frankly I think the media makes this stuff up.

If you read articles its like we will be using a bazillion more gallons of gasoline in the summer. Do We?

The Grand Canyon becomes a zoo during the summer. Zion used to until they banned traffic. The summer is the only time my sister and her kids can take vacations because of school. We are all going to Jamestown.

People stop commuting but drive all over creation, I'm going to SD with husband this year.

DW and I had planned a trip up the pacific coast. The cost of fuel was part of the reason why we decided on a more local vacation. But it was not the only reason.

Newguy,

I think you are forgetting a few things. First of all, most people work 12 months a year. So if someone goes on vacation, they will not commute to work but they will drive to their vacation destination which is probably farther away than their commute. For example say someone has a 30 mile round trip commute and goes on a 4 day vacation that is 400 miles round trip ( I assume the above are reasonable distances). That is 280 extra miles driven since he is on vacation instead of working. Second, even if a kid doesn't ride the school bus that doesn't mean they sit at home all day. They get driven to camp, friends' house, pool, or wherever. Just my $0.02.

I have a feeling that gasoline lines are in our future. One big hurricane in the gulf, a major refinery mess up. It will be ugly.

newguy888 said:
I have a feeling that gasoline lines are in our future. One big hurricane in the gulf, a major refinery mess up. It will be ugly.

Heck, there's lines now. Try going inside to pay (to get the $0.05 discount) or grab chips/drink/etc. When you come out, an SUV driver will be waving his fist at you because you didn't move your vehicle before you went in to pay.

-CC

Just see how many people drive from DC to Ocean City/Dewy Beach on the weekends, or how many NYers drive to the Jersey shore or the Hamptons, and it will all make perfect sense.

Karen - hates driving on I-95 in the summer because of this situation.

Seems like gas is always going up around Memorial Day, and it is usually inconvenient because usually I just HAPPEN to have a long trip in mind for that day. I don't plan it that way, but often that is what happens because of the long weekend.

Not so this year, although Frank is driving to Ohio for a week shortly.

rjpatt said:
Never heard of that discount. Is it common where you live?

A few of gas stations around here in SoCal give out a 5 cent discount if you use cash instead of credit. My credit card gives me 5% on gas purchases so I have no reason to use this.

rjpatt said:
Never heard of that discount. Is it common where you live?

Not "common", usually it's .03 if anything. I should've mentioned it's for cash. I just happened to have sniffed out this particular "deal". Mostly because they post it like a badge on their pumps.

-CC

Back
Top Bottom