Teacher Arrested for Sex with Student

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
Remember the thread about the 44 year old woman taking advantage of a 14 year old boy? Well, here's another one.

There are a lot of similarities to the other situation, but a few things are different.

- The boy is the "abuser's" student...he's 18
- The female is the boy's teacher and is 25...and is a former beauty contestant :eek:

img_397921_0_cc9cc7ebee52cdd6230e62d999c68dfe.jpg

Still, she's in deep trouble:

"A first-year Hebron High School teacher and former Miss Texas contestant faces up to 20 years in jail after an 18-year-old student told police he had sex with the 25-year-old woman several times at her apartment in Austin Ranch.

Amy McElhenney, who taught Spanish and was a cross-country coach at the Lewisville ISD school in Carrollton, is charged with having an improper relationship with a student, a second-degree felony. She was arrested on May 25, the last day of school, posted $5,000 bail and was released. "

This is the one that makes me wish that I was back in High school :p

Debbie Lafave - The Florida teacher! -

1122lafavein.jpg

Looks like a good reason to move to Florida.

I'm really going for the grand kids.

Cut-Throat said:
This is the one that makes me wish that I was back in High school :p

Debbie Lafave - The Florida teacher! -

I don't know, she looks kind of psychotic in that picture. Or maybe sociopathic. Whatever. If I had a son in high-school, I wouldn't want him mixed up with her. Heck, I wouldn't want an adult son involved with her.

Bpp

REWahoo! said:
"A first-year Hebron High School teacher and former Miss Texas contestant faces up to 20 years in jail after an 18-year-old student told police he had sex with the 25-year-old woman several times at her apartment in Austin Ranch.

Am I the only one wondering about these questions?

- What's an 18-year-old student still doing in high school?

- What charges are brought against a 25-year-old having sex with an 18-year-old? Or is this an issue of a teacher having authority over a student?

- What relation ship does the fact that she's a Miss Texas contestant have to do with the legal issue? Are Texas jails full of Miss Texas convicts?

Admittedly Hawaii just raised the age of consent from 14 to 16, and there's also a clause about age differences between "consenters".

Nords said:

Nope. I cannot imagine what the fuss is about. An 18 yr old is fully capable of making his/her own sexual decisions. Sheesh!

This never went on back in my H.S. days.  I doubt the female teachers were interested... and the male students sure weren't  :p :p :p :p :p

I'll put it this way... if the Mr. Yuck poison stickers would have been around back then, they could have been made into teacher ID cards!

Probably

- What's an 18-year-old student still doing in high school?

Seniors in high school who are on schedule are either 17 or 18.

- What charges are brought against a 25-year-old having sex with an 18-year-old? Or is this an issue of a teacher having authority over a student?

The second (the article said so).

- What relation ship does the fact that she's a Miss Texas contestant have to do with the legal issue? Are Texas jails full of Miss Texas convicts?

Why did you assume there was a relationship between those two things? Sometimes writers include interesting tidbits about people involved in things of this nature to tell you a little bit more about them.

Nords said:

An 18-year old still in high school? Well, I was 18 when I graduated. I lived in a school district where, if your birthday was past the cutoff date, you stayed out an extra year ...  It's also possible that the kid was held back a year.

Sounds like it is an issue of a teacher having authority over students .. here's a graph from another story...

McElhenney was charged under a law banning sexual relationships between educators and students even if the relationship is consensual and the student is of legal age.

boy if it happened to me you can bet i wouldnt a told anyone about it ha ha ha

Probably one of those "zero tolerance" laws forbidding sexual relationships between students and teachers that doesnt incorporate age.

mathjak107 said:
boy if it happened to me you can bet i wouldnt a told anyone about it  ha ha ha 
Yeah . . . but most 18 year olds could never keep their mouths shut. Once they bragged to all their friends and their friends told all their jealous enemies, they would be confronted by authorities. They would have to claim that they had lied about the whole thing to get out of it then. That's not something a bragging 18 year old would be likely to do.

20 years in jail:confused: How stupid is that:confused: Meanwhile child molesters can get out after 5-10 years? I love the law. :p :mad:

Should she be fired? Probably, but any punishment beyond that is overkill. I'm sorry, at 18 I was completely clear on what I wanted, it's the same thing I want today, and she wouldn't have to ask twice! :) The difference between 13-14 and 18 might as well be 20 years.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Probably one of those "zero tolerance" laws forbidding sexual relationships between students and teachers that doesnt incorporate age.

Very common where there is an assumed power-gap between the parties involved. A variant of the sexual harrassment concept where one uses his/her inherent authority to derive sexual favors, etc.

I have no problem with forbidding teachers to have sexual relations with their students - what a mess it would be otherwise.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Very  common where there is an assumed power-gap between the parties involved. A variant of the sexual harrassment concept where one uses his/her inherent authority to derive sexual favors, etc.

I have no problem with forbidding teachers to have sexual relations with their students - what a mess it would be otherwise.

Probably so, but there is the question of fitting the punishment to the gravity of the offense. Plenty people who have killed don't get any 20 years.

Several women students in my high school had sex with a popular teacher. (This is not heresay, these wre friends of mine who directly told me.)They went on to universities where they did what lots of other attractive young women did at that time- had sex with their professors.

Now they are judges, lawyers, doctors, professors, etc., and still seem to be unharmed by their habit of sexual fraternization. In fact, it may have eased their passages.

As for power gaps, some nerdy 35 year old prof who can hardly pay his bills, whose wife is getting fed up with his ass, whose kids need more and more of everything- looks to me like he needs that attractive student shoring him up more than she needs him to give her a better grade.

JMHO, of course!

Ha

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Very  common where there is an assumed power-gap between the parties involved. A variant of the sexual harrassment concept where one uses his/her inherent authority to derive sexual favors, etc.

I don't disagree with "firing" of the teacher for violating policy. But that is as far as it should go. Anything else is the result of zealots who want to make a name for themselves in some way.

HaHa said:
Now they are judges, lawyers, doctors, professors, etc., and still seem to be unharmed by their habit of sexual fraternization. In fact, it may have eased their passages.
C'mon, Mikey, have mercy! This is the most flagrant case I've ever seen of a non sequitur begging to be "inserted", so to speak...

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Very common where there is an assumed power-gap between the parties involved.

I want to know more about these power gaps! Where can I buy one? Would my wife like it? Just how does it fit "between the parties involved"? Do you have any jpegs you can post? :D

Nords said:
C'mon, Mikey, have mercy! This is the most flagrant case I've ever seen of a non sequitur begging to be "inserted", so to speak...

Yep, not touching it.

You boys have dirty minds. I didn't intend that allusion any more than James Joyce intended all the crap they say is in Finnegan's Wake.

Sometimes something is just what appears on the surface.  :)

Ha

HaHa said:
I didn't intend that allusion any more than James Joyce intended all the crap they say is in Finnegan's Wake.

But Joyce did intend all that crap, he even intended people to find crap which he hadn't put in, which means you...

Bpp

bpp said:
But Joyce did intend all that crap, he even intended people to find crap which he hadn't put in, which means you...
Naw, his editor "inserted" that too...

HaHa said:
Sometimes something is just what appears on the surface. :)

"sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" -- attributed to Sigmund Freud

Rich_in_Tampa said:

aka: quid pro quo

the other form of sexual harassment officially recognized by the courts is "hostile work environment."

The issue of authority making an otherwise "normal" sexual relationship illegal is very common.  For example, in the case of a psychologist/psychiatrist and their patient, it is considered FIRST DEGREE rape in many jurisdictions which is often a capital offence.

On a personal note, these stories are making my eyes green!  I wish I had teachers like that in high school ;)

*sigh*

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:

Damn, I learned a lot from members of this board. Does that mean I can't have sex with anybody on this board?

Back
Top Bottom