Text Message Madness

I love texting-easier and quicker!

It seems like I am constantly deleting messages on e-mail asking for a survey. If I ever got a survey request asking for "positive" feedback I'd be quick to call that company and complain.

I am not sure if they still do it, but when you would send a text on a Sprint phone to a landline, they would do a "text to speech" message and call the number. I had inadvertently texted my MIL's home phone and they all went to her answering machine.

I didnt get that, i didnt even get a missed call.

I guess I'm an exception to most on this thread, I absolutely love texting, I hate using the phone. Texting is short, sweet and to the point.

Oh yeah, my SIL "voice (to) text" entire paragraphs at a time. Drives me nuts. Punctuation is a mess.

(well, I guess it's better than having her call me) :D

It seems like I am constantly deleting messages on e-mail asking for a survey. If I ever got a survey request asking for "positive" feedback I'd be quick to call that company and complain.

The simple solution to all randomly sent surveys to answer them with all negatives. :LOL:

I haven't gotten that, but I HAVE gotten requests on the order of, "if you're dissatisfied in any way, if there's anything we can do, please let us know.." I can see why they don't want customers being silent and then venting on an on-line review site.

I ignore survey requests unless they offer me something in return- loyalty points for a hotel or an airline, for example. I'll contribute to TripAdvisor and e-Rewards because something is in it for me- in the case of TripAdvisor, a very useful reference for planning my own travel, and, in the case of e-Rewards, funny money I can turn into Hilton points.

+1

A text is not as intrusive as a phone call. For a quick question or comment, texting is the preferred method among my immediate family. The DDs and I text multiple times/week, usually nothing too important but just a quick way to let each other know we are thinking of them.

+2. Although I don't like texts from sources such as was outlined in the OP. Otherwise texting is wonderful.

I guess I'm an exception to most on this thread, I absolutely love texting, I hate using the phone. Texting is short, sweet and to the point.

I love texting, too. I don't talk a lot on the phone so it's a great way to keep in touch with people, and it allows people to reply when it's convenient. Group texts are also great...one of my bands does most of its rehearsal scheduling via text.

The trouble with ignoring surveys is that "reminders" keep coming. I was traveling last week and this week got surveys from the airlines, hotel, a restaurant, a taxi, and other services I used. Everybody and their grandmother needs feedback these days.
After the third or fourth reminder, I did answer one survey with all negatives. It went on and on, and took me a full 5 minutes--outrageous. At the end I explained in the comments box that it was 100 per cent negative due to their absolute insistence that I fill it out and return it. I hate doing stuff like that but enough is enough.

I have never texted, tweeted, snap-chatted or instagrammed. And, given that I have no cell phone and no plans to obtain one, it's likely I never will.

I like texting for quick questions or messages, or just keeping in touch. Also great for sharing photos. My nephew tried to teach me Snapchat. He loves it and it is sort of cool, but I don't use it enough to have learned much about the various features and how to use them. No tweeting, Instagram or even Facebook for me. Gotta draw the line somewhere!

The annoying sequence of texts that the OP received from the car dealer would have been even more annoying if it had been an annoying sequence of phone calls. Even worse would have been what I got when car shopping - texts, e-mails, and phone calls, all saying the same thing.

Was texting with a window shade dealer. He had asked if I received the quote, I texted back that I had not received anything. This was his reply: "I'm in underwear txting quote." UGH.

Agree. Effective means to communicate with friends and family. I just don't do long chats. I've never received business texts with the exception of the drug store and those are ok.

Same here, but it is VERY hard to explain to people (even friends and family) that we pay by the text and by the minute, so please don;t include us on group texts that go on and on and on until everyone has added their comments or approvals :) Most of our friends and family think we are hailing from the last century - some are too young to even know that there are cellphone plans that are not "unlimited everything" :LOL:

The issue is they all think paying $70/month for cell phone services is normal :facepalm:

Many years ago (at least ten) I started getting emails from people who thought they were contacting a small business owner in Canada. His email address is the same as mine, with one letter different. They were usually things like contracts, progress reports from contractors, etc.

At first I tried forwarding them to him with an explanation, but they kept coming. So I contacted him directly and asked him to be sure his contacts were using his address, not mine.

His response was "Don't worry about it, just delete them. If they're that sloppy I don't want their business."

I'm still getting (and deleting) them now and then. :facepalm:
I had a similar situation and started replying that he no longer works here. Problem was totally solved in a week.

I rarely just pick up the phone and call someone anymore unless it's an emergency or extremely time sensitive. Even if I just want to chat with my brother, I'll first send him a text or email and say, hey let's catch-up, you got time for a call? If it's just a quick message or question, text is preferable because each party can respond when it's convenient.

I get very few if any commercial texts. I do get some email requests to fill out surveys and such. I don't mind it. If I have something to communicate, I'll do the survey. If not, I just ignore it and move on. Completely harmless IMHO.

I rarely just pick up the phone and call someone anymore unless it's an emergency or extremely time sensitive. Even if I just want to chat with my brother, I'll first send him a text or email and say, hey let's catch-up, you got time for a call? If it's just a quick message or question, text is preferable because each party can respond when it's convenient.

Some of my friends run their own businesses and are very busy, so a text is often the most convenient way to send a short message. If I need to talk to one of them, I will send them a text and ask them to call me when they have a couple minutes.

Some of my friends run their own businesses and are very busy, so a text is often the most convenient way to send a short message. If I need to talk to one of them, I will send them a text and ask them to call me when they have a couple minutes.

this. Our dispatcher uses text all day long for jobs called in. Much easier than trying to transcribe what you are hearing (as you drive) an address. Now i just say I'm driving can you text that address? Works great. Then at the end of the day our dispatcher can scroll through and put his schedule together

Mrs scrapr called the other day as i was entering in payroll. You do not want to mess up payroll! So i pull off as we chit chat about dogs, family and other important stuff. I wish she would make an appointment to chit chat w/me :D

Agree with others that text is less intrusive, quicker and more convenient.

DH and I talk to our parents about once a week. Our children text us much much more. Last night, DS texted us about his soccer game. He plays in a rec league after work. After working all day, playing soccer into the night, he would never call to tell us about it but he would take a few seconds to text us. We watched his every game when he was growing up. Now that he lives about an hour away, it is so nice to be in touch for such daily lives that is not important enough for a call :D

DS: Star forward scored a hat trick but wasn't enough
Me: You didn't help
DS: I was like 0-5 shooting haha

My cousin just learned to text so she can be in touch with her grandchildren often :D

Never texted before the kids had smartphones.

Texts are just so darned convenient...I've come to prefer them over an actual call.

Same here, but it is VERY hard to explain to people (even friends and family) that we pay by the text and by the minute, so please don;t include us on group texts that go on and on and on until everyone has added their comments or approvals :) Most of our friends and family think we are hailing from the last century - some are too young to even know that there are cellphone plans that are not "unlimited everything" :LOL:

Have you considered just giving them the info on how to contact you on your (likely) preferred method of communication, telegraph? ;)

Back
Top Bottom