Thank You for Running a Clean Forum

A big +1.

This forum sets the standard for me. There are a number of others that I frequent, which I very much wish were moderated as well as this one. Somehow, the mods keep everyone and everything on track, without also purging the humor.

Fantastico!

It's a welcome relief, for sure. The internet is full of well...we all know and if you spent more than 10 minutes a day in the "depths" of it, you could become clinically depressed. Several years ago, I frequented City Data but haven't been on there in a long time. Well, I took a quick visit yesterday just to "see what's going on" and wow...it's absolutely terrible. I don't think there is ANY moderation on there. So, thanks to everyone here for making it a truly interesting place on the interweb. :flowers:

The only un-moderated "forum" I take part in, is the Washington Post comments section. And only on non-political stories.
I actually have a little "following" by fellow commenters on some of the softer features, where the commenters are mostly civil, often funny, and chase trolls away quickly.
I absolutely cannot take the vicious political stuff, which tries to insert itself even into the most anodyne stories of rescued pets, etc.
My other Internet activity is on a couple of well-moderated hobby sites, where we mostly tell each other how wonderful their work is :)

...Now I would like to know are all the mods that are now termed "Moderator Emeritus" actually retired from mod duties or are they just trying to lull us into a false sense of security:D

Yes- to the first part. Retired from mod duties. I enjoyed working with the mod team - great group of people.

As to lulling members into a false sense of security - I don't think so - the current mod team doing a fine job on its own.

Last edited:
In other words, the forum isn’t allowed to reflect reality, and that is considered a good thing?

Reality? My idea of offensive might not equal yours and visa versa. That's all I am saying :)

We create our own reality here, thank you very much! We don’t have to be like everyone else. What’s the point of that?!?

I make sure my personal life is free of most of the nasty crap too. If this forum weren’t reasonably civil I wouldn’t be here either.

+1 my wife and I are continually evaluating our social contacts. We have had some real experiences since ER

Good thing there is some wiggle room with extreme sarcasm.

A thumbs up! This is a great forum to visit to avoid the crazy news in the world these days.

DW claims I am sarcastic a lot of the time: Guilty.

I do not follow any other social media streams with any regularity. I do occasionally look at DW's Facebook page.

This place is Sooo far better than anything I have seen.

The Mods do a great job, and I think the posters follow that lead. We may, occasionally, get out of line, but I think most here try to follow the basic premise of civility. :dance:

I would have agreed with the OP 100% just a few days ago, but an old time poster on here took it too far recently, but not far enough for the mods, so in that case we still have the power of the block option which I had to use for the first time.

"In other words, the forum isn’t allowed to reflect reality, and that is considered a good thing?"

I have always had trouble with reality, myself.🥴

What I like about this forum is that it is centered around a topic that forum members people are encouraging each other to achieve and maintain, regardless of differences in backgrounds or beliefs.

Yes, I'll chime in and volunteer that I'm completely retired from mod duties. I do report occasional offending posts that I think might need some attention, though! Just like any member can or might do. Just use the little triangular white and red "!" icon at the lower left of the post, to do this most effectively. That is helpful to the mod team since despite mod superpowers, no mod can read and evaluate as many posts as we have on this forum IMO.

But I no longer go "behind the scenes" and actually do work as a moderator. Ten years of that was enough and I don't want to devote that much time to it any more, although I admit it was fun and every member of the mod team was great to work with. Good people, good times.

W2R, All past and present mods are great, but I must say you are my all time favorite. Also, the example you set in making consistent civil posts is commendable. That said, I hope this storm/cyclone/hurricane does not become a problem for NOLA as the rainfall may appears horrendous. Stay safe and dry!

I would have agreed with the OP 100% just a few days ago, but an old time poster on here took it too far recently, but not far enough for the mods, so in that case we still have the power of the block option which I had to use for the first time.

My block of choice is a mental block. If somebody repeatedly shows me they do not think things through or they seem to have a hidden agenda, I simply place no value on their comments. I am sure some people have probably done that to me, also. I guess that makes me a block-head at times. What else is new?

I would rather the mods let some occasional 'poor choice' of words slip through than start hitting the reject button to often and to early. Overall, they seem to have hit a good balance.

My block of choice is a mental block. If somebody repeatedly shows me they do not think things through or they seem to have a hidden agenda, I simply place no value on their comments. I am sure some people have probably done that to me, also. I guess that makes me a block-head at times. What else is new?

I would rather the mods let some occasional 'poor choice' of words slip through than start hitting the reject button to often and to early. Overall, they seem to have hit a good balance.

+1 to all of this. Some of us (myself included) are such selective and sensitive souls, that we cannot realistically expect the mods to shield us from all that would offend our sensibilities. That said, I can think of very few long-term contributors that have bugged me. The short-term ones either are so far out of left field that they get themselves banned, or decide for themselves that we are too dull for them, and leave of their own volition.

The perils of breaking off diplomatic relations

If anybody has me on block, I'd ask them what I did to p!$$ them off. But they won't see my question because I'm on block!

If anybody has me on block, I'd ask them what I did to p!$$ them off. But they won't see my question because I'm on block!

You would see they posted, but it says that you have them blocked.

W2R, All past and present mods are great, but I must say you are my all time favorite. Also, the example you set in making consistent civil posts is commendable. That said, I hope this storm/cyclone/hurricane does not become a problem for NOLA as the rainfall may appears horrendous. Stay safe and dry!

Aw, thank you so much!!! Don't worry, we'll be fine. Probably. :ROFLMAO:

The irony is that the "blockable" folks tend to make the same types of offending posts over and over, presumably in order to offend the very type of person who blocks them! :LOL: I have tested this theory by unblocking my one or two blocked posters, just to see if they have gotten off their hobbyhorses yet. Nope - same "point" being made, yet again, maybe in slightly different words but always the same.

You would see they posted, but it says that you have them blocked.

That only happens if you have someone on ignore (aka blocked), not if someone is ignoring you. I don't believe there is a way to see which members have you on ignore.

I wonder if the use of the :popcorn:emoticon is negatively correlated with length of ignore list; there might be a few posters that I find disagreeable sometimes, but the expense of "hearing" less than full conversation has left me with an empty ignore list (I think).

Many people on this forum are damaged enough goods- from too long in any given high stress job. I know I appreciate our Mods for keeping it to the standards they do. It's good to have a safe place!

ER is the only social media I participate in. As a w*rking stiff for a while longer, I monitor Linked-In occasionally, though I never post there, because it is an Internet Planet of Utter BS where all of the inhabitants are SO HAPPY AND FIRED UP ABOUT WORK! “Woohoo! I might need someone on this site to hire my lazy butt someday so I’m going curate my abundant humble-brag posts to appear to be the happiest wage slave in your feed, even though I spend so much time on Linked-In I obviously have no time left to do any real work!” Anyway, ER is cool and I learn a lot, so thanks.

ER is the only social media I participate in. As a w*rking stiff for a while longer, I monitor Linked-In occasionally, though I never post there, because it is an Internet Planet of Utter BS where all of the inhabitants are SO HAPPY AND FIRED UP ABOUT WORK! “Woohoo! I might need someone on this site to hire my lazy butt someday so I’m going curate my abundant humble-brag posts to appear to be the happiest wage slave in your feed, even though I spend so much time on Linked-In I obviously have no time left to do any real work!” Anyway, ER is cool and I learn a lot, so thanks.

A trenchant analysis of the Linked-In world.

Back
Top Bottom