Why in the world would you post to (eeeuw) a discussion board?!?

Nords said:
I can't seem to skip any of them...  That's costing me a couple hours a day

Obviously an Emily Wood graduate because I seem to spend a couple hours and maybe get through half..!  :)

First I was a lurker because I was just soaking up all the ER financial strategy stuff. Nothing much to add as there always seemed to be someone who'd already done the hard work for me (thanks, guys!  :D).

I ended up posting because (mainly) I'm kind of an opinionated loudmouth and I couldn't control wanting to respond..

Secondly, because I miss having discussions in literate English.

Thirdly, because unlike most boards the members here are really more intelligent than average but generally without being too nerdy/bratty/arrogant; I find myself actually caring what people have to say, whether I post in a thread or not. You come from a variety of backgrounds bringing a collective wisdom that I just find addictive. Every day I learn something new or get a new perspective on something I hadn't thought about. Also, just a great mix of tolerance, lack of PC fascism, good natured sarcasm.. wish I could go to a local pub and hang out with friends face-to-face, but this is the next best thing.
A toast to the ER Forum!

I think it was Samuel Clemens who apologized for writing such a long letter because he didn't have enough time to make it shorter.

I remember this one to be from Abe Lincoln, but who's counting? Mark Twain is plenty good enough for me. ;)

I come here becase there is an interesting cast of characters and I learn something new every day. And where else would I find a community of people who think that ER isn't somehow sinful or unMerkin?

I'm here for the "infotainment," the appealing mix of information, humor, facts and factoids, good writing, good thinking, and good support--and, OK, a little drama occasionally. I got addicted...sucked in...it's an amazing reality show, with terrific writers and cast, and a great sense of community. This is one of the many things the internet does well, and I think it's a fine use of my personal bandwidth. I post to feel more a part of the community than I would as a lurker.

I've grown up on the internet, starting in college when I almost flunked out from skipping class in order to MUD. I met my husband online. I'm very comfortable online and participate in 2 boards regularly and I visit a few others on occasion. The people here are very real, funny, and quick to call bull**** when they see it. I like that. I have learned a ton from you all, even if I never get to ER. In real life I get along better with folks who are older than me and most of my close friends are male -- I think that's why I like it here.

I plan to meet my online friends from another board in October and I'm looking forward to it, although I typically don't try to meet the people I know online. In discussion, I often say, "I know a guy who...." and then my husband or mother will ask, "Is this a real friend or an online friend?"

Oh, and I think Ha is cute. ;)

Nords said:
Many of my family & neighbors don't understand the concept of posting to a discussion board.  They think it's something done by losers loners who can't handle actual human contact or who have nothing better to do all day.

People tend to hang out with people who have similar interests, which is not not entirely surprising ;) . If your interests are commonplace, then you can find lots of people to discuss them with locally. But what can you do if you are the only person you know who is interested in the Old Prussian language, Early Retirement or something equally obscure? Well, fear not, the Internet makes it easy to find other people who share your interests, no matter how rare or bizarre they may be.

why do you post here?

I assume different people will have different reasons. I am interested in LBYM and various ER tricks and pitfalls, e.g. 401k-to-Roth conversions, RMDs, and 72t, which I wasn't familiar with until I read about them here. I also find different ER choices and lifestyles (travel, living abroad, relocation, etc) fascinating, which is another reason why I am here. Finally, people who retire early seem to be an inquisitive and do-it-yourself bunch, so you pick up useful tips on everything from ant control to end of life situations along the way.

On the other hand, I am not that interested in investments, which a lot of folks here are heavily into. And Internet discussions of public policy issues (not to mention politics and religion) are rarely worth it. Still, it's a fun and relaxing board most of the time, and if I can contribute something useful from time to time, so much the better  8)

This is the only forum that I frequent. I wish I had found it sooner - I found out about it when I read ESRBobs book 3 months ago. After doing some research on past treads, I was compelled to retire now - not later. I had never had a person/group that understood my plan to get the hell out of the BS megacorp - everyone seemed to think of work as a necessary evil to drive a heavy consumption lifestyle.
I would still be at work if it had not been from the info I got on this forum...I have been free for 6 weeks - it just keeps getting better. I have been spending alot of time with family - started fishing again - camping trips to Tahoe and am considering a kayak(pretty common here) - The forum/FIRECAL helped me grow the balls to make the jump.

TargaDave said:
Most of all I'm still waiting to see pic's of Nords in surfing action
Sorry, still working on it.

Let's just say that I've learned not to let the kid into the surf until after I've downloaded all the vacation pix from the memory card.

And now we don't delete ANYTHING anymore until we're on dry land...

larry said:
I post here because I've found a like-minded group of people.  This is also one of the best diversified boards I've found.  The spectrum runs from wannabes to alreadybeens. 

This is also one of the best boards to post a problem and get answers from a smart bunch of people.  I've appreciated 99% of the posters and their willingness to help.

I too was a lurker for quite a while and am always learning from the great group of people here, keep it up folks.

Yep, got it in one.

I'm also a member of a writer's discussion board and lurk at one or two other boards devoted to other interests.

Many of you have hit on my reasons: A lot of wisdom, funny posts, good ideas, etc.

But something I often ask myself is: am I posting just to show how funny or clever I am? I have to admit that sometimes the answer is "yes," although I don't do it consciously. Often I write out a post, then read it and decide it doesn't really contribute, but is just showing off. Then I post it anyway. Ha ha, no, I then delete it.

But that's too much analysis -- where's that damn beaver?

Nords said:
Sorry, still working on it.

Let's just say that I've learned not to let the kid into the surf until after I've downloaded all the vacation pix from the memory card. 

And now we don't delete ANYTHING anymore until we're on dry land...

I hear JG's ex wife knows how to upload photos...  :p

Donzo said:
I would still be at work if it had not been from the info I got on this forum
Cool! Similar story here. I was a long-time lurker before I retired--and posted my "Hi, I am..." I think on the same day(!). If it hadn't been for all y'all, I might've dragged along awhile longer, feeling unhappy and not sure if it was just the need to ER <it was->, I was becoming depressed, or something else was wrong. And almost immediately my brother needed my support while he was hospitalized, confirming my decision.

T-Al, I also delete posts-in-progress often, including twice on thread. Not that the one I ended up posting is necessarily any better than the earlier attempts :LOL:

Oh--and yes, you are clever and funny :)

TromboneAl said:
But something I often ask myself is: am I posting just to show how funny or clever I am? I have to admit that sometimes the answer is "yes," although I don't do it consciously.

What's wrong with that? I enjoy your posts for both information as well as entertainment value.

HFWR said:
I hear JG's ex wife knows how to upload photos...  :p
Ouch!

Hey, I'm not proud of myself, I set our kid up for failure like an alley full of bowling pins.  But we all learned that when you get back from vacation it's probably more important to download the photos than it is to get caught up on the old mail...

astromeria said:
I'm here for the "infotainment," the appealing mix of information, humor, facts and factoids, good writing, good thinking, and good support--and, OK, a little drama occasionally.

That pretty much sums it up...."infotainment" ;)

TargaDave said:
. . .or SGEEE's intense weekly workout routine combined with his weekly 34 glasses of wine!) . . .

It's only ~ 21 glasses. I got a bigger glass. :D

I sometimes participate in a forum about motorhomes.  I don't like it near as much as this one.  The culture here fits me better.  Now I only go there if I have a specific issue or question.

Nords, I am like you in that I must read.  Cereal boxes.  Junk mail.  Anything.  This board became addictive.  Not only interesting reading but I could participate in coversation.   TH/CFB has said about himself that his switch if either on or off.  I am that way about this board.  I can't seem to drop in once in a while, read a few posts, respond to what is interesting, and move on.  I still read nearly every post.  Even the ones talking about putting a replacement engine in a car, and I am not ever going to be doing that.  :)  

Will I ever get over it and stop posting?  I don't see my habits changing at this point.  I'd miss you all--many of you feel like friends.  That may be a problem for me.  I end up missing people when they leave:  Bob Smith in Iowa and Trumpeting Angel have been gone for some time.  I miss them.  :-\  As Nords said, this is the best board for answering questions and solving problems.  I like the good thought out answers people give.  I like the immediate smart ass comments when people take themselves too seriously.  I like talking about my favorite subject: health care reform.  I like jumping on the tax questions before retire@40 or LOL can get to it.   :) The tax code is like a jig saw puzzle.  Kind of fun to play with the pieces. I like to hear the perspective of the young dreamers; I am not around enough young people who feel free to speak their mind.  I also like hearing the perspective of those who have been in ER for a good amount of time.

But during the next election I will probably talk politics when I know I shouldn't. :-[

Wab may be right that revolution is good every once in a while.  It will be interesting to what this place is like a couple of years from now.

yelnad said:
Oh, and I think Ha is cute.  ;)

¡Igualmente Chica!

Additionally, I am male and older  8)

Ha

I post for the intellectual stimulation of varied opinions and the anonymity a forum like this provides.

wab said:
segfault, have you noticed a new guy named h-o-c-u-s posting at the VD board?

Well, the Greaney board was sort of his asylum.  His containment area.   He escaped.

BTW, with a handle like "segfault," is it safe to assume you're a unix weenie?

I have seen the "Greaney" board before, just hadn't seen it referred to by that name.

h-o-c-u-s has managed to alienate quite a few posters on the VD board, his last big idea generated 700 replies (so far).

I am an ex-computer programmer, soon to be lawyer (in a year or so). I hope that my career as a lawyer doesn't meet the same demise as h-o-c-u-s. I used to read Leonard Richardson's parody news site "Segfault.org" during its heyday, so I started using the handle. I still occasionally practice my UNIX skills on my PowerBook. :D

I'm a daily lurker and an occasional poster....I love to read and reserach. I generally post to ask questions because I am still learning and there is a wealth of diverse information on this board... :)
I ended up here because I believe in the dream of early retirement and don't know anyone (other than my spouse, whom I've converted) who does. I couldn't find the information and support that I need to make it happen in my circle of friends and family... :-\
I enjoy all the diverse discussion, great tips, funny exchanges, and unique pesonalities that make this board one of the best I've seen...keep up the good work folks!!! :LOL:

Adventuregirl

HaHa said:
¡Igualmente Chica!

Additionally, I am male and older 8)

Ha

Of course he's cute, haven't you read? He looks like Alfred E. Neuman

Scrooge said:
...so you pick up useful tips on everything from ant control to end of life situations along the way.

I am glad my infestation provided such a useful service... :D

I found the forum through a Businessweek article.  I got here and found that this place provided a philosophy to what I had in my head but wasn't completely able to articulate.  Thank you very much for that.

I also appreciate the folks here who allow me to satisfy some of my nerdier curiosites.  Some of the things I enjoy are not widely shared in the circles I frequent.

Back
Top Bottom