Thanksgiving Dinner for two

I had planned to cook dinner for friends we've been bubbled with (weird new verb) and host at my house but with our rew regs this is no longer allowed. I can live with that BUT I have already purchased 2 14 lb turkeys (frozen). That seems like a lot of turkey but traditionally we have cooked both of them and everyone takes substantial leftovers home. They make soup, pot pies, sandwiches, etc.

I was super organized this year and layed in the birds, a bag of sweet potatoes and the stuffing ingredients early... sigh. On the bright side I also purchased some especially nice wines to go with... more for me ;)

Been cooking for 2 for years now. Turkey breast, smoked in the egg with mashed potatoes & gravy, veggie of choice, done. Followed by hot turkey sammies and my fav turkey & bacon clubs for the days after.

Easy.

These great plans are starting to make me hungry.

Dressing is a particiular favorite of mine for holidays.

Cooked in the bird, then overflow in casserole dish.

How do you do it?

For two people, I've just got two words:

Cracker Barrel

Recipes from where I grew up that tastes exactly like what my grandmother cooked. We eat "dressing" in the south--never stuffing.

and don't forget the dirty rice!

We’ve ordered 2# smoked turkey breast, 1 qt mashed potatoes, 1 qt broccoli casserole and 1 pt cranberry-apple compote from a fav BBQ restaurant nearby. DW will make a dessert, I’ll chill & pour champagne. A sad year, but giving thanks anyway, next year will be much better!

It will be just two, or perhaps 3, of us. Thinking of trying a Marcella Hazan recipe of a whole, boned chicken with a beef and parmesan stuffing.

We are going to DD's house as she is cooking a 14 lb bird. Her MIL will join us. I am bringing pumpkin pie. Easy this year!

Oh, the order! We got a whole turkey, cornbread stuffing, sweet glazed carrots, green beans, bacon mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, extra gravy, and bread pudding with Grand Marnier sauce! :-9

Anyone tried a turkey in an instant pot (pressure cooked or air fried)? Got 12 pounder. Not sure if it will even fit.

It's a work in progress for us.

We have done T-Day (and Christmas, and Easter, and a bunch of other holidays/birthdays) for DW's side of the family for many years now ( ~ 20 people). Planned on cutting that down this year to just us and the kids, their spouses, and g-kids. DD has a 3 year old and a 3 week old, so she offered to have it so they don't need to pack up everything and drive both ways.

So we will figure out what we can cook ahead and bring and what she can/wants to make. Her hubby likes to smoke stuff, so this might work out well.

Our son and his wife and kid (our g-kid) will probably go to her folks, since this is all in opposite directions. Our other DD is the COVID floor nurse, so she might stay isolated form us even if she has the day off. She's nearby to the party, so she might stop by and stay outside so we can at least say "Hi!".

It's all kind of weird, but we will manage, it'll be OK.

-ERD50

I'm staying in. Only "traveling and gathering" I'd do is via Zoom.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Not worth the risk of either infecting someone or getting infected myself. In other words, live to celebrate holidays another day.

Got a turkey drumstick waiting for me in the freezer :cool:.

If I can find some Alaskan King Crab, that's what I'm having this year. It'll make me feel good that I won't have to share, taking the sting out of sheltering in place.

Gardein Stuffed Tur'ky with gravy, acorn squash with lots of butter (no vegans here), mixed green salad, homemade key lime pie with whipped cream. The traditional Thanksgiving dessert in my family is Indian pudding - cornmeal, molasses, butter & spices cooked with whole milk. But it's just we two, and we haven't had a homemade key lime pie in years.

It’s just me and the cat, but I’m not sad about it. Quite the contrary, I’m looking forward to a few days off. Normally if I’m by myself and not invited elsewhere on Thanksgiving (wouldn’t go this year even if I had been invited), I just eat normal everyday food. But for some reason, I’m feeling nostalgic for the traditional T-giving spread.

Because I don’t have the interest in cooking a giant meal for one, I ordered a turkey breast meal from one of the two grocery chains in the area. I chose the chain that is higher end and has good prepared food. I got the turkey breast meal; it comes with your choice of sides, rolls, and gravy. I got the mashed potatoes and dressing. It comes with a pound and a half of turkey and supposedly serves four so I thought I could pig out and still have enough for leftovers for a meal or two.

We decided the theme for this year was “laid back” so we are planning either smoked brisket or prime rib, baked potatoes, roasted veggie mix ( broccoli, carrots, beets, onions) and a homemade lemon cheesecake with cranberry glaze.

I’ll miss the open-faced turkey sandwiches from leftovers but try to console myself with some sort of French dip instead...

You all are making me hungry!!!

I will probably be alone, but I like cooking and eating my cooking. The couple of friends I've had over have raved about my cooking (and eaten three helpings!), So I'm looking forward to my meal.

It will be traditional with a few twists: brined roasted turkey breast with a bit of Morrocan lemon flavoring; mashed potatoes; dressing (out of box, alas); home made gravy; either roasted broccoli with walnuts or roasted brussel sprouts with onion and bacon; a savory pumpkin tart/pie; and a home made regular pumpkin pie with fresh whipped cream (looking at souffle like recipe with whipped egg base). Best part will be lots of leftovers. Will probably also have a few glasses on champagne.

Hope to ski on Sunday-probability is low due to German restrictions and not enough snow....

Last year weather prevented us from traveling at the last minute so we pulled a lasagna out of the freezer. Our DS and DIL also cancelled travel and joined us. We all enjoyed the meal so we're hitting the repeat button again this year.

We decided the theme for this year was “laid back” so we are planning either smoked brisket or prime rib, baked potatoes, roasted veggie mix ( broccoli, carrots, beets, onions) and a homemade lemon cheesecake with cranberry glaze.

I’ll miss the open-faced turkey sandwiches from leftovers but try to console myself with some sort of French dip instead...

That's my idea of laid back...

Anyone tried a turkey in an instant pot (pressure cooked or air fried)? Got 12 pounder. Not sure if it will even fit.

I think 12 lbs is going to be too big. If you really want to use the Instant Pot, you could break the turkey down into parts and cook it in two batches.

It may be just me, the pup, and kitty this year.
I'll still stuff a turkey and mash some taters.
Won't bother with the squash or broccoli casseroles.
I was going to do a FriendsGiving dinner this Friday but the recent Covid surge and cold weather have killed that plan.

Just the two of us, first time ever. So I have a nice bottle of wine, turkey breast roast with potatoes, gravy, stuffing and green bean casserole. I am going to make pumpkin pie and lemon cake for dessert. I will take dessert over to my Mom later in the day.

Last year I smoked a turkey breast for us even though we later joined a group for a meal. It came out so great that I plan to do it again this year. I smoked another this summer, so I didn’t wait until Thanksgiving for a repeat.

There's nothing better than smoked turkey with a delicious zinfandel wine. One of my very favorite tastes of all time. No sides necessary. Ha!

Well, it will just be DH and I, but I am making a large meal and will take servings over to DS and DD houses.
I already bought ingredients a few weeks ago, just a change in gathering plans.

Menu:
12 lb turkey
Sage and apple Dressing
Sweet potatoe
Mashed potatoe
Gravy
Apple salad
Pumpkin and Pecan pie

Hmm, I'm skipping the apples in my stuffing this year but love the thought of "apple salad". Would you care to share the recipe?

Complete dinners from a local restaurant (curbside pickup) this year. No need to make 2020 any more complex than it’s already been!

I keep thinking about Bing Crosby’s Thanksgiving dinner in the movie Holiday Inn!

Back
Top Bottom