The 3.5% rule

AnonEMouse

Recycles dryer sheets
We've all heard about the 4% rule, but how many have heard of the 3.5% rule?

"Nonviolent protests are twice as likely to succeed as armed conflicts – and those engaging a threshold of 3.5% of the population have never failed to bring about change."

BBC - Future - The '3.5% rule': How a small minority can change the world

Thought it was an interesting read. How many clicked on this thread thinking it was a variation of the 4% withdrawal rule - even though it's on the "other topics" forum?

I must be one of the 3.5% who don't represent anything

How many clicked on this thread thinking it was a variation of the 4% withdrawal rule - even though it's on the "other topics" forum?

At least one: me.

But since I don't filter threads based on which forum it appears in, I may not be typical of the population.

Me. I just click the button to search for new posts and pay zero attention to the forum name.

How many clicked on this thread thinking it was a variation of the 4% withdrawal rule - even though it's on the "other topics" forum?
Well, you did mislead us with a partial title.

So if we get 3.5% of the members together, we can stage a coup, overthrow the admins, and take control of er.org. That's what I'm hearing.

So if we get 3.5% of the members together, we can stage a coup, overthrow the admins, and take control of er.org. That's what I'm hearing.

No, that would be a violent conflict. But if you sit around and whine loudly about the state of the world...

Nope. Sounds too much like WORK!

heh heh heh - frankly I'm against it. :D;)

Well, the article does say nonviolent, so coup would be out of the question.

3.5% sounds small, but the absolute numbers are large. In the U.S., for example, we'd need 11+ million people to actively participate to precipitate change. Pretty hard to do when most people's idea of "involvement" is clicking a link.

So kind of on topic when you look at the same sex marriage movement it's around that percentage of gay people that this similar percentage ended up moving the needle to legalize. I'm not including the other letters that encompass LBGTQ...... that might push it to 5%. However it proves a significant minority can push the majority to a decision.

Yeah, but 3.5% of our members are 3.5% of nothin. It's tough being an outlier like this group. I like to think I have a keen eye for the obvious. :)

Back
Top Bottom