The Amazon judge and jury

While we're discussing "free market" and "capitalism," allow me to add some perspective.

You can't have a free market unless you have a marketplace. A marketplace runs under a set of rules. Thousands of years ago, maybe everyone would meet at the town square on (say) Saturday morning. There had to be a way to allocate space for each vendor. There had to be a currency, or at least an agreed-upon set of valuations. There had to be some way to resolve disputes.

Today, the rules are more complex. You can't put lead in the children's toys you're selling. Your manufacturing process can't poison my well water or pollute the air. You can't extract a shared resource (like oil) without paying for it somehow.

The point is, "free market" doesn't mean "no rules." It means the same rules apply to everyone. Sellers are free to compete under those rules, or not. That's what drives efficiency and innovation. Lack of rules quickly breeds a kleptocracy.

Be very careful when a politician tries to conflate the two. They're not doing it for you, but for some special interest.

I have been using Walmart.com a lot more than Amazon recently. I find the Walmart prices to be lower, free shipping if the order is over $35, fast shipping (most in 2 days), easy to deal with customer service, easy returns (can return to the Walmart store). I can find most everything I need on Walmart.com. For specialty items I use Ebay. I would encourage the OP to check out Walmart.com. Amazon is not the only game in town and if they treat their customers like dirt they will lose a lot of customers.

I recently posted a question about Gopro. I ordered it yesterday, via Google Express. My small contribution to the anti-Amazon movement.

I never understood the Amazon obsession. I usually check Amazon's prices when searching for a product, but most always can find the same product cheaper elsewhere. Also, I will never pay an upfront annual fee for shipping like Amazon lures millions of customers to do. With Ebay and Walmart.com for most items and RockAuto for auto parts, I don't see a need for Amazon.

Last edited:
I never understood the Amazon obsession.

For me, pure convenience. One place, has just about everything, good pricing (maybe not always the best), and it shows up at my door in two days with one click. It’s also nice to only have my credit card loaded in one place. For all other purchases, I enter my information with each purchase.

Though I do share the concern about Amazon being too big and controlling, and I’m really concerned about what the OP is going through, so I’m more inclined now that I’m retired to spend a bit more time on other options.

... I usually check Amazon's prices when searching for a product, but most always can find the same product cheaper elsewhere. ...

Even considering the 5% rebate with the Credit/Store card? Can you give an example of "most"?

I've got a couple of recent examples:

Neutrogena facial soap 3 pack. At target it's 3.95, amazon all $9 and up.
Cafe Bustelo decaf: $4 at Target, amazon sells 3-packs for $29 or single for $10

Anecdotal, sure but it's not hard to find cheaper prices on things, especially since prices change all the time. Most sellers use a re-pricer to automate up and down throughout the day with ebbs and flows and competition.

Many times the differences are inconsequential when factoring in convenience and time.

I never understood the Amazon obsession. I usually check Amazon's prices when searching for a product, but most always can find the same product cheaper elsewhere. Also, I will never pay an upfront annual fee for shipping like Amazon lures millions of customers to do. With Ebay and Walmart.com for most items and RockAuto for auto parts, I don't see a need for Amazon.

It's not factual that you can always find the same product cheaper elsewhere.

I don't see this as being obsessed with Amazon. Use any vendor as an example. You become a customer, give them your business. Participate when then expand their platforms, IE Fire stick, Prime Video, E-Reader and buy content from them. They send you a please drop dead notice but don't even say please. The issue for me isn't what they sell but how they feel free to treat any customer like dirt because they have so many customers.

It's like the real word problems we are having today,. If everyone doesn't matter, then no one matters.

...I've never noticed a difference in price. But I also don't give them the opportunity (cookies) to track my searches and adjust accordingly.

For the record, lots of companies do this. The airlines are the best example. Try searching for a flight, then come back later (same browser) and check the price and seat availability. You'll probably notice a big difference.

So, if I search for a flight, the strategy is to delete the cookies if want to come back later and check the price? It's as if the website is seeing me for the first time?

Yeah, we've gotten way off track. Nevertheless, I guess I don't spend much time researching items with cost less than (say) $20... nor do I order many online (the exception being lack of local availability and need).

For larger (higher cost) items there are several websites that will compare/watch pricing for you. For instance, camelcamelcamel.com:

AC Watch.JPG

One of the better features of Amazon, to me, are the ratings. Depending on the kind of thing you're shopping for, they can be pretty helpful for which products people generally like. Of course you need to watch for the thing where there are not enough reviews to be valid.

So just because you can't buy something from Amazon doesn't mean you can't comparison shop and use the reviews. I very often do just that, and don't even log-in, then buy elsewhere. And except for a few whitelisted sites, all my cookies are gone every time I close my browser.

So, if I search for a flight, the strategy is to delete the cookies if want to come back later and check the price? It's as if the website is seeing me for the first time?
Or use incognito mode, which is easier.

Just a quick update.

I’ve disputed the Prime fee and another content purchase charge via the Synchrony Bank Amazon credit card. They told me it may take up to 60 days to resolve the dispute.
Originally they asked me to speak with Amazon customer service to seek the credit for the disputed amounts. I did so. But after they saw my account was closed all they could do was submit a form to Account Services. Then I got an email asking me for a statement for a card ending in 37. Sound familiar? I fell into the trap of taking one more lap through their circle of hell.

So after that I just called Synchrony back and insisted the dispute be taken up through them.

I have been using Walmart.com a lot more than Amazon recently. I find the Walmart prices to be lower, free shipping if the order is over $35, fast shipping (most in 2 days), easy to deal with customer service, easy returns (can return to the Walmart store). I can find most everything I need on Walmart.com. For specialty items I use Ebay. I would encourage the OP to check out Walmart.com. Amazon is not the only game in town and if they treat their customers like dirt they will lose a lot of customers.

Poor luck with my recent walmart.com purchase, items delivered today.

Items arrived damaged, box itself is too damaged to use to ship back.

I had to hunt to find the return page (no link on your order page)

Then, presumably because the online status is still listed as "Just shipped" I can't select "start a return" - that button just takes me back to the order page.

Maybe if I wait a few more days...chat won't open either, & there's no option to send customer service an email.

In my experience Amazon (& jet.com) handles the above situation much better.

Last edited:
Last edited:
A similar thing happened to me with Amazon over 15 years ago except I was banned from selling only. I asked several times, even with a new account I had since opened, and they still do not allow me to sell. Any friends accounts where they use my computer are also not allowed to sell anymore and banned.

I emailed and called Amazon and it never did any good. Now I can only buy on there.
It is a shame as I sell a good bit on ebay and sometimes Amazon seller fees can be lower.

I guess it depends on the Walmart. My experiences with Walmart.com have been miserable. It often takes 20-30 minutes for anyone to even show up when I go to pick up the package. The packages are often crushed or damaged, sometimes to the extent that I have to refuse the order. Yes, returns are easy, and prices may or may not be better. But the pick up process is such a lousy experience I try to avoid ordering from their online department if possible.

I guess it depends on the Walmart. My experiences with Walmart.com have been miserable. It often takes 20-30 minutes for anyone to even show up when I go to pick up the package. The packages are often crushed or damaged, sometimes to the extent that I have to refuse the order. Yes, returns are easy, and prices may or may not be better. But the pick up process is such a lousy experience I try to avoid ordering from their online department if possible.

I have not used the Walmart pick up service. I have used the delivery to the door service and have overall been satisfied with that.

The Business Insider article was interesting.

I think I will stop reviewing anything I buy on Amazon, just to avoid being tagged for fraud in case they think I'm getting something for nothing. Our reviews are really just a form of free labor for them anyway.

BTW, I suspect the review thing has a lot to do with it. There is all kind of fraud out there on reviewing. The OP may have got caught up in some offshore "review mill" that somehow linked to their account. Even if I quit reviewing, I may not be protected from that.

Reviews are the great new scam. Be careful out there. There are many honest reviews. Unfortunately, there are also bad actors in the system.

I think I will stop reviewing anything I buy on Amazon, just to avoid being tagged for fraud in case they think I'm getting something for nothing.

Reading that Business Insider article I was thinking the same thing. Not just on Amazon, but anywhere.

As an Amazon junkie, this whole thing deeply disturbs me. Without going back through all nine pages of this post, I was just wondering if you read this recent article from Business Insider?

Amazon closes users' accounts, and customers are fighting back - Business Insider

From the article: If you're an Amazon customer with a story to share, email retail@businessinsider.com

There's a Facebook group for folks in these shoes: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1519885701643780/about/
Wow - ok! Good find!

Although I actually like shopping at our local small Walmart, their customer service line is invariably a mob scene; I'd never consider picking up there (even if it were closer than 15 miles from home). We use the home delivery. Packing is not always the best. They think glass can be safely packed in those little air bag strips. I have provided feedback to the contrary.

I have not used the Walmart pick up service. I have used the delivery to the door service and have overall been satisfied with that.

... and will definitely order more things from Walmart.com, Jet.com, Google Express and ebay.com (I buy a lot of new items on Ebay all the time for cheaper than Amazon).

Keep on eye on Google Express: Last week I was going to buy via Google Express:
Kirkland Laundry Soap $16.29
Bounty White Paper Towels $23.54

At the Costco Warehouse the prices for the above items:

$10.99
$15.99

As I recall, the two items were on sale at the Costco Warehouse, but were not on sale going through Google Express.

The only reason I use the in store pick up is that everything I've ordered from Walmart either has an expensive shipping charge or would take too long being delivered to the door. I saw in your post that anything over $35 is free delivery, but that's either new or not across the board. I've ordered some fairly heavy items that I would love to have had delivered to my home, but it wasn't an affordable option. Maybe it's because we're in a rural area or something. Or maybe they've improved their process. I do a ton of ordering on Amazon, and with my Prime account I don't worry about shipping or delivery. But if I'm shopping for something over $100 I always compare prices. Maybe I'll give Walmart another try. It's not like we're not there fairly often anyway.

I avoid going to stores altogether now whether it's Costco, Target, Walmart even the grocery store -unless I have no other option. Around here they're crowded, parking lots are full and people are annoying, rude and have bad etiquette and I live in a nice part of the country...at least on paper.

Back
Top Bottom