The Blue Streak

redduck

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Went to the supermarket this morning, came home and saw that in addition picking up some groceries, I also picked up a small (maybe a 4 inch) streak of blue paint on my car. It doesn't work all that well as a pinstripe. So, is there a good way to remove the blue paint without also removing the original paint on the car?

Rubbing compound might do it. Just go easy, so you don't remove original. Hand rub, don't use buffing/polishing machine.

Any particular type of polishing or rubbing compound? Any favorite brand? Any special sort of rag to use?

Thanks.

I've seen toothpaste work too. Maybe there is some problem with that to explain why it hasn't been brought up with, but if nobody says something I'd try that with a soft cloth.

Any particular type of polishing or rubbing compound? Any favorite brand? Any special sort of rag to use?

Thanks.

Just had the same issue and used Meguiar's Ultimate Compound that I had at home. Came right off with a little elbow grease and a good microfiber towel.

Plain car wax might also work.

Here on the southern plains, it is often pretty blowy (15mph or so today; was 25-35mph Wednesday...). The nearest Wallyworld’s parking lot slopes away from the building. I’ve seen runaway shopping carts that had to be doing over the speed limit t-bone unwitting autos, since the lazy sphincter who used it couldn’t be bothered to return it to the cart parking lot...

I've be careful with acetone - it is a powerful solvent. I'd try toothpaste first then rubbing compound if toothpaste doesn't work.

If you think it came from a shopping cart, I would try soft scrub, with a little elbow grease. That has worked for me.

Just had the same issue and used Meguiar's Ultimate Compound that I had at home. Came right off with a little elbow grease and a good microfiber towel.
Years ago I used an old tshirt with whatever rubbing compound I had.

Much like anything else, you can always add more but can't go back. Try what seems to be the least and go forward, perhaps just apply the product on the inside of a door or someplace, you won't care about.

I've seen toothpaste used, it's an abrasive like rubbing compound. I've heard of acetone used but have no personal experience. Some nail polish removers used to be acetone based, but I'd probably go to an auto parts place and talk to anyone. Perhaps an internet search for someone who had an experience with the same vehicle can help?

Start conservatively, then escalate the battle only if you really have to.

1. polishing compound; rub slowly by hand and with patience. Keep the abrasive on the streak as much as possible because it will cut the car's paint at roughly the same rate as it cuts the streak if the streak is also car paint.
2. rubbing compound, which is coarser; with even more patience.
3. abrasives of unknown coarseness, like toothpaste; if you are a gambler.
4. 600 grit wet-or-dry 3M sandpaper ONLY on the streak and only to thin it to save time with the polishing compound. DO NOT cut through to the car paint.

You can also try WD-40, which some consider to be the automotive equivalent of holy water. I don't know that it has every harmed paint but YMMV.

Solvents are dangerous and unlikely to work. Shopping cart bumpers are probably high density polyethylene, which is not soluble in even the nastier home solvents like acetone, MEK, etc. Normal car paint has polymerized into fancy molecules that are also not soluble in that kind of stuff. If you just can't resist trying a solvent "Goo Gone" is marketed as safe, but I would try it on an invisible section of car paint, like on the fender well lip. Put it on a white cloth and rub lightly, then check the cloth for car color. Wait a while and do the same thing again to the same area. Some solvents take a little time to soften paint, so you may not see color right away.

Last edited:
I use WD-40, and paint scuffs come off after some use of elbow grease.

here's a Youtube video, if you're interested.

I've used WD-40 in similar situations successfully. But I'm (disappointingly according to my middle son) not a car guy, so if it damaged the paint job a little I would not have noticed. It seemed not to damage the paint job but did get rid of the sap.

I would use Meguirs Cleaner Car Wax first.... Otherwise, you are risking adding scratches....

OK, I tried the toothpaste/microfiber/elbow grease method. Didn't make much progress.

Tomorrow, it's off to O'Reilly's Auto for alternatives to the toothpaste. I think we have WD-40 in garage--I'll try that in the morning. Maybe I also have car wax and car polish in the garage. They're probably on the same shelf as the toothpaste.

The video was well-done and hopefully helpful (to me). Thanks, Coolious.

Start with any wax then try a clay bar. Be careful with anything more aggressive since it can damage the clear coat

In addition to WD40, I have found that the oxalic (sp?) acid in Lysol toilet bowl cleaner works wonders on a lot of stains; but try a small area first.

The fiberglass on my boat gets cruddy and yellow after the season and I just wipe on some Lysol, let it sit for 3 minutes and wash it off and it looks like new. It also cleaned up a stain on our counter top that seemed impervious to anything else.

I can attest that WD-40 is a wonderful thing for getting smashed bugs off the car without harming the paint.

Back
Top Bottom