The cavalry ain't comin' to the destroyed Bahamas quickly enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who does not expect to be on their own for a week or two after a large natural disaster has not been paying attention. If something bad happened, I expect to be stuck for a couple weeks and for crime to spike (especially looting). Given the relatively few major highways around here, I don't expect to be able to leave.

Where I am, the only likely disaster is loss of electricity due to equipment malfunction in the summer. I do not know if it is possible to have a large-scale blackout as it did happen in New York in 1977. Even then, here it should not be lethal as long as I can get gasoline to drive up to my high-country home to escape the heat. On small-scale power loss, people just drive to the nearest hotel no differently than they do when their AC fails.

And now that I have my solar array plus the lithium battery bank that can run a mini-split AC, I feel better although I did not install them for disaster preparation.

For a long-term outage, I would still need a generator to assist the solar panels in recharging the battery. I can use a long power cord to run from the genset in the RV to the equipment shed in the backyard, but have to be able to get gasoline for the RV. I cannot keep the 55-gal tank of the RV topped off for emergency as it would go stale.

Food-wise, my wife hoards food in such manner that we can survive for months. Green vegetable might be a bit sparse if we have only the stuff we grow to feed on.

When everything is submerged like what happens in flooded areas caused by hurricanes, I don't know how you can survive. Stuff that is on the ground is lost to flood, and what is kept high may be blown away by 200-mph wind. You are doomed!

Last edited:
And it ain't like high dollar vacationers are coming anytime soon. They're cooked.

Anyone who does not expect to be on their own for a week or two after a large natural disaster has not been paying attention. If something bad happened, I expect to be stuck for a couple weeks and for crime to spike (especially looting). Given the relatively few major highways around here, I don't expect to be able to leave.

After the latest tornado around here, one of our friends lived in the remains of his house for a couple weeks until they could get the roof covered and lockable. With no water, electricity or gas. His main concern was looting.

People comment on the lack of quick response in the wake of a natural disaster. But people don’t understand the logistics of returning life to normal. No utilities, blocked roads, lack of available local workers/ helpers and construction supplies prolong the disaster long after the natural disaster is over.

We could buy Greenland and move everyone there. I hear it is melting.

Of course Denmark knows Greenland is becoming prime real estate when the rest of the world is either roasting or flooded. They cannot sell Greenland anyway, as Greenlanders are working towards independence from the current autonomy status.

There are only 56,000 Greenlanders for an area 5 times the size of California, so perhaps they could be bribed, if an outright invasion looks immoral. :)

Wonder if I should look into investing in a few acres there. :)

Last edited:
Come to think of it, the best thing is to wait for Greenlanders to declare independence, then bribe them out. We cut Denmark out of the deal. Win-win situation for the US and the Greenlanders. No middleman.

At 56,000 Greenlanders, an offer of US$1M a piece is only $56B. And they become US citizens and can visit US mainland anytime and even live here. They can try to live in Texas for a change (don't nobody tell them about REWahoo's list, nor the disaster map above). What a deal. Greenland is still mostly frozen anyway (83%).

The US did offer US$100M to Denmark for Greenland back in 1946. And back in 1917, Denmark did sell the Danish West Indies to the US, which is now called the US Virgin Islands.

PS. When Russia sold Alaska to the US, did the native Alaskans get anything? Zilch. And there were also Russians living in Alaska then. I visited a small town in Alaska which still showed some Russian heritage.

Last edited:
I wasn't referring to unforeseen natural disasters like hurricanes. It may take many years but the rising sea levels due to climate change will eventually hit many coastal communities around the world (including the US) making them uninhabitable.

Then why are we building on strips of sand? These islands, and the US barrier islands have never been stable. And BTW, climate has been changing and will continue to. A mere 12,000 years ago -- blink of the eye -- NYC was staring at a wall of ice.

South Florida: I'm looking at you. If Dorian had hit Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, you'd be cut off too. Not as badly, but it would not be pretty. It's a challenge to drive that distance on a sunny day. If I-95 and the Turnpike get torn up or flooded, you might have a few days of no response too.

Last edited:
BTW, that map underestimates Tsunami risk on both coasts, especially the Pacific NW. I think they forgot to include that risk.

Not everything printed in the NYT is gospel.

i feel sorry for the Bahamians, but there was an article recently in the Miami Herald that Puerto Rico still has not recovered from last year's hurricane damage. They are US citizens, and we did not help them that much.
As an example, FEMA supplied some generators, but did not give them funds for gas to run them.
It’s horrible for anyone to go through a hurricane, US or not.

Puerto Rican’s have dual citizenship and a separately recognized nationality, legally that’s how they want it.

Puerto Rican’s pay SS and Medicare taxes, and get those benefits. However Puerto Rican’s pay no US federal income taxes on income earned in PR, which largely funds disaster relief...it’s not quite as straightforward as you’ve stated.
Puerto Rican citizenship is the status of having citizenship of Puerto Rico as a concept distinct from having citizenship of the United States. Such a citizenship was first legislated in Article 7 of the Foraker Act of 1900 and later recognized in the Constitution of Puerto Rico. Puerto Rican citizenship existed before the U.S. takeover of the islands of Puerto Rico and continued afterwards. Its affirmative standing was also recognized before and after the creation of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico in 1952. Puerto Rican citizenship was recognized by the United States Congress in the early twentieth century and continues unchanged after the creation of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.The United States government also continues to recognize a Puerto Rican nationality. Puerto Rican citizenship is also recognized by the Spanish Government, which recognizes Puerto Ricans as a people with Puerto Rican, and not American citizenship. It may also grant Spanish citizenship to Puerto Ricans on the basis of their Puerto Rican (and not American) citizenship.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rican_citizenship

Last edited:
People comment on the lack of quick response in the wake of a natural disaster. But people don’t understand the logistics of returning life to normal. No utilities, blocked roads, lack of available local workers/ helpers and construction supplies prolong the disaster long after the natural disaster is over.

+1. Even if someone comes to rescue you within the first few days, and even if you get a roof over your head again soon after that, your life is not going to return to semi-normal for a long, long time (years) after a direct hit from a hurricane like Dorian. Some of the islanders who survived Dorian remarked that they felt like they needed to just start over in a new place, and I can easily understand that. The thought of trying to restore normal life to a place that has suffered that much devastation must be overwhelming.

Could you point out in this picture where you would keep all your well prepared supplies, guns and ammo, and place to sleep. Lets assume your spouse was washed away when the walls caved in-so many stories have said that.
https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/...59-87011050bbe4-AFP_AFP_1K21ET.jpg?width=1280

+1. Even if someone comes to rescue you within the first few days, and even if you get a roof over your head again soon after that, your life is not going to return to semi-normal for a long, long time (years) after a direct hit from a hurricane like Dorian. Some of the islanders who survived Dorian remarked that they felt like they needed to just start over in a new place, and I can easily understand that. The thought of trying to restore normal life to a place that has suffered that much devastation must be overwhelming.
We just relocated, and although we've really wanted to live on the east coast our entire lives, we consciously chose to relocate 200+ miles from the ocean - specifically to avoid the worst of hurricane damage and disruption. And if anything, it appears hurricanes may only get worse. We literally watched the edge of Dorian pass by us last Thursday afternoon, but at worst we had 30 mph wind gusts.

I do feel sorry for those who's lives are disrupted by a natural disaster, but only if they don't choose to rebuild in the same place in most cases. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Where hurricanes, tornadoes, flooding, wildfires, earthquakes are most likely to strike is well known...

We don’t expect other taxpayers to help pay to rebuild our home, that’s what insurance is for.

Last edited:
^^^ Nice and interesting chart, but we need to know what the colors of the circles mean.

Who wouldda thunk Dallas is such a high-risk area?

Corvallis is another city called out in the map. I know some posters here live there. ;)
I never felt that Dallas is not a high risk disaster area. I would have to learn on the methodology of this map data. The biggest risk in Dallas is Hail but it generally only causes property damage (cars and roof). Tornado is very scary for property and people but generally it has a narrow path where it touches down. I have been in Dallas for over 20 years and I have seen tornado touch down twice within 2 miles from any or my several houses, never ON any of them. Now if you ask anyone is Dallas what scares them the most then lot of people will tell you it's snow. Snow really scares me! We get mass car accidents every time it snows.

I wasn't referring to unforeseen natural disasters like hurricanes. It may take many years but the rising sea levels due to climate change will eventually hit many coastal communities around the world (including the US) making them uninhabitable.

Unless vulcanism or solar output send temps the other way, as has happened in the past.

As to the OP, often, living in paradise often has its perils. It could be hurricanes, tsunamis, drought, fire, volcano...take your pick.

I am heartbroken for those in the Bahamas. It is a terrible tragedy.

Be able to survive at least a week on your own, preferably two.

After that hurricane hit New Orleans a few years back, one thing became very clear to me. We have to be able to survive at least a week, preferably two on our own in the case of a major natural disaster. That means having water, food, fuel, and some form of sanitation available. For that reason I keep my old camping gear in good shape.

As far as Porto Rico is concerned, I think some of the recent political turmoil points to a situation that must be a very big contributor to their difficulties recovering form the hurricane.

It will be hard for many Bahamians to relocate elsewhere. When you are broke, have no work, and with no assets, what countries will take you in?

Puerto Ricans can move freely to the US mainland, if they have money and that's a big if.

With rising sea levels it does make one wonder if places like the Bahamas are even worth rebuilding. The islands are barely above sea level as it is and it will only get worse.
I don't believe it's a fact that sea level will only ever rise and not stabilize or fall. I mean where do you begin to get that idea?

So we should also abandon all the barrier islands on the east coast of the USA?

If humans abandoned everyplace that ever had a natural disaster, there would be few places left to inhabit. It is the repeat natural disasters that repeatedly happen in the same spots that are annoying. Like flooding along the rivers in the Midwest. There is no way places with repeated issues should be rebuilt. Now if a Cat 5 hit the same islands every other year, that would be a different situation.
My understanding is that there are places on the barrier islands on the Atlantic Seabord where rebuilding is not being permitted on certain lots that received damage in previous storms. I have friends who vacation on Figure Eight Island, and another couple who winter on Oak Island, both off the coast of North Carolina, and there are lots there that once had homes, and now do not because of storm damage, and rebuilding is not being permitted.

So, yeah, I think that there will be an increasing number of these in the future. I have no problem with folks building on the barrier islands, but they should be excluded, IMO, from any form of governmental aide to recover financial losses in those areas.

Speaking of unexpected post-distaster problems....

I was on a tour in Italy that included four lawyers from the New Orleans area Everyone of them was having serious issues with the insurance company that insured their home after that massive hurricane.

I don't believe it's a fact that sea level will only ever rise and not stabilize or fall. I mean where do you begin to get that idea?

Never said it would go on forever, where did you get that idea?:) The changes due to global warming have been scientifically shown to be getting worse over recent years and little is being done to make one think it get better in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
[sarcasm] I assume.

Where would the Bahamians go? Any country willing to adopt them? There are only 400,000 of them, not too many.

It's good to hear the US Coast Guard is helping with the rescue.

There are totally 3000 islands, cays and islets in The Bahamas. There are over 30 big islands, 700 tiny islands and many islets in the area. New Providence is the principal island of The Bahamas.

I'm sure some of the islands are not appropriate, but there should be places for the Bahamians to go within their own country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom