The Coming Economic Collapse

Martha said:
Security, standard of living, . . .

At least she seems to have no problem that you are retired.  I know a guy who has a wife about 15 years younger than he is.  He is now 65 and I think he would really like to retire.  They should have enough if they live a reasonably frugal lifestyle.  She doesn't want him to quit.  She is worried about her own future security.  But not so much she will go out and get a job.  :mad:

Martha: Sorry, but that gal sounds a lot like Greg. (Apocolypse maybe). :D

Greg may be bearish, but he never pushes me to work. He says quit anytime.

But I like a higher standard of living and buy a lot more stuff than he does. I also want enough to be comfortable gifting to family.

Yesterday I bought a new bicycle. He is happy with his old ratty one. Etc.

Picture of Greg's frugality is the paper towels that he saws (yes, uses a saw) in half before putting on the paper towel holdler:

img_384155_0_7677c74b66c4fce8a58e2a6eaca3f755.jpg

I think we may have a rival/alternative to recycled dryer sheets.

Note also in the back of the picture the "Christmas" potholder we were given once. Of course, we don't buy potholders, we just use the Christmas one year round. :)

Greg must be slipping. I would have sworn he's the kind of guy who would cut them into thirds. Surely he uses a hand saw to save elecricity... :LOL:

Martha said:
Picture of Greg's frugality is the paper towels that he saws (yes, uses a saw) in half before putting on the paper towel holdler: 
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: That's hilarious! Has he ever heard of "select-a-sheet" that lets you tear off "half" a paper towel. Oh wait - those are more expensive than regular - :LOL: :LOL:

Audrey

What are ya'll big spendthrifts doing using those towels made out of paper? Rags do just as well, they are free, and they are reusable.

Lifecycle of a new shirt for me:

Someone else buys it and donates it to Goodwill. Then I buy it. Wear it forever until it gets worn out. It is then cut into rags. When the rags get threadbare, use them to restuff pillowcases. When the pillows get too old, burn them as fuel.

You people do this, right? I'm not the crazy one, right? ;)

Sorry, Martha, we don't use paper towels-- we find plenty of old washcloths at Goodwill and just rotate them through the sink duty. But you don't have to tell Greg that!

justin said:
Lifecycle of a new shirt for me:
Someone else buys it and donates it to Goodwill.  Then I buy it.  Wear it forever until it gets worn out.  It is then cut into rags.  When the rags get threadbare, use them to restuff pillowcases.  When the pillows get too old, burn them as fuel.
You people do this, right?  I'm not the crazy one, right?  ;)
Actually I don't have to cut up my old t-shirts since they're usually swiss cheese by the time they end up in the rag bucket. They never get threadbare, either-- we just use them to clean up after an oil change, and then we re-use them as charcoal starters (saves on lighter fluid).

I thought everyone does stuff like that too. You mean we're the only ones?

Our American flag is getting old & ragged so we bought a new one. When we get around to raising the new one, we'll transfer the old one to the grill (after I teach the kid how to fold it properly). Then we'll burn it, but as we do that we'll let her practice with an old fire extinguisher that's dropped below its usable pressure yet still retains some training value. When that runs out then we'll continue with the BBQ...

Eagle43 said:
Victoria, especially, is beyoootiful! But, a few years ago, I was up there at Christmas time.  My **** shrunk!  :)  Is that right or should it be shrank?

Are you saying you don't dig Canadian women? 'Cause I've known a few that as best I can remember made my **** swell. But they were Austrian immigrants, so I suppose that could be the difference.

Ha

Martha said:

I don't think anyone could say that Greg doesn't walk the walk.

Ha

73ss454 said:
Watch out Martha, in the summer he's going to start using leaves.

:D :smitten: No! I've got this all planned out in case anything bad happens. The first year we moved to our current house, DW planted little cedars close to the house. I was not impressed :p. The next year, she planted a few broad-leaved deciduous thingies (anyway, regular tree parts?). That made me happy as my mind began to move :crazy:. So here's the entire plan:

1) Spring: fresh dandilions
2) Summer: grass
3) Fall: leaves, carefully collected and saved between sheets of
4) Winter: a bucket of snow, placed convienently near the commode and refreshed, as need.

Consider it "the bum's rush." And it adds variety and texture to a regular (or irregular) routine. :D

--DH

Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON said:
I've got this all planned out in case anything bad happens.

1) Spring: fresh dandilions
2) Summer: grass
3) Fall: leaves, carefully collected and saved between sheets of
4) Winter: a bucket of snow, placed convienently near the commode and refreshed, as need.

It appears to me that something "bad" has already happened at the Apocalypse residence... ;)

HaHa said:
Are you saying you don't dig Canadian women? 'Cause I've known a few that as best I can remember made my **** swell. But they were Austrian immigrants, so I suppose that could be the difference.

Ha
Not even close. Love Canadian women. That was a weather comment. I swell when I can. :D

Draw up a What If's scenario.?

American debt is so bad, $ falls rapidly, interest rates go up dramatically, what would be the effect on my personal lifestyle?

If the answer is I lose my House, my portfolio will drop dramatically, then changes should be made.

If the answer is nothing, the don't do any thing, weather the storm.

I can tell you the concern over the U.S .Debt was a major isssue on our Business Channel and is a major concern in Europe.

A Smart Investor is waiting for the smoke to clear, the Fed has not finished tightening, it will be forced to several more to defend the International Value of the Greenback.

I am an Economist, I graduated from the same school as Nobel Prize winner, Myron Scholes, my US Holdings are minimal.

I have on my wall a 100,000 Deutsche Mark, worth nothing, issued during the Bundesbank when people took money in a wheelbarrow to buy a loaf of bread.

if you are like me and have your money in dollars, bonds, mutual funds, cds etc. then what do you do? do you make changes today?

newyorklady said:
if you are like me and have your money in dollars, bonds, mutual funds, cds etc. then what do you do? do you make changes today?

I think Cool Dude has the best suggestion I've heard on this subject:

Cool Dood said:
Someone should start a company marketing bullets made of gold. That way when the apocalypse comes, you can choose depending on the situation to trade your bullets for food, or to shoot them at your neighbor.

Nords said:
What a coincidence, my nephew says he saw a higher standard of living in Afghanistan than in the area around Fort Polk, LA...
He was right. I was in basic training at Ft Polk. I seen Leesville.

[Question from the Hicksyclopedia:
Which is correct?
a) I seen Leesville,
b) I seed Leesville,
c) I done seen Leesville.]

(Geez! I hope Dory doesn't have to pay for all the bandwidth that is getting used up on this thread. ;) )

Maximillion said:
I  am an Economist, I graduated from the same school as Nobel Prize winner, Myron Scholes, my US Holdings are minimal.
I say again, Max, is that the same Myron Scholes that put Long-Term Capital Management down the tubes, attempted to shield his profits in an illegal tax shelter, and was fined $40M by the Internal Revenue Service? I wonder how much he paid for his economics degree... and I hope you're not planning to ride his coattails.

I wonder how he does his risk analysis? As Bill Sharpe has said before, it's a good thing that the Nobel committee doesn't repossess them.

REWahoo! said:
I think Cool Dude has the best suggestion I've heard on this subject:

:D :D :D

Yep, and when Mad--Max, and the Canadian Volunteers come looking for the Cool One, he could offer them a choice. ;)

Nords said:
I say again, Max, is that the same Myron Scholes that put Long-Term Capital Management down the tubes, attempted to shield his profits in an illegal tax shelter, and was fined $40M by the Internal Revenue Service? I wonder how much he paid for his economics degree... and I hope you're not planning to ride his coattails.

I wonder how he does his risk analysis? As Bill Sharpe has said before, it's a good thing that the Nobel committee doesn't repossess them.

Damn Nords, you beat me to the punch!

I generally don't think too fondly of folks who lose billions of dollars like he did. Even if they do have a nobel peace prize.

And I was taught law and economics by a guy that went to the school that ole Myron went to. Does that make me a geeeeniouuuuusss?

Back
Top Bottom