The five greatest moments of your life...

I don't have greatest moments, as such. I have greatest transistions or accomplishments, plus one good luck incident.

1. Being married to my wife.
2. Realizing that I could change my attitude from a poor one to a good one at age 19 and then doing it.
3. Finishing a BS in Comp Sci at a hard school.
4. Getting a house in the country like we wanted.
5. Getting a literally life-saving kidney/pancreas transplant.

Mike D.

[quote

Well, this got longer and shorter and longer again. Hope it was worth the read.[/quote]

It was a great read !!

1. Buying out my ex-husband's share in our house and getting my first mortgage in my name alone.

2. Delivering my children.
3. Getting my black belt in Tae Kwon do at the age of 43.
4. Buying my current house paying cash.
5. Leaving the work force.

1. Marrying wife
2. Retiring
3. Getting news of receiving stipend for graduate school
4. Moving out of the city
5. Finding out that DW's brain tumor operation was successful, and that it was unlikely to come back.

The birth of our daughter was easily the worst of my life, since there were complications during birth. Although everything turned out OK, she was rushed to the ICU, and one nurse said she might have brain damage. Had to wait to find out and keep DW blissfully unaware of what was going on.

1. Realizing in high school that I had self-determination, that I had some control over the direction of my life
2. Getting a Bachelor's degree -- it took 8 long years since I worked full-time and part-time to finance it myself
3. Being hooked up to a wireless mike and speaking to a room full of industry analysts, learning that I was capable of handling large public presentations
4. Finally understanding why my first marriage failed and realizing that I could marry again, with a greater chance for success next time
5. Finding a second soul mate -- thought I'd used up my one chance

--Linney

I've enjoyed this thread. When I try to figure out what's on my top 5 list of course the usual family milestones shine through. But mostly, my "top moments" are small, almost routine happenings often shared with the DW or others, but also alone.

Things like that lingering cup of coffee and the paper on a Sunday morning. Or watching my kids discipline my grandkids, using the same words DW and I used to use. Or hearing your g-kids call you Grampa ("Boppa" in my case, for reasons unknown to me). Amazing motorcycle rides when I lived in Arizona; more recently discovering a great campground to RV to. A 2 hour dinner and bottle of wine with the DW on a Wednesday night (remembering that I still w*rk long hours). Poker games with friends. A student I taught decades ago approaching me at a conference with stories of success and a "thank you."

Guess I'm more of a "small pleasures" type. Don't know how that bodes for FIRE but I'm not too worried.

1) age 18 - Hole in one #1
2) age 42 - Hole in one #2
3) age 52 - Retirement
4) age 52 - Hole in one #3
5) n/a - Waiting on Hole in one #4

Here's Mine:

1)birth of both boys
2)marriage
3)reconciling with my brother after a 20 year feud
4)Being at the Drake Relays, and running in a 1600 meter relay with the "big boys"
5)Singing with our men's chorus at Carnegie Hall

Probably leaving a few out.........:p

Here's Mine:

1)birth of both boys
2)marriage
3)reconciling with my brother after a 20 year feud
4)Being at the Drake Relays, and running in a 1600 meter relay with the "big boys"
5)Singing with our men's chorus at Carnegie Hall

Probably leaving a few out.........:p

Wow, must have been a serious feud to last that long. Be glad you did. Never know when your time is up.

Wow, must have been a serious feud to last that long. Be glad you did. Never know when your time is up.

My (and my sister's) "feud" with my brother lasted 23 years until his death in '03; but really started years before that. Is that a long time? My dad (English/German) thought it (difficult relationships) had something to do with the Sicilian side of the family! I don't really regret not having a good relationship with bro, he was a very volitile person, not much fun. But I did offer to be a bone marrow donor for him as I didn't want him to have to ask; however that never came to be. Having broken off with bro might actually be on the pleasant side of my equation.

1. Saving a life for the first time
2. Buying a house
3. Paying off the mortgage less than 2 years later
4. Being sworn in as a Canadian citizen
5. Realizing I was FI

I've enjoyed this thread. When I try to figure out what's on my top 5 list of course the usual family milestones shine through. But mostly, my "top moments" are small, almost routine happenings often shared with the DW or others, but also alone.

Things like that lingering cup of coffee and the paper on a Sunday morning. Or watching my kids discipline my grandkids, using the same words DW and I used to use. Or hearing your g-kids call you Grampa ("Boppa" in my case, for reasons unknown to me). Amazing motorcycle rides when I lived in Arizona; more recently discovering a great campground to RV to. A 2 hour dinner and bottle of wine with the DW on a Wednesday night (remembering that I still w*rk long hours). Poker games with friends. A student I taught decades ago approaching me at a conference with stories of success and a "thank you."

Guess I'm more of a "small pleasures" type. Don't know how that bodes for FIRE but I'm not too worried.

Rich for me, I think ER is all about the small pleasures, without the stress of working.

I cannot wait in a couple of months to have a cup of coffee watching the sun rise on a beach, and just exhale, and put the last decade of utter sacrifice behind me.

Ugh, family feuds. My in laws are just chock full of them. My MIL "made up" with one section that had been on the doo-doo list for over a decade, so another section wont talk to her for that major transgression.

I finally got sick of scheduling stuff around the boundary lines and played peacemaker. "If you ever want to see your grandson/nephew/whatever, ever again, you'll show up for the dang holiday meals all at the same time, talk nice to each other, and you can go back to hating each other on the way home".

Wow, what a tough question to answer. Here's what comes to mind first.

1) When my husband (fiance at the time), after carrying me piggy-back for a long time on a long night hike (because my flip-flops broke)...announced to me that he would do anything for me, including dying for me. And it was a full moon, too. Yep, I'm still deeply in love, now 16 years later. Sorry for the sappy stuff, I'm a hopeless romantic.

2) Finishing my last exam in PT school.

3) Witnessing a moon halo (Rings Around The Moon) with my husband while returning on a boat from kayaking hongs in Phang Na Bay in Thailand.

4) The moment I realized in my 20's (after several years of deep soul-searching) that there is indeed a higher power, which to me has presented itself to me through each individual that has touched my life.

5) I don't think it's happenned yet!

1. Becoming friends with my future wife.
2. Being born again.
3. Birth of son & daughter
4. Birth of Granddaughter (she calls me Boppa too.)
5. Becoming FI (future)

You "boppa" fellas enjoy the moniker. My dad is now and probably forever known as "gunka". One of Gabes first words.

This is a great thread. Originally, I thought in terms of the traditional life milestones -- leaving home, getting accepted at and graduating from college and law school, gettting married etc. But then I thought about those days in my life that were simply sublime, the ones that never fade in the memory and make me happy each and every time I think about them. Most were simple activities, although generally in spectacular settings. The following are the most special, in no particular order.

1. A night in August 1983, about 4 am. I was in the Navy, an officer on a submarine. We were on the surface at night and I was the Officer of the Deck, driving the ship from the bridge (at the top of the sail). It was cold, but not uncomfortable. The sea was calm, a near full moon was out. We were just entering the Pacific reaches of the Straits of Magellan, at the southern tip of South America. It was just me and one lookout up in the sail. As we steamed along, our wake was phosphorescent green with the churned up krill and phytoplankton. Suddenly, we spotted two new bright green trails in the water, approaching the boat. As the trails drew near, we could see they were dolphins, who came up alongside the bow and jumped and played next to us. It struck me at that moment how beautiful life is.

2. A day in late January 1985. On a drive cross country, the young wife and I went to the Grand Canyon. The sun was shining brightly and the sky was almost painfully blue, but it was 30 degrees below zero and the snow was piled over six feet deep by the side of the road. As a consequence, we were the ONLY people at the South Kaibab station. We walked out to the edge of the canyon. I had seen the pictures of course, but I was utterly unprepared for the sight that greeted us. It quite literally took my breath away. We stood for a long time, just staring at the beauty, which seemed like it had been created just for the two of us.

3. A morning in 2005. The young wife and I went to Macchu Picchu in Peru. She was not feeling well, so I got up early and went to walk alone through the ruins as the sun rose. It was truly spectacular, with the greens of the jungle, the grey of the stones and the sharp morning shadows. As I was walking, I came across a young American couple. The young fellow asked me to take their picture with the ruins in the background. He showed me how to work their camera and I got prepared. As I was standing there, he whipped a ring out of his pocket and proposed to the young woman. She said yes, hugged him and cried. As I took their picture, I felt blessed to be there to see love flourish and a new family begin.

4. A morning in February 1973 - I was in the 8th grade. We lived in Middletown, Rhode Island. My mother let us stay home from school that day, because we heard the POW's from Vietnam were coming home. My dad, who was in the Navy, had been in Vietnam several times in the late 60's, and we had all been wearing bracelets with the names of POW's for several years. Mine had the name of Captain Jeremiah Denton. As we watched the TV, we saw pictures of a big Air Force plane setting down at Hickam Air Force base in Hawaii (I think, although it might have been Clark in the Phillipines). We watched as the door opened and the men came down the steps. They shook hands and saluted, and then their familes came runnning across the tarmac. Everyone in my house was crying to see these men who had suffered so long finally return home.

5. An afternoon in July 1969 -- I was 10 years old and we lived in Hawaii. Apollo 11 was about to land on the moon. We were at the neighbor's house, watching the TV intently and listening to the transmissions between Mission Control and the spacecraft. It seemed like endless reports of "two and a half down, thirty feet" punctuated by beeps. Finally, we heard the words "Houston, Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has landed." The whole room erupted in cheers and everyone ran outside, jumping up and down and cheering. I remember looking up and down the street and the same thing was happening in every house on the block -- people were going crazy on their front lawns. At that moment, I was so proud of this country. I believed that anything was possible and that the future was bright indeed.

That is my list.

Gumby

Last edited:
1. Seeing the pride in my parents eyes when I graduated from high school. High school might not be a big deal for most, but neither parent finished 12 years because they had to work.

2. Saying "yes I will marry you" to a long haired boy over 30 years ago.

3. Buying our first house.

4. Standing on the Golden Gate Bridge, feeling so proud and wanting to protect it.

5. Tears welling up in my eyes when I see the flag or hear the National anthem.

This is a great thread. Originally, I thought in terms of the traditional life milestones -- leaving home, getting accepted at and graduating from college and law school, gettting married etc. But then I thought about those days in my life that were simply sublime, the ones that never fade in the memory and make me happy each and every time I think about them. Most were simple activities, although generally in spectacular settings. The following are the most special, in no particular order.

1. A night in August 1983, about 4 am. I was in the Navy, an officer on a submarine. We were on the surface at night and I was the Officer of the Deck, driving the ship from the bridge (at the top of the sail). It was cold, but not uncomfortable. The sea was calm, a near full moon was out. We were just entering the Pacific reaches of the Straits of Magellan, at the southern tip of South America. It was just me and one lookout up in the sail. As we steamed along, our wake was phosphorescent green with the churned up krill and phytoplankton. Suddenly, we spotted two new bright green trails in the water, approaching the boat. As the trails drew near, we could see they were dolphins, who came up alongside the bow and jumped and played next to us. It struck me at that moment how beautiful life is.

2. A day in late January 1985. On a drive cross country, the young wife and I went to the Grand Canyon. The sun was shining brightly and the sky was almost painfully blue, but it was 30 degrees below zero and the snow was piled over six feet deep by the side of the road. As a consequence, we were the ONLY people at the South Kaibab station. We walked out to the edge of the canyon. I had seen the pictures of course, but I was utterly unprepared for the sight that greeted us. It quite literally took my breath away. We stood for a long time, just staring at the beauty, which seemed like it had been created just for the two of us.

3. A morning in 2005. The young wife and I went to Macchu Picchu in Peru. She was not feeling well, so I got up early and went to walk alone through the ruins as the sun rose. It was truly spectacular, with the greens of the jungle, the grey of the stones and the sharp morning shadows. As I was walking, I came across a young American couple. The young fellow asked me to take their picture with the ruins in the background. He showed me how to work their camera and I got prepared. As I was standing there, he whipped a ring out of his pocket and proposed to the young woman. She said yes, hugged him and cried. As I took their picture, I felt blessed to be there to see love flourish and a new family begin.

4. A morning in February 1973 - I was in the 8th grade. We lived in Middletown, Rhode Island. My mother let us stay home from school that day, because we heard the POW's from Vietnam were coming home. My dad, who was in the Navy, had been in Vietnam several times in the late 60's, and we had all been wearing bracelets with the names of POW's for several years. Mine had the name of Captain Jeremiah Denton. As we watched the TV, we saw pictures of a big Air Force plane setting down at Hickam Air Force base in Hawaii (I think, although it might have been Clark in the Phillipines). We watched as the door opened and the men came down the steps. They shook hands and saluted, and then their familes came runnning across the tarmac. Everyone in my house was crying to see these men who had suffered so long finally return home.

5. An afternoon in July 1969 -- I was 10 years old and we lived in Hawaii. Apollo 11 was about to land on the moon. We were at the neighbor's house, watching the TV intently and listening to the transmissions between Mission Control and the spacecraft. It seemed like endless reports of "two and a half down, thirty feet" punctuated by beeps. Finally, we heard the words "Houston, Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has landed." The whole room erupted in cheers and everyone ran outside, jumping up and down and cheering. I remember looking up and down the street and the same thing was happening in every house on the block -- people were going crazy on their front lawns. At that moment, I was so proud of this country. I believed that anything was possible and that the future was bright indeed.

That is my list.

Gumby

I read the entire thread, Gumby, and you've got the best list.

1. Becoming friends with my future wife.
2. Being born again.
3. Birth of son & daughter
4. Birth of Granddaughter (she calls me Boppa too.)
5. Becoming FI (future)

I love how you say 'becoming friends with'. Flirting is often so much better than the actual relationship. (I am not saying a relationship can't be amazing.)

My 5 best moments:
- Hearing for the first time somebody thinks you are his (at that time girls were the enemy) best friend. ('wow, out of all those people!')
- Hearing for the first time somebody is in love with you ('wow, she loves me!')
- Hearing for the first time you have highest distinction ('wow, they think I am that smart?')
- Hearing for the first time an elite firm wants to offer you a position ('wow, am I supposed to be one of the best and the brightest?')
- Reaching 10K in investments. I did this 2 years ago at age 19 and it was a milestone to me.

Last edited:
1) Coming to the US in 1985 (I was 10) for vacation and staying. I wonder how my life would have been if I had stayed in India....probably married with kids, being dependent on my husband for everything.

2) The day I picked up my college diploma, gave it to my parents, and moved out of their house to pursue my freedom.

3) November 24, 2003--My sobriety date...I realized that if I don't change and quit drinking and doing drugs that I would die....I made a committment to myself and recovery.

4) January 5, 2007--When I held Micro (my first pet) in my arms as the vet gave him the injection and feeling his life leave his body....the hardest decision I have had to make in my life. The most critical moment in my sobriety as I learned how to walk through that, rather than escape from it.

5) The day I knew in my bones and the core of my being that I was put on this earth to be an artist.

Back
Top Bottom