The money wasted on crap....

I hate to even think about the crap I wasted money on. Actually makes me sik why I needed that or this through the years.

Oh, my, I thought these were just the normal by-products of a DIY life! At one point, we had three gas chain saws that had up and quit. I tried cleaning them, didn't help. Too expensive to get them fixed. Put them all out at the curb, where they vanished overnight; bought an electric saw and never looked back.

For most of us a good electric chain saw works just great!

Plus I love that it isn't nearly as ear-splitting as the gas saws, not to mention no more messing with %$!+-ing 2-cycle fuel.

I wouldn't try to cut down a big tree with it, though. For that, I'll hire somebody who uses a gas saw :D

For most of us a good electric chain saw works just great!

Advertisements and society as whole is to blame. Look at storage unit stocks. Going crazy! Even out in the middle of nowhere, you'll find storage units. EVERYONE has too much "stuff".

It's no fun to come face-to-face with a past poor decision. At least you admit it!

You could always try Craig's List or eBay. I've had good luck with both. It's amazing how there's a market for almost anything, as long as you're not looking to make a huge profit. I figure if I can give some piece of junk (to me) a second life, make someone happy and pocket $20, I'ts a win-win-win.

I sold a bunch of old marine electronics components I had lying around. Sometimes you have an old system and one component fails. It's a lot cheaper and easier to buy that one component used off eBay than to buy (and learn to use) a whole new system. These things can get bid up surprisingly high.

Yep agree. I try to do a $1,000 challenge a couple of times a year. Roll through garage, basement and anywhere else. Try to raise $1,000. I did it recently. A small generator, 2 sewing machines and few golf clubs later and I was there. All on Craigslist and met at public parking lot .25 mile from house. Total time invested was less than 1.5 hours.

It is amazing to read these comments and see how we are all the same. I along with all of you have fallen into the trap of needless spending many times. My plan today, buy less and less and always question the apparent need. If I do buy something, something else in the house or garage must go.

Advertisements and society as whole is to blame. Look at storage unit stocks. Going crazy! Even out in the middle of nowhere, you'll find storage units. EVERYONE has too much "stuff".

I read a book called "Rightsizing Your Life" by Ciji Ware, which I highly recommend. She tells the story of one lady who could not bear to part with all her treasures when she and her husband downsized. She put them in storage at $300/month. She finally got rid of them after 3 years.

As the author says, "You do the math".:D

I had to get my septic tank pumped today, so I'm not really sure how to feel about this thread.

Courtesy of Tom Lehrer -

Hen3ry (the 3 is silent, you see) once said: "Life is like a sewer. What you get out of it depends on what you put into it."

Not sure this is applicable here, but I'll believe it if you will. As ever, YMMV.:cool:

This is the main reason the wife and I are no longer together. She was a rabid buyer of anything and everything. Most of it hardly used, used once or in many cases never used at all and still in its original box. She was an impulse buyer on steroids. Gave little thought if it was needed or would really be used. Never comparison shopped either. Over 40 years I can't even imagine how much money it all amounted to. Easily tens of thousands of dollars. All I could do is imagine what that wasted money, if invested, would be worth today. I saw a comfortable retirement going down the tubes which eventually caused our split. Having said that, I'm not totally innocent of buying things that I shouldn't have. I think everyone does that at one time or another. It's only dangerous when it's out of control.

Last edited:
I've generally been pretty good about not overbuying, but have realized that I made poor choices in replacing clothes after losing weight several years ago.

Basically, I have a full closet and not much that fits well or that I want to wear. Combine that with the inevitable changes in clothing needs with retirement, and my wardrobe is a mess.

I've been using the pandemic as a buy nothing (except for shoes) opportunity, and wearing some things out even though I don't really like them. Starting to see some empty space in the closet eight months in and can probably get to spring, when I will need at least a few short sleeve polo shirts.

The male retiree's cargo shorts, weathered t-shirt, and flip-flops isn't going to work for me. My daily wear will probably stay near the casual end of business casual.

Yes, and it's easier and faster to have a giant roll-off bin delivered to your driveway by your refuse company. I've done this twice for my mom, and threw away something like 40 cubic yards of junk; then I called a charity and had them come for the excess furniture. Easiest way....
I prefer the attempt at reuse before recycle and last is trash. The Magic Curb works well. If I have skis and boots for kids that are old but serviceable I'd rather another child possibly get some use from them. Or as someone else said, an old chainsaw picked up by someone who does small engine repair and can rehabilitate it and reuse or resell it. We have been pretty frugal but much still manages to accumulate over the years and it will be nice to clear it all out. In the end some of it will go to recycle and trash but we have time to do that slowly before changing homes.

If I have an impulse to buy or try something that is speculative, after trying a rental if available, I look for it used on Craigslist or eBay, for a good price, and when I move on to the next interest, I sell it for close to what I paid.

(The next layer is Amazon refurbished and trailing edge tech for stuff I know I need)

This way I get to explore interests and satisfy the spending urge with little cash outlay. Even had a sports car for a few years that I sold for what I paid.

DW could teach Marie Kondo a few things, so anything I can’t justify taking up space gets put on the market.

This thread confirms my position that we have no sheds and must park both of our cars in the garage every night. Simple but effective.

I have two garages that are One Car Each. I have two cars in the larger one, and a bathroom in the smaller one. Not a inch of space is wasted (but much time and probably $). :hide:

One of the things this pandemic has made me think about was what "stuff" really makes me happy. I see this as a chance to Marie Kondo the hell out of my life -- what is it, that we've always done, that costs us money and I really don't miss? THAT is what to get rid of. The stuff you really miss? Keep that.

When we moved, I got rid of a shed, garage, and basement full of stuff, plus plenty of things from closets (we moved to a house that, while not small, is rather low on closet space). "Oh, if we miss something, we'll just replace it."

I cannot tell you how many items I have wished I had kept. Kitchen and household things, particularly, whose prices have zoomed and quality dipped since the last time we bought them. Or, as in the case of the 4.5-gallon dish pan, can't be found online (I wrote about trying to buy one on Amazon and getting a mislabeled smaller pan - twice).

My previous home (I was the GC) had huge workshops, welders, tractors etc. I had enough of untold stuff. Sold or gave away everything inside and outside the home and 160 acres. My home I built two years ago has three large garages. Sounds impossible but going in I made the rule that NOTHING could touch the floor of a garage unless it was a tire on a car...NOTHING. Not a lawn mower nor trash can. Don’t miss a thing. Wife on board and therefore she brings nothing home if we can’t eat it

I would eventually like to find a consignment shop that lists my items on an eBay or Facebook Marketplace. I would receive a majority of the sale price and the consignment shop would receive the remainder and shipping costs.

Does anyone know of such a service that is nation-wide? Would regular every-day shops do this type of thing?

One of the things this pandemic has made me think about was what "stuff" really makes me happy. I see this as a chance to Marie Kondo the hell out of my life -- what is it, that we've always done, that costs us money and I really don't miss? THAT is what to get rid of. The stuff you really miss? Keep that.

And yet, on another Board I'm on, I see people who seem to be compensating for being somewhat locked down by buying madly. One mentioned a Kohl's trip which yielded 4 pairs of PJs, 3 sweaters and I forget what else. Who needs pajamas, let alone 4 pairs? I sleep in a T-shirt from my giant collection. And here's a list of what one woman, who seems to be buying at least once a week, bought from Ulta recently:

A set of three face masks by Peter Thomas Roth (usually $50 each, but the set was $79)
Lancome set of 4 nude lipsticks
an eyeshadow pallet
3 NYX lip toppers
3 lip liners
A Colourpop Glossy lipstick vault (8)
A Colourpop super shock eyeshadow vault (9)
A Colourpop matte lipstick vault (12)
A 6 piece brush/sponge set
A Milani baked blush
A Milani bronzer
A Milani setting spray
A Milani foundation I've been wanting to try
A Lip exfoliator that I like
An eyeliner
A set of Smashbox lipsticks (3)
A NYX butter gloss vault (14)

With loyalty points that cost "only" $90 total. I'd love to see what her bathroom cabinet looks like.

I've always been good at avoiding junk purchases. I seriously dislike a cluttered house and if something has no purpose, I have trouble justifying the expense. I love clean lines and plenty of bare wall space. Asian and Scandinavian design are my favorites, both Spartan in their way.

My problem is, my mother is addicted to "stuff" and when she runs out of room in her house, she tries to fob it off on me. As a result, I have more detritus on horizontal surfaces in my home than ever in my life--most of it stuff I never wanted. Yet I find it hard to say no to her when she offers up one of her "pretties," because they mean something to her even if they're only dust-catchers to me.

Someday when she's gone, I could have the "mother of all garage sales" but by then, will they mean something to me because they were a source of joy to her?

There's fodder for a psychologist in this situation I'm certain!

Someday when she's gone, I could have the "mother of all garage sales" but by then, will they mean something to me because they were a source of joy to her?

There's fodder for a psychologist in this situation I'm certain!

The book I cited does a good job of addressing the psychological part of letting go of Stuff. Her suggestion is to "curate" your accumulations. Go through and choose a few favorites but pitch/donate/sell/recycle the rest. And know that the items you give up at least gave her some joy.

Due to impending home renovations, I just finished cleaning out a basement containing 20+ erasers of accumulated junk. It was a real eyeopener and we used this opportunity to get rid of a lot of stuff that we will never use again. Prime example is the crib that our kids slept in as babies - 20 years ago. We gave it away free. We aren't really big spenders as such but hate to get rid of useless things - things we think we might need at some point in the future.

If you have the room, might use it, and know how to lay your hands on it without a struggle, then I don't see a huge reason to purge it. But I figure a lot of the stuff people want to get rid of, they don't even know they have :)

The 2 neighbors on the right and left of my house are stuff hoarders. My 2 cars fit well in my 2-car garage. The neighbor on my left cannot put his 3 vehicles inside his garage, because he says it's full of stuff since they were married - that was like 20+ years ago. The neighbor on my right has the same problem, but they are able to put 1 car in their 2-car garage. Half of it are 'stuff'. He tells me that his wife is the hoarder, and he's been trying to give 'stuff' as much as he can, but still has a big problem.

Back
Top Bottom