The Need For Speed ... (well sort of at least)

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Just called to upgrade my internet only service with Comcast from a measly 3 mbps speed to a still measly but all I need speed of 60 mbps. $10 more a month for 20X faster download speed.

Best part is I was expecting an upsell to go bundled, but nope. The service rep talked to me like I am a human being :cool:.

60 mbps good speed. Had that speed for 1 year. Promo. $29.99. Now I have 15 mbps for $29.99. Comcast/Xfinity wanted $49.99 for 60mbps.

Surprised, 15 mbps works almost the same as 60 mbps. ie. youtube, movies, etc.

What is different is the "upload" speed. Before was around 5-6 mbps. Now is around
2-3 mbps. This is where you will notice the difference in "internet speed".

Slow, but not a game changer...Comcast is always offering promos, so I will just wait...

Right, too many people get hung up on 'more is better', but the reality is 'enough' is enough.

For single streaming, 3 mbps could be marginal, but 15 mbps will be fine. If you have multiple streams, 15 mps might still be fine.

At some point, ping time (round trip delay, rather than raw speed) will mean more than more bps.

-ERD50

The service I have now is called Performance Starter. $49.95/month, 60 mbps download. I would've been happy with 25 mbps speed but the next speed up was 60, at the same price of what I expected at $49.95.

Another positive is the rate is month-by-month. Not a contract that expires and the the rate creeps up.

The extra speed will come in very handy watching Sling TV during the baseball playoffs :popcorn:.

Last edited:
For years I have had Cox Cable's midlevel internet service, at 50Mbps for $79.99/month.

Recently they decided to increase the speed, without giving a reason. They haven't increased the price, either. I get 120Mbps consistently now and have had this faster-than-greased-lightning speed for several months.

I suppose the price will increase any day. But so far, so good. For me, it is a big help with every day internet surfing, downloading large podcasts, and so on. I don't get TV through Netflix or other streaming services so I don't know if it improves TV or not. YouTube seems about the same I guess?

I bet they increase the speed probably for bragging rights when advertising to new customers. Competition is a good thing.

I notice a big difference in speed now just browsing pages :D.

I bet they increase the speed probably for bragging rights when advertising to new customers. Competition is a good thing.

I notice a big difference in speed now just browsing pages :D.

Exactly!

AT&T Fiber is laying down their fiber right now and people are starting to switch over as it becomes available on their block. So maybe that is helping to motivate Cox Cable.

I don't have AT&T Fiber yet on my block, but it's not far away. I have heard of some infant mortality issues in the neighborhood, so I may wait before making up my mind about that.

60 mbps good speed. Had that speed for 1 year. Promo. $29.99. Now I have 15 mbps for $29.99. Comcast/Xfinity wanted $49.99 for 60mbps.

What is different is the "upload" speed. Before was around 5-6 mbps. Now is around
2-3 mbps. This is where you will notice the difference in "internet speed".

Slow, but not a game changer...Comcast is always offering promos, so I will just wait...

I talked them into 60Mbps at $39.99 but threatened to cancel and spoke with multiple customer retention supervisors before it happened. I despise Comcrooks!

Had 250Mbps, but I don't think my machines wifi could even handle those speeds. We'll see if I miss it. Old bill was $59.99 for 250, quite a step back.

Back
Top Bottom