What will 5G do for us?

Stick to 4G/LTE.
5G is about fixed wireless. And will cost the carriers a lot of $$$$$ to deploy, so may not be coming to your area soon.

Verizon is investing big $s in 5G, yes rollout will take a while, however, this very well could be a transformative technology the likes of which we have not seen for a very long time. Fiber/Cable wireline technologies will get hit very hard once the rollout accelerates.

Our T mobile plan has free unlimited 3G tethering(2 phones - unlimited 4g on phone $60/month includes taxes) which is too slow for everyday use but I was hoping when 5g is main stream - 4g tethering would be free. I could then get rid of my cable internet. Right now I can pay $25 per month to get 4g tethering and was thinking about eliminating the $80 for cable internet.

Verizon is investing big $s in 5G, yes rollout will take a while, however, this very well could be a transformative technology the likes of which we have not seen for a very long time. Fiber/Cable wireline technologies will get hit very hard once the rollout accelerates.
Agree.
4G/LTE is now in its 10th year of deployment.
Estimates are 5G will take 10X the number of cell sites. So it may be a while to you see them in your area to have 5G as an option for home internet.

5G will be great with time. If you are getting a phone now just get whichever one you want to buy. 5G is going to take time.

Think about IPv4 vs IPv6. You might not know too much about it but IPv4 is what our computers use for visiting almost every website. We didn't think we'd run out of "computer names" IPv4 address but we did not think about phones, IoT, and many more devices and IPv6 was created. IPv6 is hands down the next phase (comparing it to 5G). The thing is almost everything is setup for IPv4 so it is not as easy as it sounds to just move everything to the new IPv6 (or 5G for phones).

It might be a little easier to move to 5G but it is going to take time and many people are not going to want to jump to 5G right away. Cell companies do not want to lose their non-5G clients and will have plans set in place. They'll probably have great marketing to try to trick... I mean help us go to 5G but cell companies will have access for 4G and probably 3G for a while.

Congratulations if you move to 5G! Congratulations if you stay with 4G and 3G! Do what is best for you.

I really see 5G as being a big disrupter to the home markets for internet/TV, more so than what the benefits will be to mobile users.

Imoldernu, I would not say you will not be around to see this.

From digital trends .com
"Verizon announced that it will release its 5G Ultra Wideband network, which is based on the 3GPP 5G NR standard, in as many as 30 cities in 2019. It has also announced the first couple of cities to get the new tech: Minneapolis and Chicago. In those cities, Verizon’s 5G Ultra Wideband service will launch on April 11. Verizon also confirmed some details about pricing, noting that customers who want 5G will need to pay an additional $10 on top of their currently Unlimited data plan."
30 large cities would be about a 10% of us population coverage just this year. And this is just Verizon, A TT and Sprint are also planning aggressive rollouts. I don't think it will take as long to roll out as some are suggesting - especially if the $ meet or exceed projections.

I do work in security and here is the definition from NIST (national institute of information tech).

I always like to understand how things are validated, and NIST does just that for 5g

Entirely new devices and approaches are needed for 5G. That’s because many 5G systems will operate at much higher (millimeter wave) frequencies and offer more than 100 times the speed and data-carrying capacity of today’s cellphones, all while connecting billions of mobile broadband users in ever-more-crowded signal environments. NIST is focusing mainly on this category of 5G technology.
Industry’s first 5G standards, ratified in late 2017, define technologies for the use of frequency bands up to 52.6 gigahertz (GHz). Today’s cellphones operate below 3 GHz. By using new frequency bands over 3 GHz with efficient advanced technologies, 5G systems will help optimize the use of the electromagnetic spectrum, a scarce resource.
Forecasts call for 5G wireless to transmit voice, data and images in many new ways. For instance, cellphones may talk to each other directly, with their signals skipping base station antennas on cell towers entirely. Base stations, the network hubs that receive and transmit signals, may serve a high density of short communications links in many directions.
Signal strength and frequency may be varied much faster than they are today, and specific bands of frequencies may be allocated to different categories of users at different times. “Smart” antennas may choose different directions for transmitting and receiving data, or form beams to track moving users, to help expand channel capacity and extend range.
The development of these technologies will support not only future cellphones and public safety radios but also wearable devices, the internet of things, the smart grid, smart homes, next-generation automotive technologies and smart manufacturing.

https://www.nist.gov/topics/advanced-communications/what-5g

What will be measured when testing:

• Signaling and overall performance of transistors that operate at millimeter wavelengths
  • New wireless channel models
  • Antenna beam forming, beam steering and over-the-air performance
  • New methods and tests to evaluate device performance and minimize interference.

Speaking of security, US govt. has banned Huawei switches for 5G networks because of national security concerns.

They also tried to get nations around the world to bypass Huawei gear. But Huawei is underpricing the competition significantly and even in the US, there are smaller carriers who are tempted by all the financial incentives Huawei is offering.

The EU has repudiated the US lobbying, partly because of their frosty relations with the administration. And their carriers say they seen no evidence of backdoors.

So in a few years when most people have 5G phones, you may have to be wary about using them when traveling abroad.

Like most things and because of its smaller range footprint, (compared to 4G), 5G will be rolled out to where the density of customers is the greatest. Fixed mobile for apartments, condo projects, high density housing, business, etc. Mobile 5G will be spotty at best in the cities where it gets rolled out for the first few years especially.

Like most things and because of its smaller range footprint, (compared to 4G), 5G will be rolled out to where the density of customers is the greatest. Fixed mobile for apartments, condo projects, high density housing, business, etc. Mobile 5G will be spotty at best in the cities where it gets rolled out for the first few years especially.

I agree.

Like with cable, it is most profitable to do in urban high-density neighborhoods. I live in a fairly rural town, so we can not get any cable company to move here.

The same for cell towers, they are placed along the interstate, to give cellphone companies bragging rights that they have signal on the interstate. I-95 cuts through my township, so we have a celltower. But towns to either side of us, away from the interstate do not have celltowers. If 5G replaces the current cellphone technology, it will be the same. Cities and interstates will get 5G, while the remaining 95% of the nation will not see it.

I agree.

Like with cable, it is most profitable to do in urban high-density neighborhoods. I live in a fairly rural town, so we can not get any cable company to move here.

The same for cell towers, they are placed along the interstate, to give cellphone companies bragging rights that they have signal on the interstate. I-95 cuts through my township, so we have a celltower. But towns to either side of us, away from the interstate do not have celltowers. If 5G replaces the current cellphone technology, it will be the same. Cities and interstates will get 5G, while the remaining 95% of the nation will not see it.

The problem I see with Interstates is that they have to install the millimeter wave transmitters half as far or less apart than the current 4G towers. While cell towers can be anywhere from 20-45 miles apart depending on topography 5G transmitters will be "lucky" to reach 6 miles on a line of sight transmission. So while they can be mounted on a lott of different "poles" other than a cell tower they will need to be much closer together.

Interesting bit today on the MacRumors site:
Starting with the iOS 12.2 beta, AT&T began displaying a 5G Evolution or 5GE icon on iPhones, misleading AT&T subscribers into thinking they're getting 5G transfer speeds when in fact, 5G on iPhone is not supported and AT&T has no 5G network as of yet.

AT&T uses the 5GE labeling to describe its 4G LTE networks that offer features like three-way carrier aggregation, 256 QAM, and 4x4 MIMO. These options are in no way limited to AT&T and are offered by other carriers, but no other carrier has chosen to use fake 5G branding.
As should come as no surprise, a recent test from OpenSignal has proven that AT&T's 5GE network is no faster than 4G networks from Verizon and T-Mobile that have the same speed upgrades.
opensignal5ge.jpg
https://www.macrumors.com

Last edited:
I’m shocked! AT&T has such a strong record of honesty, truthfulness and credibility. If they say it’s 5G, how can it not be so. <cough>

In fact, saw a headline but didn't read the article that the AT&T 5Ge measured slower than 4G from Verizon and even T-Mobile.

Back
Top Bottom