The NextDoor Neighbor Feed is Just Ridiculous

What is worse for me is that people of color are automatically evil doers and cries of call the police are posted multiple times. My son, who is a person of color AND an attorney, had the police called him because he was jogging at dusk. I live in the south now, but really. 😡😡😡😡

A good moderator on Next Door would immediately move such postings. This kind of posting should be reported to the moderator (I am a moderator for my local Next Door and I don't allow this kind of posting).

I think Next Door is great! I have gotten several hundred board feet of rough cut cherry wood and wood working equipment. DD has gotten a very nice toddler hardwood table and chairs and a very nice bedroom set for my just-born granddaughter. Best part is it is on DD's neighborhood so I don't see any chatter. ;)

No time to read the entire thread, so this may have been mentioned already.
The number of people looking for qualified/licensed-professional-reliable........ plumbers, electricians, landscapers, etc, but don't want to pay very much.

Yeah, typical.

"we do 3 kinds of work here, good, fast and cheap. you pick 2"

The latest on our ND is about our local CVS and their incompetent pharmacy. Dozens of posts relating all the woes. The same CVS complaints as last year. They must be gluttons for punishment because there’s plenty of other pharmacies to go to but they don’t go. Why??

Here is exburbia, everytime someone sees a coyote, there is an extended discussion over how dangerous they are or are not. We had a whole den with pups in the next lot over and other than some poop and howling along with sirens, they are really no bother.

Agreed. I leave them alone, they leave us alone.

I've noticed the rabbit population is picking up while I'm not hearing the coyote's at night. It all runs in cycles.

Maybe that's why we don't have many rabbits
Well, at least so far, it's animal waste in the burbs. Downtown?...:(
Small downtown. 1 block. Town is surrounded on 3 sides by open space within 1/2 mile. That's why I moved here.

The latest on our ND is about our local CVS and their incompetent pharmacy. Dozens of posts relating all the woes. The same CVS complaints as last year. They must be gluttons for punishment because there’s plenty of other pharmacies to go to but they don’t go. Why??
Because people like to whine about their problems more than they like actually fixing them.

I look at ND when I need rec's for electricians, plumbers, etc. Cross reference those recs with Google, etc. Or to give away stuff.

But I came close to canceling my ND account when someone posted "What do you think about a person who is middle-aged and never been married moving to your neighborhood?" (in a Texas conservative area, of course).

Imagine the mid-20th century responses...

There was only one "sensible" reply: "... are unmarried people who have been with an opposite sex partner for 25+ years are OK? " and even that evoked responses about living in sin ....

Last edited:

Wow. An incompetent pharmacy is scary. My typical issue with CVS is EITHER: They don't put my scripts on auto-fill when I ask them to. They don't stop my auto-fill when I ask them to. YMMV

NextDoor seems like it could be a good place to get recommendations for a good dentist, doctor, etc. Especially if you're new in the area and don't have family/friends in the area.

Also could be a good place to ask for help with things like lifting heavy furniture or a minor project like hanging a big TV on the wall in your living room.

No time to read the entire thread, so this may have been mentioned already.
The number of people looking for qualified/licensed-professional-reliable........ plumbers, electricians, landscapers, etc, but don't want to pay very much.

We hear that on threads about employees and employment. Want ads want MA/MS/Phd, 10 yrs experience, list of experiences/qualifications, travel required. Pay: $12 Hr or competitive with others in the industry." i.e Lowest common denominator/as little as we can get away with.

Because people like to whine about their problems more than they like actually fixing them.

Hmmmmmm........ that seems to apply to many Internet forums.......

I never heard of ND so I went to the site to see if it exists here. I had to make an account so I told them my name is Joe Blow. They rejected that saying it had to be a real name! I actually knew someone whose last name is Blow. Anyway, I changed my last name to Blowkowski and the accepted it! :LOL: No ND here but I can start one, no thanks.

BTW, I never use FB but have an account to look at businesses that use it. My FB name is nothing like my real name.

I never heard of ND so I went to the site to see if it exists here. I had to make an account so I told them my name is Joe Blow. They rejected that saying it had to be a real name! I actually knew someone whose last name is Blow. Anyway, I changed my last name to Blowkowski and the accepted it! :LOL: No ND here but I can start one, no thanks.

BTW, I never use FB but have an account to look at businesses that use it. My FB name is nothing like my real name.

For the Nextdoor where I live we verify people's addresses before we let them join to be sure they are real addresses in our neighborhood and we require real names. I get contacted frequently by Nextdoor about people applying to see if I know them and I can verify them. I am a Moderator for my neighborhood.

Hey, there was actually a really good post on Nextdoor today. My county has recently created a system to detect deed fraud. If your deed changes, they send you an email - if you register. Free. I appreciate this pointer.

Every now and then Nextdoor helps.

Hey, there was actually a really good post on Nextdoor today. My county has recently created a system to detect deed fraud. If your deed changes, they send you an email - if you register. Free. I appreciate this pointer.

Every now and then Nextdoor helps.
Definitely, but you have to weed through a lot of rants and whining for the pearls. And the whiners are invariably ONLY looking for people who agree with them, are offended with readers who don't, and usually present only their biased side of a given situation.

I only go on ND when I am looking for local service recommendations, maybe local info - but I'd never go there for recreation reading or learning - as I often do at ER.org.

Last edited:
What is worse for me is that people of color are automatically evil doers and cries of call the police are posted multiple times. My son, who is a person of color AND an attorney, had the police called him because he was jogging at dusk. I live in the south now, but really. ��������

I had the police called on me by neighbors at least three times that I can recall.

Once, when I was about ten years old, and running around peeking under cars and such on a Sunday afternoon looking for a white rabbit. The police did come and looked under the car I pointed out, and the rabbit looked back at him. (The rabbit eventually got tired of playing and agreed to be caught.)

I do recall my father getting involved in the poop wars. One of our neighbors had two St. Bernards whom would poop on our front lawn. Yes, they were caught in the act. After several complaints to the neighbors, DF starting returning the poops . . . No police were called, just ahem, poop transfers.

Once, our next door neighbor called the police when my six year old threw a ball into his yard.

The same neighbor called the police on us a few years later due to a car of ours leaking oil.

I have never called the police on a neighbor. Maybe if I was concerned about child or animal abuse, but otherwise, I don't see it. Our neighborhood is diverse. Joggers are normal here. I do not see well enough to ascertain the race of a jogger at dusk - nor would I care.

I never heard of this website before this thread and, at least for now, I am not interested in checking it out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom