The Technology of tracking your college freshman...

I sit here in utter amazement; not only did he open a book (calculus). He spent a good three hours on his homework. Fortunately my daughter and her boyfriend were home and both tutored calculus in college. Plenty of help was sought and given.

I was so impressed I stayed up and helped him craft his first paper for his English class. The subject was what did I learn from my first job. Working in a supermarket for just above minimum wage and dealing with nasty customers provided plenty of fodder ...

Metamorphosis? I am hopeful. I encouraged him to get tutorial help and join a study group. Calculus has been the Bain of many a freshmen's existence. I believe If the help is available go and get it.

There ya go, they can surprise you can't they. If you bought a meal plan I don't understand the comment about checking for food charges.Trust the kid to at least feed himself. First you said he was too podgy and now you say he's too skinny..give him a break on the food and leave him alone. You can't manage his food intake remotely.

Ray, from the perspective of being the mother of six sons (all very different) I think you are doing just fine. There is nothing wrong with some reasonable monitoring.

If nothing else, resist the urge to sit in on his first interview after college. I hear that is happening these days.

There ya go, they can surprise you can't they. If you bought a meal plan I don't understand the comment about checking for food charges.

He told us he just wasn't eating at the cafeteria... i was and am concerned about making certain he ate enough and had regular healthy meals. When he was working He got in the habit of skipping meals. His mother complained "he doesn't eat." It's my opinion he's just too lazy to walk over there.

If nothing else, resist the urge to sit in on his first interview after college. I hear that is happening these days.

Mike I'm just happy he texted his mother at 3:00PM he made it safely back to campus. He left at 1:20PM. If he even gets an interview he'll be doing better then many grads today. My daughter did it all on her own I'll expect the same from him.

Last edited:
I went away to college at 6'3" and 165 lbs. At the end of the first year, I weighed 210 lbs. We had a meal card with unlimited seconds. We also at at least one meal out daily and drank massive amounts of beer.

And to think my parents never said a word about the weight gain. It's very common for college students when they "grow up." I'm just glad my parents didn't have access to an ATM card 1968 to 1972.

Back
Top Bottom