Things are Better than You Think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brook2

Recycles dryer sheets
Do you know of any podcasts, books, films that talk about how things are actually getting better in the world? I found these 3 books that have facts and figures about things we assume are getting worse, such as health, homeless, education, wealth - but they are actually getting better. We are bombarded by news stories that will often look at one year of statistical change and make a headline news story of how terrible things are. I think all the negativity causes a lot of young people to believe their future is doomed.

For example people believe homeless is in increasing in the country, when it has actually gone down - it’s just that the concentration of where it is, has changed. So the people who live in those areas experience it going up

I found these three books that talk about this.
Factfulness
Abundance
Enlightenment Now

If you scan the news headlines - try to find a story of how much better something is, that we should all celebrate. "World Hunger is improved by in the last 10 years" -- I never see it in the news.

Last edited:
Good news does not sell papers or TV ads.

If it bleeds, it leads. :angel:

The problem is, people make policies around incorrect information. For example where I live they made a law for a soda tax, and after it was imposed, headline news said there was a big % reduction in people drinking soda. Turns out, a statistics professor looked at the stats and found out it was all based on whoever wanted to call in and to self-report whether they drank less soda. And actually soda drinking stayed the same.

Another thing they've imposed here is an ordinance to prevent sugary items at the check out counter, to reduce diabetes. But the things the ordinance allows them to replace it with are just as sugary (for a diabetic) such as orange juice. The ordinance was not based on science of what increases diabetes sugar spikes.

Neither of these things I have a strong opinion about - it's just that it's been turned into a policy based on incorrect or lacking information.

My examples may not be the best (since diabetes may actually be getting worse), but that laws and policies are based on well-intended motivations rather than statistical information. And then people think it is a fact and use it to make policy.

Last edited:
I have found that the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, is never sufficiently self-serving. Even when it is on your/your group's side, it's not enough.

to your point, it seems to me that many government policies these days are based on incorrect facts and assumptions.

That and s government which is not accountable to the people makes a witches brew.

99% Invisible is a sound-rich, narrative podcast hosted by Roman Mars about all the thought that goes into the things we don’t think about — the unnoticed architecture and design that shape our world.
https://99percentinvisible.org

Good news does not sell papers or TV ads.

If it bleeds, it leads. :angel:

That's a big, big part of it. And a gullible populace that eats it up, rather than to apply some healthy skepticism and put in the time and effort to research on their own.

to your point, it seems to me that many government policies these days are based on incorrect facts and assumptions. ...

I don't want to take this political, but part of that is a misinformed vocal public making demands. (edit/add: I see razztazz just posted the same)

I'll need to look it up later, there are a couple books that help to put our fears and worries in perspective, and I think they also touch on how much better so many things are. I've only read the summaries, if I can find the title(s) I may dig deep enough to read the whole book(s).

-ERD50

Humans enjoy drama. If there isn't any, humans make some up.

Just a general comment to some of the above responses, but when someone prefaces a comment with 'Not to make this political,' , my experience is that they then go on to do exactly that.

If your comments are truly not political, than no disclaimer should ever be needed.

The two that immediately came to mind were Enlightenment Now (which you already mentioned, AWESOME book) and "Ten Global Trends Every Smart Person Should Know". I hate the title, but the book really simplifies how good (and getting better) many things really are.

I too am on a search for "the truth", which is shockingly hard to find these days. Everyone is trying to prove a point. Not many are just trying to share the facts. As for our delightful news system, one site I check daily now is Ground News. Instead of generating news, they share stories that are being reported mostly by only one political side. It's interesting to see what's ignored by "each half" of the country...

https://ground.news/
https://a.co/d/eoQcTwS

Everyone please read or reread the opening post.

Do you know of any podcasts, books, films that talk about how things are actually getting better in the world?

Let’s all leave the cynical and snarky views for some other thread and help the OP (and ourselves) explore this request.

Just a general comment to some of the above responses, but when someone prefaces a comment with 'Not to make this political,' , my experience is that they then go on to do exactly that.

If your comments are truly not political, than no disclaimer should ever be needed.
"With all due respect..."

Here is a very interesting video from Mark Rober on Youtube. While it is about the future of using drones for deliveries, there is much more to the story here. His channel is educational as well as inspirational! IMO.

I have The Good News Network app on my phone.
Good news to read at the end of the day.

Here is a very interesting video from Mark Rober on Youtube. While it is about the future of using drones for deliveries, there is much more to the story here. His channel is educational as well as inspirational! IMO.

My buddy is the chief engineer for these guys. He loves working there- pretty cool tech.

This is probably my favorite escape from Media. The stories of truth are much stranger than fiction and they help put a healthy perspective on today's world.

https://hiddenbrain.org/

One of my favorites! Always bummed when I'm listening to it in the car on my way somewhere and can't stay there all the way to the end....

Maybe you'd enjoy the podcast On Being with Krista Tippett, which I find thoughtful and gently optimistic?
BR

I found inspiration in an odd place. Going through old music, I came across Barry McGuire's Eve of Destruction. It's a very pessimistic song from 1965. Obviously there was a lot to fear back then. Many similarities to today. Yet here we are 58 years later. 1965 wasn't the eve of destruction. In many ways we're better off today. Maybe we'll get through today's troubles, too.

Whenever I get that curmudgeon "world is going to h*ll in a hand basket" attitude, I think of this song:

My buddy is the chief engineer for these guys. He loves working there- pretty cool tech.

Very cool! Mark Rober strikes me as a very upbeat and positive person to be around. Pretty darn smart as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom