Things that make you feel good

Just finished a Zoom meeting with about 20 folks I know back on the mainland. Almost like Thanksgiving (without the food!) I miss our usual trip to see everyone but Zoom takes some of the sting out of our isolation situation.

Just seeing everyone makes me look forward to saying "good bye" to 2020. I never think much of the "New Year" but I think I'll celebrate this year. May God grant us a wonderful 2021!

Just finished a Zoom meeting with about 20 folks I know back on the mainland. Almost like Thanksgiving (without the food!) I miss our usual trip to see everyone but Zoom takes some of the sting out of our isolation situation.

Just seeing everyone makes me look forward to saying "good bye" to 2020. I never think much of the "New Year" but I think I'll celebrate this year. May God grant us a wonderful 2021!

I’ll be a negative Nancy, and comment that I’m absolutely sick of Zoom. It’s obviously been great technology for the past few months. But I’ll be first in line with a shovel to bury it, when it’s no longer needed due to Covid.

I’ll be a positive Paul, and fully agree with your sentiments for 2021. May God bless it indeed!

Yesterday, I met Nora while I was mowing the lawn. She appeared to be about one year old and was waving to me as she was being pushed down the street in her car shaped stroller. I stopped to say hello to Nora and her Mimi, who was doing the pushing. Mimi told me that Nora is fascinated by lawnmowers and specifically asked to be pushed around the corner from her home and down the street to my house when she heard me out mowing. After a minute of admiring my mower and learning about her bubble mower, I went back to mowing and Nora and Mimi went back home. It was a brief thing, but it really made my day. I am so happy that families with children have been moving into my neighborhood over the past year. It had been a neighborhood of solely old retired people for far too long.

Last edited:
My neighbor, with whom I have had an ongoing Cold War due to his inability to recognize the physical or social boundaries of others, put his house on the market. Today, he started loading the POD in front of his house.

I called GreatCall today to change the address on my mom's account. The customer rep's system was slow today, so we started chatting. Turned out she's in Carson City NV, one of the towns that DH and I are considering as a retirement destination. Had a nice talk with the rep, who sounded really jazzed about the area. It was great to get that kind of connection with a real person on a customer service call.

FaceTime with my folks on the weekend. We usually manage to hang out together for an hour or two. I've been on the West Coast for two decades so I generally only see them a few times a year, but several years ago I started FaceTiming them regularly, and got them used to the idea we can just hang out and putter around our houses, they don't have to sit at rapt attention, I''m happy to experience them prepping meals or share my meal prepping with them. It's been pretty great.

Went on a nice easy Fall hike nearby with my husband that started with a beautiful pond and ended with a spectacular view of the mountains and lakes here in NH.

Attachments

• EC5476E3-2DCA-45B7-9F86-96AB18C161A7.jpg
    EC5476E3-2DCA-45B7-9F86-96AB18C161A7.jpg
    881.6 KB · Views: 34
  • A8AAE03D-FE08-4AFA-9B82-998E6B32A14E.jpg
    A8AAE03D-FE08-4AFA-9B82-998E6B32A14E.jpg
    650.6 KB · Views: 33
Went on a nice easy Fall hike nearby with my husband that started with a beautiful pond and ended with a spectacular view of the mountains and lakes here in NH.

Very Nice.
This is one reason I live in NH.
Looks like the Waterville valley area?

Very Nice.
This is one reason I live in NH.
Looks like the Waterville valley area?

It’s actually Sky Pond State Forest and the Bald Ledge Trail in New Hampton. The view is past Red Hill to Winona, Squam and Waukewan and Winnipesauke lakes and the Belknap and Sandwich and Ossipee and Squam Mountain ranges.

Last edited:
Last week after a long and tiring day (my wife just had total knee replacement so caring for her as well as shopping, cooking, cleaning, walking dog, etc.) we sat down to relax at 7:45pm when our 96 year old neighbor Ida called. Her smoke alarm in the bedroom was doing that annoying beep every 30 seconds. So I got up off my Lazyboy, put my glass of wine down, grabbed a 9V battery and went next door.
Ida is amazing she takes care of her 60 year old daughter who has MS and lives down the street and her son-in-law is waiting for a liver transplant but she was smart enough not to try to get on a stool to fix the smoke alarm. I quickly changed the battery and the look of appreciation on her face was priceless and I skipped back home so glad to relieve her of that small burden.

Last week after a long and tiring day (my wife just had total knee replacement so caring for her as well as shopping, cooking, cleaning, walking dog, etc.) we sat down to relax at 7:45pm when our 96 year old neighbor Ida called. Her smoke alarm in the bedroom was doing that annoying beep every 30 seconds. So I got up off my Lazyboy, put my glass of wine down, grabbed a 9V battery and went next door.
Ida is amazing she takes care of her 60 year old daughter who has MS and lives down the street and her son-in-law is waiting for a liver transplant but she was smart enough not to try to get on a stool to fix the smoke alarm. I quickly changed the battery and the look of appreciation on her face was priceless and I skipped back home so glad to relieve her of that small burden.

The simplest things can often bring us the most pleasure. Sometimes meeting the need of someone else is more rewarding than receiving a gift ourselves. Blessings on you.

Everything!

I have been floating around in a cloud of gratitude all day today. Ever since retiring three years ago at age 58 I have had episodes of overwhelming gratitude, but this is the first time it’s lasted literally all day.

There’s not one particular thing I can point to; rather it’s sort of the gestalt of my life right now that makes me grateful. I have enough $ to pay the bills, to get good groceries, to go out to eat occasionally (outside socially distanced, of course), to buy art supplies, to buy gifts for my loved ones, and to not worry much about aging. I have someone to share my life with, and great friends to meet for meals and/or conversation. I have lots of hobbies and interests. My house is paid off. I live in a great neighborhood a couple of blocks from a fabulous large wooded park. I live 90 minutes from beautiful wooded state forests and Appalachian mountains. I live 1-2 miles from Trader Joe’s and Home Depot and walking distance from a wonderful food co-op. I have more clothes than I need. I have a little raised bed garden that kept us in tomatoes, beans, lettuce, and basil for months. I’m in reasonably good shape for my age.

I am so damned fortunate and so grateful to my younger self who saved zealously and embraced LBYM.

And I don’t have to get up and go to w*rk and wear clothes that I hate and manage up (incompetent and narcissistic boss) and sit at a computer for 10-12 hours/day.

+1
Attitude of Gratitude is one of my mantras.

Back
Top Bottom